SASS Wire Forum

Shooting Frontiersman.

Sedalia Dave

PLUS ONE Catlow.  I never get wind from behind.  Normally, I don't even get a breeze .... from any direction. :ph34r:

Well, If breaking wind, it comes from behind ................ :wacko:

1 hour ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

PLUS ONE Catlow.  I never get wind from behind.  Normally, I don't even get a breeze .... from any direction. :ph34r:

Well, If breaking wind, it comes from behind ................ :wacko:

Simply pirouette when you break wind, CC.  Problem solved.:ph34r:

Hey @Colorado Coffinmaker how's this for my first cap rake? 

Yeah, putting it in brass was really easy, but I thought I'd try that before a steel one. I know some like slixx nipples better, but Treso is what I have on hand.

First 10 rounds fired just as smooth and good as a tuned suppository gun :D

20190608_181624.jpg

20190608_181651.jpg

I have not gotten around to the cap rakes just yet. Have shot 420 rounds on 4 different uberti colt clones using sliXshot nipples and rem #10 caps. I have not had any cap sucks causing a jam but I did find 2 mashed caps stuck in the hammer channel. It has only been luck though. I’ve had a few hanger ons drag but not enough to stop the cylinder from spinning. 

I was shooting JWS gunfighter until the day the Grey Matter Committee decided to chime in and ask “What are you going to do when your shootin’ iron jams and you’re standing there without a third hand?”

Well, I’m shootin’ double duelist until I lock the doors on the GMC. 

;)

I joined the BP party last week, shooting my first frontiersmen match, and shooting my ROAs for the first time too.  First stage I had six misfires, second stage I had four misfires, third stage I only had two misfires, and by stage four EVERYTHING WORKED ! I loved every second. Of course, I wanted to enjoy the smoke and the fire of black powder, but I found myself focused on targets instead - what the heck, who put the targets so far back and covered them in a cloud !!??!! (Sarcasm added by the author for humor). Yeah, I'm addicted too.

13 hours ago, T-Square said:

I joined the BP party last week, shooting my first frontiersmen match, and shooting my ROAs for the first time too.  First stage I had six misfires, second stage I had four misfires, third stage I only had two misfires, and by stage four EVERYTHING WORKED ! I loved every second. Of course, I wanted to enjoy the smoke and the fire of black powder, but I found myself focused on targets instead - what the heck, who put the targets so far back and covered them in a cloud !!??!! (Sarcasm added by the author for humor). Yeah, I'm addicted too.

Fun Isn't :) 

I have been shooting FCD for about 3 years now and decided to try Frontiersman this year.

Yesterday I tried out my 44 Cal 1858's. Need to work on the springs as stock springs are way to stiff even with the tension screws backed all the way out. As you can see very little if any breeze.  Had to pick the shotgun targets I could see. 

3 hours ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Sedalia Dave !! :D

Whazzat funny lookin rifle yer shootin   :rolleyes:

Good enough for the Duke, good enough for me. :P

BTW it runs flawlessly. So far I have been unable to out run it and it will shoot 18 stages of 38 Special loaded with APP with nary a complaint.

Some day I'll get an 1860 Henry in 44 WCF. 

21 hours ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Hey @Colorado Coffinmaker how's this for my first cap rake? 

Yeah, putting it in brass was really easy, but I thought I'd try that before a steel one. I know some like slixx nipples better, but Treso is what I have on hand.

First 10 rounds fired just as smooth and good as a tuned suppository gun :D

20190608_181624.jpg

20190608_181651.jpg

That is beautiful work.  Obviously you know your way around a shop.  May I ask what you used for the post, and what tools you used to relieve the hammer face?

21 minutes ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

That is beautiful work.  Obviously you know your way around a shop.  May I ask what you used for the post, and what tools you used to relieve the hammer face?

Thanks!

