SASS Wire Forum

WTC- stuck casing

Chicken George*

The stage has rifle first. A young shooter shoots all 10 rounds on their 22 rifle, opens the action and lays it down but the last empty casing did not eject. The TO tells them to clear the gun. They work the lever a few times without success and then tries to remove it by hand but still can't get it out. The shooter yells broken gun and finishes the stage. No call was given but a couple other shooters questioned it. They didn't think you could get out of a minor safety by calling a gun broken. 

Malfunctioning firearms still containing rounds will not warrant penalties so long as the malfunction is declared and the firearm is made safe. 

SHB p.28

20 minutes ago, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

SHB p.28

That rifle continued to have the very same issue of the last round not ejecting. The shooter was able to figure out how to remove the casing by hand and did so on the rest of the stages. But some also questioned whether the shooter could just call the gun broken on each stage and not even bother trying to remove it. 

If the shooter were to, in fact, remove the empty at the end of the shooting string every time, then I would allow them to continue.

How did the gun extract the previous 9 rounds and not the 10th? Hmmm

22 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Why do people not understand the basics of our game???

They aren't actually reading the handbook(s)?

1 minute ago, Tyrel Cody said:

They aren't actually reading the handbook(s)?

But...what, they portray themselves as having done so.

And yes, I've made mistakes, but some of these issues that come up seen pretty dang simple...ya know?

A young shooter. Good grief, I'd be happy he/she showed up. Sure wouldn't penalize them. Perhaps, they should have declared the rifle in question had some problems ejecting the last round and handed it off (open action) to someone after the shooting string. 

6 minutes ago, The Rainmaker, SASS #11631 said:

What was decided was that the extractor spring was weak which pushes it against the part of the carrier that ejects it. But the rounds underneath also push up and and keep it straight so it hits the ejector. 

20 minutes ago, Assassin said:

A young shooter. Good grief, I'd be happy he/she showed up. Sure wouldn't penalize them. Perhaps, they should have declared the rifle in question had some problems ejecting the last round and handed it off (open action) to someone after the shooting string. 

"Handing off" a malfunctioning firearm mid-stage should only be done if there is no place to safely ground it after the malfunction is declared.

REF: RO2 p.8

If they are a junior shooter and able to manually extract expended .22 brass from the chamber, they're a keeper! Praise the sticktoitiveness and pat em on the back and by all means, GET THEIR RIFLE FIXED!

I think their questioning had to do more with when it is appropriate to declare a gun malfunction. Obviously, it is necessary if live rounds are in it. The "Malfunctioning firearms still containing rounds will not warrant penalties" says rounds and so maybe they thought this was different or you shouldn't call a malfunction for empty casing. I don't know.

I thought what the shooter did was fine but it got me wondering. It would have been sad if they weren't allowed to continue shooting other stages because of that small gun problem that isn't really a safety issue. 

I agree about the expended case/shell deal, but that's another issue. Happy all was figured out.

Ya gotta try to make it work and if you, the shooter, can't get it to go, call the malfunction, set it down and move on.

That's where a T.O. makes their money (yeah, I wish), guiding the shooter SAFELY through the course of fire.

6 hours ago, Chicken George* said:

I think their questioning had to do more with when it is appropriate to declare a gun malfunction. Obviously, it is necessary if live rounds are in it. The "Malfunctioning firearms still containing rounds will not warrant penalties" says rounds and so maybe they thought this was different or you shouldn't call a malfunction for empty casing. I don't know.

Minor Safety Violation (MSV) infractions include:

- Leaving empty or live round(s) in a magazine, action, or carrier of the long gun in which it was loaded. 

SHB p.22

There are a lot of shooters that don’t know or care about that rules.

One shooter that had been shooting for several years asked me what was the penalty for a MSV  :blink:

7 hours ago, The Rainmaker, SASS #11631 said:

If that's a Henry, get that thing to Widder, he'll make it sing!

