SASS Wire Forum

An apology to my police officer / law enforcement pards

Pat Riot

Utah Bob, The Original Lumpy Gritz, Lawdog Dago Dom, Black Angus McPherson and all my pards who serve and have served as law enforcement I humbly apologize for being a flippant arse in regards to my comments regarding the “Cop Humor” thread.

My intent was to make a point about some bad interactions with police I have had but in making that point I alienated and impugned some of the people I admire and have great respect for. That was not my intention and I truly apologize for my comments.

Please accept my apology.

Kindest and most respectful regards,

Pat Riot

Reminds me of the scene from The Godfather where Don Corleone addresses the "commission."

"How do things get so far"?

It's the curse of email. I can't see your expressions, or hear your tone or inflection. Some email statements that appear harsh would be chuckled at during a face to face chat.

Yes, there are people that should not be the police (Scott Peterson, for one).  I have worked with a few. In the Illinois State Police we promote the biggest jerks to desk jobs so they don't interact with the motoring public. Doesn't that sound harsh? But that same statement with a smile and a nudge can be humorous. I know that because I used it on a friend who rose to the rank of Major. We both had a good laugh.

You know how law abiding gun owners get defensive when they try to lump us together with criminals that use guns unlawfully?  Yep. Same here.

I have had instances where I had to speak with current police after retirement. Friends/neighbors would ask, "Why didn't you show him your badge"? Because I want them to handle the situation like they would for anyone else. Because, quite frankly, I am anyone else.

That took a lot of character for Pat to put this out here. Duly noted and appreciated.

Now Pat buys the next round and my Uber to get home!

Understand completely, Pard. No problem.

Archived