SASS Wire Forum

Shooting Frontiersman.

Sedalia Dave

Branching out from Frontier Cartridge Duelist into Frontiersman. Shot my 1860s for a full match for the third time Saturday.

First Match 1 malfunction and 1 miss,

Second Match 2 Malfunctions and 1 miss

Third Match Almost no breeze and very high humidity made for some challenging stages. But when the scores were read at the end of the match it was revealed I didn't have any misses. While my my performance was far from clean, I still got to add another flag to my Clean Match plaque. :)

Frontiersman is a BLAST!

I think Dawg is on a mission to convert us all to Frontiersman B)

As soon as I get a little more comfortable loading them I'm gonna shoot cap & ball; that and acquire just a few more supplies.

15 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

I think Dawg is on a mission to convert us all to Frontiersman B)

As soon as I get a little more comfortable loading them I'm gonna shoot cap & ball; that and acquire just a few more supplies.

What you need I might have....

Texas Lizard

Most of the Dawg's extra seem end up in my place...

5 minutes ago, Texas Lizard said:

What you need I might have....

Texas Lizard

Most of the Dawg's extra seem end up in my place...

Wads, balls, caps, maybe an extra capper? I think I got the guns covered for now :D

2 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Wads, balls, caps, maybe an extra capper? I think I got the guns covered for now :D

Cappers yes, extra guns....I think I have 2 or 3 dozen to choose from...Taking the Remingtons to EOT...Hoping someone can use them...

Texas Lizard

After I made my loading stand, decided on the correct powder charge and got the basics down I have been practising loading while shooting at the match. 

I only shoot Frontiersman when the posse is large enough that I can still do posse duties.  I try to shoot early so that I can reload and still help out. Right now it takes me 4 to 5 shooters to reload but I am getting better as it used to take 5 or 6 shooters.

I have also opted to correct malfunctions on the clock rather than take the miss. It is more realistic when every second counts. I still need more practice recognizing what caused the hangup so I can correct it in a timely manner. 

Couple more matches with the 1860s and then I will switch to the 1858s and see where they need improvement.

7 hours ago, Texas Lizard said:

Cappers yes, extra guns....I think I have 2 or 3 dozen to choose from...Taking the Remingtons to EOT...Hoping someone can use them...

Texas Lizard

I love the Polish Capper. By the end of the second match I have its operation down pat. Dump in a can of caps and give it a gentle  shake to right as many caps as possible. Then I use my nipple prick to orient the last few caps.

I know a lot of folks may be jealous of them because they look cool and all, but I don't see the need to be shooting frontiersman. 

We need all the cowboys on the range that we can get. And if we start shooting some....

Seriously, what did they ever do to you?

:D

In all true seriousness, I love a good, well running set of open tops.

And, I have often said, there is no harder way to go about playing this game than gunfighter with cap guns.

38 minutes ago, Branchwater Jack SASS #88854 said:

And, I have often said, there is no harder way to go about playing this game than gunfighter with cap guns.

Yeah, but it is SO MUCH FUN!

I've tried it a couple times because..... well....they're just cool as heck! I found it to be a PITA and I spent most of my time loading instead of working and BS...ing. The guys that shoot it are dedicated and I have to admire that! Ya'll have fun!!:P

2 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

I love the Polish Capper. By the end of the second match I have its operation down pat. Dump in a can of caps and give it a gentle  shake to right as many caps as possible. Then I use my nipple prick to orient the last few caps.

Yes I have also...Going to play with this weekend at home and get the feel...Sure is well made...

Texas Lizard

I’m in deep. Shot 4 cap guns the first shoot of the year. 2 caps n 2 conversions the second shoot. Goin out with 4 caps this weekend. I find that with each outtin the loading gets easier and I get a bit quicker. Finding what works for you is key. 

I loaded my ‘51 and ‘60 in hand with no stand or press last time. Worked good. I also swapped 2 spare, pre loaded cylinders on the ‘60, also worked good. Not sure about loading the Walkers in hand but I hope to have some paper cartridge charges made up for them to cut the need for a flask and measure. 

It’s a whole new game now. 

H..rumpf... bunch of "johnny-come-latelys"...  What we need is "Frontiersman Gunfighter"!  :ph34r:

Up here We don't Shoot "Frontiersman " ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, We shoot the whole Bunch of Frontiersmen .....

