SASS Wire Forum

One Small Step to Protect Human Heritage in Space Act.

Subdeacon Joe

https://www.space.com/congress-protect-apollo-11-landing-site.html?fbclid=IwAR3iP3-GEH_xqpD_x4J7Ft0b8D2P8DogP70q0XAaG4QwZMXPUFCv9p67O-o

Senators Gary Peters (D-Mich.) and Ted Cruz (R-Tex.) have introduced a bill — the One Small Step to Protect Human Heritage in Space Act — that seeks to preserve and protect the historic Apollo 11 landing site.

The bill notes that the lunar landing sites of the Apollo 11 spacecraft, the robotic spacecraft that preceded the Apollo 11 mission, and the piloted and robotic spacecraft that followed "are of outstanding universal value to humanity."

The Act explains that such landing sites: are the first archaeological locales with human activity that are not on Earth; provide evidence of the first achievements of humankind in the realm of space travel and exploration; and contain artifacts and other evidence of human exploration activities that remain a potential source of cultural, historical, archaeological, anthropological, scientific and engineering knowledge.

V9K6TfdnsD5YdnNMvTyD77-970-80.jpg

I think they are doing this so that when Japan and the US have that joint Moon mission I have been hearing about the US can claim these areas as ours just in case the Japanese get a little overzealous staking territory, maybe. It also maybe the first step in claiming the moon as US property.

Imagine a world at war over a moon...sounds very Heinlein, doesn’t it?

59 minutes ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

The detritus that remains from that mission was considered expendable at the time, and like empty C-ration containers, it still is. I think the senators should be focusing time and resources on more pressing matters.  JMO.

Feel good legislation.

I'm thinking that since we are getting fairly close (say, 10 to 15 years from now) to private exploration of Luna the senators are wanting to, for a change, be ahead of the situation and let treasure hunters know that looting won't be tolerated.  Bringing this stuff back to sell on the collectors market could be lucrative.

I can see people in 50 years making vacation plans to go visit “Small step for man” Inter-National Park.

16 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

We do have a tendency to exaggerate our importance in the world.  “Galaxial Park”

That works too. ;)

In the first place, the more likely locations for at least near-term exploration will be at the Lunar poles (Shackleton crater in particular!).  The Apollo landing sites were all in the equatorial regions.  Anyway, those pictures of the Apollo 11 landing site are all part of a conspiracy....right? :ph34r:  The real competition will be between the U.S. and China...unless we keep messing around with the SLS booster and the Gateway lunar satellite program.  More than likely, SpaceX will hav their own private astronauts fly up from "Muskport" on the Moon to greet the late-comers from NASA! ^_^

5 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I can see people in 50 years making vacation plans to go visit “Small step for man” Inter-National Park.

I'm stll waiting for my flying ar they promised in the fifties. :lol:

2 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

I'm stll waiting for my flying ar they promised in the fifties. :lol:

Me too! :D

1 hour ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

China will land a couple guys there bring back a bunch of rocks and the stuff we left, copy it all and sell then worldwide.

As far as making a huge fortune from lunar rock souveniers, look at the guy who sold Earth pet rocks! :P

Archived