SASS Wire Forum

whats the call?

Tony Garibaldi

- Reshoots are not awarded for ammunition or firearm malfunctions.  However, if there is a range failure (failure of props, failure of the timer, or Range Officer interference) beyond the competitor’s control, a reshoot may be granted.   

SHB p.21

At the Western Divisional last year I had a 10 second stage and I thought Man I finally did it!!! And then the TO informed me that the timer malfunctioned and I’d need to reshoot the stage. Alas that Lightning fast time turned into 29 seconds.

one year at winter range, Sage Chick shot a 14 second stage, they said that couldn't be right, made her reshoot, it wasn't right,,, she reshot it FASTER!!

Here's a hint to make sure it's not happening to your shooters. 

The RO must watch the timer display as the last shot is fired.  If you did not see the time advance upon that shot being fired, you can be CERTAIN the timer did not pick up at last shot.   As stated above, require a reshoot in that case (whether shooter wants one or not).

Other hints - don't write stages with rifle last.

If you feel you really want to do a rifle last, then EVERY RO must get the timer in a position to always catch the last shot.  Building type props with rifle through a window, or a buckaroo shooting a .22, or mouse-fart loads in 32s and 38s, all are conditions where you have to be really aware of catching last shot.

Good luck, GJ

2 hours ago, Cheyenne Culpepper 32827 said:

one year at winter range, Sage Chick shot a 14 second stage, they said that couldn't be right, made her reshoot, it wasn't right,,, she reshot it FASTER!!

Maybe I really did shoot a 10 second stage.

Ha, ha - this one's about ME! The time recorded was 23.25, I think, which is about impossible for me - I hit the high 20's once in awhile, but 23 seconds is not likely.

I had a re-shoot earlier in the match due another incident, and I had only brought 1 box of a hundred .38-40's, and another partial box of 33. 133 rounds for a 120 round match... should work, right? Not if you have to do two re-shoots. I seriously doubt I shot 23.25, but it's certainly possible it was 33.25 and the scorekeeper heard 23.25 instead. 33.25 would be about right for me.

Thanks for that Billy...…..I always heard that could happen but DANG I never thought it could be that bad. Good to know. 

PS Also IMO if you finish with rifle it is a game of chance and something is likely to happen if you have enough shooter's. Depending on the TO, rifle, ammo, caliber and the immediate environment it's a crap shoot. If you really understand this you might be ok...….but if you have 200 shooters and 20+ TO's in a match...….someone will probably fumble the ball.

Then if the reshoot goes differently......much worse...….or much better...….you get in a situation that simply not worth the risk. 

34 minutes ago, Cowboy Junky said:

Thanks for that Billy...…..I always heard that could happen but DANG I never thought it could be that bad. Good to know. 

Found that out with the timers used at the NC State Match one year... BEFORE the match.

Billy pointed out a great point. One of the reason's that I am a proponent of timers staying at the stage during a "big match" is slight variance in the timers.

Even if not as big of a difference as his case, but...

If one timer is .1 seconds fast over, say 10 seconds

and another is .1 seconds slow over the same 10 seconds

If timers go with the posse, you could start to open up a 1/2 second gap over 20 seconds just in timer variance.

If the timer stays on the stage, each shooter gets the pain of a "fast" timer.

And, everyone gets the benefit of a "slow" timer.

36 minutes ago, Branchwater Jack SASS #88854 said:

Billy pointed out a great point. One of the reason's that I am a proponent of timers staying at the stage during a "big match" is slight variance in the timers.

Even if not as big of a difference as his case, but...

If one timer is .1 seconds fast over, say 10 seconds

and another is .1 seconds slow over the same 10 seconds

If timers go with the posse, you could start to open up a 1/2 second gap over 20 seconds just in timer variance.

If the timer stays on the stage, each shooter gets the pain of a "fast" timer.

And, everyone gets the benefit of a "slow" timer.

Not often a point of conversation, but when the topic arises, I have tried to emphasis what Branchwater Jack has

stated.....  Shot Timers should stay on the stage and not move with he Posse.

Timer Test:  Start ALL the timers.  The start time DOES NOT have to be simultaneous, but atleast try to start

them all within a few seconds of one another.    Then fire 5 rounds from a pistol.

Go thru ALL the timers and record those shot SPLIT sequence times and you may discover that there

could be discrepancies in those Split times.   AND... you may have a couple that record a slightly faster or slower

last shot sequence than the others.

Just a thought.

..........Widder

14 hours ago, Yul Lose said:

Maybe I really did shoot a 10 second stage.

We have all shot 10 second stages many times..... In our minds eye.

27 minutes ago, Ace_of_Hearts said:

I shoot a 10 second stage all the time 10 pistol x2, 10 rifle and 10 shotgun

46 minutes ago, David Richert said:

I shoot a 10 second stage all the time 10 pistol x2, 10 rifle and 10 shotgun

I thought that was how we were supposed to do it!

At my home venue, there is often gun order is shooters' choice and no stipulation that rifle may not be last. :o:( One time, when I was running the timer, I looked at the first rifle shot (last gun) and didn't see the timer advance. So, I moved the timer around, hoping to capture a report with no luck.  I told the shooter he needed to reshoot. He argued. Finally, he did so and I got someone with longer arms to time him. Morals of this story, do not, ever let the rifle be last, always look at the timer when the last gun is fired.

At an annual, I told one of the range officers, who was on my posse, that the TO never looked at the timer until after the last shot was fired. He told me that the TO was supposed to be assisting the shooter (not looking at the timer). :rolleyes::(

21 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Happened to me at EOT last year.

Stuff happens...

Reshoot.

Next question;)

Was this amid much controversy??

4 hours ago, Ace_of_Hearts said:

Heck, I've shot plenty of 10 second stages ......in misses and penalties :lol:

50 minutes ago, COLORADO JACKSON said:

Was this amid much controversy??

Actually no controversy at all. What makes you think that? The RO's tried to figure out if there was some solution other than a complete reshoot. There wasn't, I shot it. Zero arguments... What are you saying Cojack?

23 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Actually no controversy at all. What makes you think that? The RO's tried to figure out if there was some solution other than a complete reshoot. There wasn't, I shot it. Zero arguments... What are you saying Cojack?

Just wondering if it follows you like the plague, like it does me!

16 minutes ago, COLORADO JACKSON said:

Just wondering if it follows you like the plague, like it does me!

Oh... No... Obviously like all reshoots at EOT, RO approval must be received.

But there was zero controversy. 

I got a reshoot at my last shoot ,,, the battery quit just before I fired my last two shotshells ...... Well serves them right I shot it faster the second time ....

And I got to Smoke-up the Church Twice .... on da Sunday ....

On our range with no one else shooting the timer will pick-up the shots from my rifle from the firing line 85 yards to the side 0f where I'm shooting 4 stages over ....  And my revolvers from over 135 yards away .... So there is really NO need to get the Timer up in my face and into my field of vision ...

Jabez Cowboy

Archived