SASS Wire Forum

Gunman kills four in Australia

Major Crimes

Pumps are prohibited there right?

57 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Yes, it was an illegal firearm (you can have them with a special permit), as a person on parole any firearm would have been illegal for him to have in possesion.

It would appear he is "Known" to police (funny that he was in prison until Jan) he was looking for someone and fired indiscriminately thru doors and it would appear at people in several locations. The infrence in the press is that it is drug/criminal related but the people he shot are not involved with him and he was indisriminant in his targeting. There are a couple of people talking on TV saying that he looked them in the eye and just walked away but then shot the next person he ran into?

Looking thru past shootings post Port Arthur they are either under 4 (aparently thats the number for a mass shooting?) or are murder suicides (targetd and single family not indiscriminate or terror related).

You could argue that this is Australia's first Mass Shooting since Port Arthur in 96:(

1 hour ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Just to clarify how it works in Aust with firearms.

Just about any firearm (type, not model or brand) you can buy in the USA we can buy here. If you look at the second hand firearms websites you will see AR15's, 308 semi auto's, Pump and semi auto 12G, etc all for sale. ( https://www.usedguns.com.au/Guns/used_pump_semi_auto_guns ). Non of these guns are "Prohibited" or "Banned".

The issue becomes the permit to posses that firearm. To buy and posses a 12G pump action you need a Cat D (maybe a C can posses as well?) licence. To get that licence you have to apply to the Police with a "Genuine" reason to need that catagory of weapon (professional hunter, you are a trap shooter and for medical reasons cant use a O/U so they will let you use a semi auto, etc).

Once you have that Licence and you purchase that firearm you can bet you will be higher on the list for the police to check your storage is up to code (probably every year). You would also be monitored to see if your circumstances change (you were a pro hunter out west now you are a bus driver in Sydney you will lose the Cat D and have to sell, hand in your Cat D firearms).

To give you an example- I have only a stock standard A,B and H Licence (rifles, shotguns and pistols), I only own guns designed prior to 1900 (I have no semi auto's or pumps) and I have no pistols over .38/9mm in cal (that requires a HICAL Permit which I can have as I shoot Cowboy and that is a legitimate reason for a HICAL Permit- BP guns dont count for HICAL). A freind of mine had (he recently gave up) .45 semi autos (for Wild Bunch) and a number of other HICAL and semi auto and pump guns. I in 6 years have never had the Police check my storage, my friends has been checked every year.

There are differences between States but in the main the rule of thumb is if you can show a reason to have it (self defence is not a reason that is accepted in Australia) then you can have it. If you have it, expect to be checked and rechecked until you no longer need it.

10 minutes ago, Major Crimes said:

Just to clarify how it works in Aust with firearms.

Just about any firearm (type, not model or brand) you can buy in the USA we can buy here. If you look at the second hand firearms websites you will see AR15's, 308 semi auto's, Pump and semi auto 12G, etc all for sale. ( https://www.usedguns.com.au/Guns/used_pump_semi_auto_guns ). Non of these guns are "Prohibited" or "Banned".

The issue becomes the permit to posses that firearm. To buy and posses a 12G pump action you need a Cat D (maybe a C can posses as well?) licence. To get that licence you have to apply to the Police with a "Genuine" reason to need that catagory of weapon (professional hunter, you are a trap shooter and for medical reasons cant use a O/U so they will let you use a semi auto, etc).

Once you have that Licence and you purchase that firearm you can bet you will be higher on the list for the police to check your storage is up to code (probably every year). You would also be monitored to see if your circumstances change (you were a pro hunter out west now you are a bus driver in Sydney you will lose the Cat D and have to sell, hand in your Cat D firearms).

To give you an example- I have only a stock standard A,B and H Licence (rifles, shotguns and pistols), I only own guns designed prior to 1900 (I have no semi auto's or pumps) and I have no pistols over .38/9mm in cal (that requires a HICAL Permit which I can have as I shoot Cowboy and that is a legitimate reason for a HICAL Permit- BP guns dont count for HICAL). A freind of mine had (he recently gave up) .45 semi autos (for Wild Bunch) and a number of other HICAL and semi auto and pump guns. I in 6 years have never had the Police check my storage, my friends has been checked every year.

There are differences between States but in the main the rule of thumb is if you can show a reason to have it (self defence is not a reason that is accepted in Australia) then you can have it. If you have it, expect to be checked and rechecked until you no longer need it.

Thank you for clarification.........I sure am glad I live in the US. 

This is a link to a previous disc about Aust laws and view points.

Just like in the USA we have differing points of view pending where our experience lies.

There are posts from me and Mohawk on the topic.

So do you anticipate further restrictions after this incident?

One interesting thing re Aus guns (per my understanding) is that lever-action shotguns were left out of the more restrictive regulations, with the result that the Chinese began to sell most of their 1887 clones in Oz, and that Adler and others have sold lots of lever action shotguns also there.

Don't know if my info is current.

3 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

So do you anticipate further restrictions after this incident?

No, all the current rules covered this case.

My fear is a licenced and clean skin shooter with a legal firearm (a lever action 45 colt?).

2 hours ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

One interesting thing re Aus guns (per my understanding) is that lever-action shotguns were left out of the more restrictive regulations, with the result that the Chinese began to sell most of their 1887 clones in Oz, and that Adler and others have sold lots of lever action shotguns also there.

Don't know if my info is current.

You are spot on.

I cant work out why pump shotguns were restricted and lever actions weren't?

Mind you I also dont want to make any noise as they may look into lever action rifles to<_<

Archived