At the recommendation of Colorado Coffinmaker I used a 5/64 drill bit secured with JB Quick. I used a regular fiberglass cutoff wheel to shape the post after installation. For the hammer channel I used a stack of 3 cutoff discs that think i got at Wal-Mart; they're a smaller .93 diameter.

I used a good center punch to locate the hole. I have a cross slide milling vise which also helps drilling. I found out working on flintlocks that an optivisor with a decent light is indispensable.

Almost finished with the mate, just needs a little cleaning up and polishing :) 

I might try to do a pictorial of my own when I tackle the 2 steel frame Armies I bought the other day. I also may try a 3-56 stainless threaded rod for one of those.

20190609_163502_resize_47.thumb.jpg.d809b57d577d5012c15c75b2c8dd98ef.jpg20190609_163457_resize_59.thumb.jpg.d7bb0c1d11a451e7c0d783a8e3619a88.jpg20190609_162659_resize_93.thumb.jpg.39656af642321e531b520d14deb5c8f8.jpg20190609_162620_resize_9.thumb.jpg.715a6aa5005d90025bfe931554345c7f.jpg20190609_162615_resize_24.thumb.jpg.376791987c97bcc80e67b5b4ea7e12ba.jpg20190609_162717_resize_71.thumb.jpg.9e472b5bd1708c0b9d2ef84f889dd89c.jpg

Sedalia Dave  :P

Some time back when I was still in business, I found the '92 to be a really fun rifle.  A little judicious rubbin-n-buffin and some springs and they will run really fast and reliable.

Good enough for the Duke, good enough for the games.  Play On!!!

On 6/9/2019 at 2:28 PM, Sedalia Dave said:

Some day I'll get an 1860 Henry in 44 WCF. 

Well Dave, I happen to know someone(:rolleyes:) who might be able to help you out with that.  

• 2 weeks later...

Yeeha!, made it through 5 stages today shooting cap guns; it was a BLAST. I blame Dang Prairie Dawg and Coffinmaker for gettin' me hooked, it's like I'm strung out on drugs or something :lol:

Beautiful fire, well done!

Take good care of your thumbs; it’s frustrating when they get old!!  :(

31 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Yeeha!, made it through 5 stages today shooting cap guns; it was a BLAST. I blame Dang Prairie Dawg and Coffinmaker for gettin' me hooked, it's like I'm strung out on drugs or something :lol:

I know exactly what you mean. Already figured out I need to buy a 6 cavity round ball mould.

30 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

I know exactly what you mean. Already figured out I need to buy a 6 cavity round ball mould.

And Durofelt, and hollow punches, and Beeswax, and Lard...

Woohoo!!! Nice shootin! And the smoke and fire was fantastic! 

I hope to meet those two in person and make much smoke at some point.

If I were to point at the ones that got me pointed down this road it'd be Joe West and Branchwater Jack. Joe was just too cool shooting those ROA's at my first TN State. And Branchwater for just being an all around good dude.

I insanely shot that heathen smokelieless stuff for most of 2018 and early 2019; it just ain't as much fun. Now I've added some cool cap & ball guns it's really a blast!  May have to sell some suppository guns and locate a 44-40 Henry :D

Yeeha!

And then there are Paterson revolvers, which are, shall we say, "persnickety"!

And before you say anything, no I wasn't shooting "Frontiersman", just testing the new Patersons.  No BP in other guns also... 

15 hours ago, Griff said:

And then there are Paterson revolvers, which are, shall we say, "persnickety"!

The man definitely has tenacity. :)

1 hour ago, Yusta B. said:

The man definitely has tenacity. :)

To show how much... see 

Great video Tyrel!  There were a few shooting BP in my posse at the state match.  I also watched a bit of the Frontiersman side match.  I do love the thump, fire and smoke of the BP.  Planning to transition that way myself.  Not sure I can resist it...

Resistance is futile. The draw of The Dark Side, is far too strong. Once it has it's clutches in you, your path is set for the rest of your existence. 

But those are all good things!!! 

Archived