SASS Wire Forum

How long should an exhaust system last?

I had the exhaust system on my 2006 Tundra replaced back in November of 2015. A few weeks ago I notice one of the pipes was hanging funny. Upon further inspection I noticed it was rotting through near the muffler. Today it totally came off with a little help from me. I reside in central Pa and during the winter they are generous with the salt on the roads. But have never had that happen before on a vehicle...I am the 2nd owner so do not know if the system I replaced was original to the vehicle. Curious as to what others think on this topic. 

Hochbauer

Was the new exhaust built at a muffler shop? I remember those muffler shop exhaust systems not lasting quite as long as factory exhausts but they were a heck of a lot more reasonably priced. This was 30+ years ago, though. 4 years ago would be about the norm.

It also depends on how much you drive the vehicle after start up.

Most exhaust systems rust out from the inside.

Hint-Lowest part of the muffler-Drill a 1/8" hole for a drain, for the condensation that can build up from short trips.

When you have it replaced-Tell the shop to use 'heavy-walled' pipe.

OLG

A good factory exhaust can last many years if the vehicle is driven long enough to get the system up to running temperature.  When I worked as a line mechanic in a private shop, I replaced pipes and mufflers that were fifteen years old and more and some that were only a few, (read three to five years) years old.  The difference was that the short lived systems most often belonged to folks who lived and worked in the same neighborhood/vicinity.  The cars that commuted from out in the distant burbs and the rural areas seemed to last much longer.  Many folks only drive to the store, church, and to a nearby job.  The only time they get the car up to running temp is when they take a vacation or visit relatives that live a good distance away!  Emission controlled cars are the worst.  If they don't get up to temp, the fuel system is still running in open loop, (read artificially enriched) the catalyst doesn't process the richer mixture well, and the resulting chemical waste is far more corrosive and is not evaporated.  These corrosives eat the metal tubing from the inside out.

I wondered about this aloud one afternoon and my boss offered this explanation.  Over the next couple of years, he and I compared notes on muffler/exhaust replacements and the resulting statistics closely backed up the hypothesis!!  And yes!!  Factory exhaust parts are usually better, material wise, than parts house/muffler shop replacements.  Not always, but generally.

I ran open headers on my 69 Camaro. Made it kinda hard to sneak home late......

My 2005 Sierra had the factory exhaust on it when I traded it in last October. Looked brand new.

Howdy,

A friend had a dodge omni that had a durable exhaust system.

It was one of the first stainless systems put on factory.

Years back I replaced some systems every year or two.

Just a few iron parts will ruin a system.

A Toyota van had 170k and I never replaced exhaust anything.

AC system was a whole different story. Six or more trips for work.

In fairness, once fixed it was a rolling icebox.

I would get stainless and keep the repair bills to show future purchaser.

Best

CR

10 hours ago, J. Mark Flint #31954 LIFE said:

stainless will last longer, but the price difference is pretty extreme!  just run open headers and it will be less of a problem.  you are welcome for the information. ;0

Even headers  will rust, except stainless. Use the money saved to pay the tickets. win-win

Imis

I haven't replaced an exhaust system component on our cars in over 30 years; stainless solved that nightmare.  Before that, I have memories of chisels, hacksaws, torches, fiberglass "muffler bandage", coat hangers and "universal tailpipes".  Never again.

LL

Howdy,

I had a volvo that was mostly tin cans that were cut and bonded to the pipes.

I used a lot of hose clamps.  I was happy to see that mess leave.

Volvo seats were comfy tho.

Best

CR

My 1991 Toyota Truck is 240k miles, original exhaust.

We do not live in a winter salt environment.
We did spend 16 months in San Diego.. 1 block from the ocean, and that TORE UP the aluminum and most of the steel undercarriage.

Archived