They is a bunch of Dirty, Smokey and Mangy ner do gooders ... <_<:P:wacko:

But We do it with Real Black Powder ,,,No subs allowed ...

Jabez Cowboy

PLUS ONE to Prairie Dawg ...... Cap Gun Gunfighters ROCK!!!

PLUS ONE to Griff ...... WAIT!!  For just 20 Cents more with your order ..... Ain't Cap Gun Gunfighter an Frontiersman Gunfighter real similar??  Maybe even the same thing .. er .. almost??  Dawg and I was Frontier Cartridge Gunfighters before THEY went and made that illegitimate so now I guess the next step is Frontiersman Gunfighter.  Or ..... in my case ..... Silver Senior Frontiersman Gunfighter.  Cap Guns ROCK!!!

Remember ...... Iffin yer gonna be shootin Cap Guns, needs be you should be shootin a Hammer Double too!!!  Don't be a piker (whatever that is) 

1 minute ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

PLUS ONE to Prairie Dawg ...... Cap Gun Gunfighters ROCK!!!

PLUS ONE to Griff ...... WAIT!!  For just 20 Cents more with your order ..... Ain't Cap Gun Gunfighter an Frontiersman Gunfighter real similar??  Maybe even the same thing .. er .. almost??  Dawg and I was Frontier Cartridge Gunfighters before THEY went and made that illegitimate so now I guess the next step is Frontiersman Gunfighter.  Or ..... in my case ..... Silver Senior Frontiersman Gunfighter.  Cap Guns ROCK!!!

Remember ...... Iffin yer gonna be shootin Cap Guns, needs be you should be shootin a Hammer Double too!!!  Don't be a piker (whatever that is) 

AND a Henry...  :ph34r:  (and I don't mean one o'them "fake" Henrys), gotta be an 1860 Henry!

C&B pistols, with real BP is my firearms first love. It's my favorite way to shoot.

I just barely shot my first match a couple weeks ago, and I used two C&B Colts with conversion cylinders. Since it was my first match, I knew I'd be nervous and slow, so I didn't want to hold everyone up anymore than I already was. So I chose to shoot the conversions. But the day will come when I shoot Frontiersman almost exclusively.

Black powder is the only way to go! 

8 minutes ago, Griff said:

Don't Own a Hammered Double but I was shooting my 1887 :wub:. That should be worth at least an honorable mention. :D

26 minutes ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Definition of piker. 1 : one who gambles or speculates with small amounts of money. 2 : one who does things in a small way also : tightwad, cheapskate.

PLUS ONE or even TWO to Griff .... again.

I completely forgot, Cap Gun guys and gals should also be Shooting Henry Rifles.  And yes, 1860 pattern Henry Rifles.  I only have four Henry rifles so it's hard to pick one for a match ..... but I manage. :)

PLUS .... PLUS ONE to Sedalia Dave.  Shooting one of those mechanical abominations with that weird "crank handle" thingie  is uber cool too.  I have a hard time manipulating one though.  Just don't "break open" so swell.  :wacko:

Goody!!  Thanks for your definition.  We'll take door number 2.  :rolleyes:

Welcome!  It be the funnest way to shoot!! 

I watched the frontiersman match last weekend.  It sure did look fun.  Fun enough that I have research and shopping to do now...

4 hours ago, Goody, SASS #26190 said:

Definition of piker. 1 : one who gambles or speculates with small amounts of money. 2 : one who does things in a small way also : tightwad, cheapskate.

I thought a piker was just someone from Pennsyltucky!!:P

A 66 would seem to fit in just fine as well ,,,, least to me as I have Two ....

I often shoot a Hammered Underlever Husky made in 1884 in Sweet 16 ...

Jabez Cowboy

It's teaching the TO and Others not to Trample them that is Hard ,,,, .38 Wcf. cases included ....

Expensive brass Hulls like 16 ga .... Need to be stepped over not on ...

Jabez Cowboy

25 minutes ago, Jabez Cowboy,SASS # 50129 said:

It's teaching the TO and Others not to Trample them that is Hard ,,,, .38 Wcf. cases included ....

Expensive brass Hulls like 16 ga .... Need to be stepped over not on ...

Jabez Cowboy

+1000

Archived