SASS Wire Forum

How much would you spend?

Alpo

If you saw something and thought, "Damn I need to have that", how much would you pull out of your wallet and lay down without discussing it with your significant other?

Cosby show episode, and Claire buys this painting. When he finds out how much it cost, Alvin, in shock, asks, "Mr. Huxtable let you spend that much?"

They had much fun with that. "Let me???" Because Alvin was a complete male chauvinist, and the idea of a woman spending that much money without asking permission was astounding to him.

But it was $11,000. In 1986. That's over $25,000 in 2018 money.

I know if my wife suddenly announced that she had spent 25 Grand on something - and it don't really matter what it was she spent it on - without discussing it with me first. Without seeing if we could afford to spend $25,000 on something. It would not be pretty.

Hundred bucks? Okay. Couple of hundred? Let's discuss this. More???

7 minutes ago, Tell Sackett SASS 18436 said:

However much I wanted to, of MY money(we keep our $ separate).

Having said that, I would never spend a huge amount of my money without her input. She's almost as smart as me! :lol:

She okayed the gun cart?:P

I bought 20 acres once. 25,000.00. Most of an inheritance. Was quiet in my house for a while. I'd do it again in a heartbeat. Would I do it out of common funds? uh...…………..no. I'd be afraid to go to sleep.

Shortcake likes guns, and understands they need ammo. She said if I bought a gun in a caliber we did not have, she expected a case of ammo would be necessary.

It's more like a courtesy than a rule. If one of us has an eye on something, we will talk about it.

I had the green light on a Colt Python I was watching on-line. She said "if you like it, get it."

I passed. The money for that Python could buy up a lot of reloading components. And a cowboy gun or two. I've been buying long enough to know that if you pass on a deal, another one will swing by sooner or later. Got more time than money. I can wait.

2 hours ago, Tell Sackett SASS 18436 said:

However much I wanted to, of MY money(we keep our $ separate).

Having said that, I would never spend a huge amount of my money without her input. She's almost as smart as me! :lol:

Must not be.  Look at who she married and who you married.  :P  :lol:

It's subjective.  For me $25,000 is a lot of money, for someone with a Bill Gates level of income, $25,000 is pocket change.  I did a quick search about the Cosby show and he was an obstetrician and she was an attorney, their joint income was probably in excess of $300,000 a year.

Around $200. My wife and I have always shared everything. I have always made a lot more money than her, but it is "our" money.

I did buy a 1986 Harley Davidson 883 when they came out in 86 without telling her. It was awful cold for 3 weeks at my house...that summer....

As much as I damn well please!!!!!!  ---So long as she is okay with it.  I'm thinking my late wife or I could freely spend about $200, if it was in the bank and all the bills were paid.  Anything beyond that, we'd normally talk about it.  Don't wanna be this guy--

rL3kdnrjzHbBudFZao2QTFn1V4C8HHyqZcPM4wjVU_M.jpg

As I recall. the Huxtables were pretty danged well off. He was a doctor and she a lawyer.

5 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

As I recall. the Huxtables were pretty danged well off. He was a doctor and she a lawyer.

He really had a way with women too!

Knowing my misfit com padres as I do, there is a high degree of financial infidelity within most marriages.    As my best friend states, "When I die I can only hope my wife sells my ___________ at actual value and not at the cost that I told her I paid."  Kinda sums it up.......

The deal that Lazarus and I had was "When you get a new gun, I get a new gun."  Worked great which is why we had so many guns.  Besides Laz always said guns were a better value than stocks and so much easier to sell for cash in an emergency which definitely proved true when he suddenly passed away.

4 hours ago, Lorelei Longshot, SASS #44256 Life said:

The deal that Lazarus and I had was "When you get a new gun, I get a new gun."  Worked great which is why we had so many guns.  Besides Laz always said guns were a better value than stocks and so much easier to sell for cash in an emergency which definitely proved true when he suddenly passed away.

Also a lot easier to defend yourself with a gun than a stock certificate.

Guest Texas jack Black SASS#9362

My wife and I work as a team I make the money and she spends it. She says that is teamwork. :D

14 hours ago, Texas jack Black SASS#9362 said:

My wife and I work as a team I make the money and she spends it. She says that is teamwork. :D

Ditto...

My wife married me for my money, and I married her for her brains.

So we're even now.

On 6/4/2019 at 6:41 AM, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I did buy a 1986 Harley Davidson 883 when they came out in 86 without telling her. It was awful cold for 3 weeks at my house...that summer....

I bought my 2008 Sportster Roadster the same way...
The scooter was an absolutely smokin' deal, and I jumped all over it.
2008 was the only year they made it with the 4.5 gallon tank, plus it was loaded with Ohlins, Stage 1, Sundowner seat, etc, etc, and super low miles.

I do understand temperature drops.

Archived