SASS Wire Forum

Interesting Article comparing SASS to Martial Arts

Captain Bill Burt

Having just over 30 years of martial arts under my "belt" I would say that there are certainly some similarities. The mental focus, utilizing various hand eye coordination skills, etc all come into play. The biggest difference I would say is that the martial artists tend to be, how do i put this delicately? of the more athletic body type.

4 minutes ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

I hope it's right!

ME TOO!

I should have added {sarcasm} tags around that comment; seems like all you here any more is that the sky is falling.

1 hour ago, Tyrel Cody said:

image.png.410d49eb2eb2492cb12caeafcf4bee4e.png

That can't be right, can it?

In forums on "social media" pages, I see a lot of new people signing up and proudly displaying photos of their new SASS certificates with their new aliases.  Most of them are in the 40-year-old range, a few younger.  I don't know how many are dropping out or passing on, but it looks like a healthy influx of new shooters. 

35 minutes ago, McCandless said:

In forums on "social media" pages, I see a lot of new people signing up and proudly displaying photos of their new SASS certificates with their new aliases.  Most of them are in the 40-year-old range, a few younger.  I don't know how many are dropping out or passing on, but it looks like a healthy influx of new shooters. 

I know, that was more sarcasm than anything. I to see some new guys in the 35-50 year range; hope they stay around.

1 hour ago, El Hombre Sin Nombre said:

Having just over 30 years of martial arts under my "belt" I would say that there are certainly some similarities. The mental focus, utilizing various hand eye coordination skills, etc all come into play. The biggest difference I would say is that the martial artists tend to be, how do i put this delicately? of the more athletic body type.

Whadara sayin, Willis?

1 hour ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

NCOWS?!

Well that ain't SASS:lol:

Don't think they're growing are they???

I wish they were. I can't find one around me. I'd love to try it out using all my antique guns.

Just now, El Hombre Sin Nombre said:

I wish they were. I can't find one around me. I'd love to try it out using all my antique guns.

Just do it at one of your monthlies. The club up in Bowling Green does both and there's usually 2-3 working cowboys; Rifle, Shotgun, 1 revolver. 

I think SASS would be wise to create a few Working Cowboy classes for monthlies only and put them in the handbook. For example:

Rifleman - Rifle and Shotgun

Pistolero - Revolvers and Shotgun

Working Cowboy - Rifle, Shotgun, 1 Revolver.

These classes wouldn't be at state and above matches and wouldn't be considered for overall, but it might get more folks to the monthlies.

2 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Just do it at one of your monthlies. The club up in Bowling Green does both and there's usually 2-3 working cowboys; Rifle, Shotgun, 1 revolver. 

I think SASS would be wise to create a few Working Cowboy classes for monthlies only and put them in the handbook. For example:

Rifleman - Rifle and Shotgun

Pistolero - Revolvers and Shotgun

Working Cowboy - Rifle, Shotgun, 1 Revolver.

These classes wouldn't be at state and above matches and wouldn't be considered for overall, but it might get more folks to the monthlies.

I like that idea a lot. I do enjoy playing Josey Wales a lot too so that I can choose between 4 pistols. Makes shooting that much more fun when I don't have to agonize over what pistols to shoot that match. It's always a tough decision to make and gets harder with every new colt I bring in.

1 minute ago, El Hombre Sin Nombre said:

I like that idea a lot. I do enjoy playing Josey Wales a lot too so that I can choose between 4 pistols. Makes shooting that much more fun when I don't have to agonize over what pistols to shoot that match. It's always a tough decision to make and gets harder with every new colt I bring in.

If you keep bragging about them Colts, I'm going to block you out of jealousy :P

2 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

If you keep bragging about them Colts, I'm going to block you out of jealousy :P

I really don't have that many. A friend of mine has 80. He's been collecting them since before sass started and was one of the very early members. All those colts and he still refuses to sell me any. Or adopt me for that matter.

8 minutes ago, El Hombre Sin Nombre said:

I really don't have that many. A friend of mine has 80. He's been collecting them since before sass started and was one of the very early members. All those colts and he still refuses to sell me any. Or adopt me for that matter.

80 :o

Wait...

you have friends? :P :lol::lol::lol:

"....The biggest difference I would say is that the martial artists tend to be, how do i put this delicately? of the more athletic body type...."

you tryin to imply that we are out of shape ? ill have you know that i am my exact BWI , i am near 70 and i cannot see anymore , i do have back issues , there is some hearing loss and some motor skills are lacking , i do have a shaking issue that comes and goes and my memory is not what it used to be short or long term , but i still get up expecting to shave my 16 year old face - just sayin , 

6 hours ago, Tyrel Cody said:

image.png.410d49eb2eb2492cb12caeafcf4bee4e.png

That can't be right, can it?

Doesn't matter if is is correct or not. When you are promoting anything you want people to think they are missing out on the latest trend. So that's what you tell your audience. This is one of the basic foundational principals of successful advertising.

One of the biggest problems with SASS, Wild Bunch, and NCOWS is all three organizations do an exceptionally poor job of promoting themselves.  Sure we have promotion at the local club level but that reaches a very small audience and is 99.8% word of mouth.

Wonder how many people would come and check out a CAS or WB match if they saw even a 15 second advertisement in the video game Red Dead Redemption.

The old saying; "You have to spend money to make money" has a lot more truth in it that most people want to admit.

I spent 9 years living in the same town as a SASS club and never heard it mentioned even once. The closest I came was seeing some folks stage an old wast bank robbery as part of the local festivities of an historic gold mining town.

I only discovered CAS because I saw it showcased on TV by Wolf Bane. Had it not been for that chance encounter I would most likely still be unaware that SASS, NCOWS, and WB even existed.

Y'all do know that mastery of small arms is considered a "Martial" art, any kind of practice in weapon craft is a Martial art.

On 6/3/2019 at 3:04 PM, Captain Bill Burt said:

This is a very positive article about our game stating that it 'promotes American greatness."

https://amgreatness.com/2019/06/02/way-of-the-sixgun-an-american-martial-art/

That was a great article. Very well written.

Thanks for sharing!

I coached the sport of wrestling for many years.  Each move was broken down in many steps.  The steps were combined with practice until the wrestler had one smooth continuous movement.  Combine a few smooth good moves and you start becoming a wrestler.  I was coached as a CAS the same way.  

Archived