Actually,  this particular rifle IS one I had worked on, of which I can explain WHY a last empty shell

casing fails to eject.

In the Henry .22, the empty brass has 'some' support from the spring strength on the Extractor AND from

the the live round sitting inside the carrier.

When the Extractor spring is either too weak or breaks, the last piece of empty brass will just hang in the

action and not eject.

My guess is that the spring tension has set too light and will need to be replaced.

When I modify the Henry, I actually change out the factory super strong spring for a lighter spring.

This particular instance is only the 2nd time one of these springs seem to lose its 'mo-jo'.

The one in my rifle is running 5000 rounds strong.

My guess the rifle owned by Chicken George hasn't even got 600 rounds and the spring has given up the

ghost.

The spring situation is being resolved and I think Chicken George has checked the Extractor hasn't broken.

Hey Rainmaker:  I think this rifle was singing until the Extractor spring decided to sing off key... ;)

..........Widder

9 hours ago, The Rainmaker, SASS #11631 said:

If the shooter were to, in fact, remove the empty at the end of the shooting string every time, then I would allow them to continue.

We have a Henry that gets that way once in a while. No idea why. Just the last round. Great rifle though.

Rainmaker:  You dun gud.   And kind words are always welcome..... Thanks.   But sometimes, even the

best efforts can fall short because we rely on 'perceived' spring strength and sometimes it can come up

short.    Hopefully, my info might help others with similar issues, whether I have worked on their rifles

or not.

Mi. Slim:  I have discovered basically 2 reasons why the .22 Henry fails to kick out the last round:

The 1st and more notably cause is the Extractor, usually the spring strength.

The 2nd is the height of the left side wall of the carrier.   If the top of the wall is just a few

.000's too high, the rim of an extracted cartridge will drag on it, which will cause the rim

to push off the bolt face and tilt enough to lose tension under the Extractor.  

Therefore, no kick out on the last round.

The reason it occurs on the last round is because there isn't a round in the carrier to help

give any support during extraction of the empty.

..........Widder

I didn't give details because no one needed to know that a Widder rifle had an EXTREMELY RARE issue and it was a very small issue. After talking to him (he knew exactly what the cause was), I cut a tiny piece of cardboard from a shotshell box and put it behind the spring and it ejects the last one fine now. That's barely anything and I don't fault him for that. Widder definitely stands behind his work and is sending me new springs. This rifle definitely sings!!

CG,

As mentioned on the phone, your new springs are already packaged up and will be in the mail tomorrow.

Actually, I didn't mind anyone knowing about your rifle being a Widder Soft Stroke.   Lots of times,

gun mods and gun modifiers will get good comments on the Wire but if something goes wrong,

many are reluctant to mention names.   I can understand that.

But if something I worked on has an issue to arise, I don't mind talking about it on the Wire because stuff

like this can help a lot of folks who might be having similar issues and hopefully, Wire conversations can

help remedy their problem.

Always good talking with you on the phone. 

..........Widder

11 hours ago, The Rainmaker, SASS #11631 said:

With a continued "broken gun" problem, the gun needs to be pulled from service until it can be remedied.

I agree, in spirit, but I'm unaware of anything in the Rules that specifies a limit to the number of times a gun can be declared broken within a single match, as long as it continues to malfunction.   To my read, as long as it is declared to the T. O. , the shooter is not penalized.  Further, I don't see where repetitively declaring this gun broken afforded any time or logistical advantage, (in the vein of SOG), and I don't see any safety issues, as long as it was declared and safely discarded, under T. O. supervision.   So is this scenario really at issue? 

Oh, I agree that if the shooter follows safety first and continues to deal with an issue and it is not an advantage for them, then by all means.

But a lot of malfunctions we deal with either get worse with use or do pose a safety issue and should be dealt with sooner rather than later. I am not immune as I've had some problems as well. Dealing with three shooters guns can be a challenge and problems do come up.

Widder, you have given so much to CAS that no one could ever fault you for an odd issue that cropped up. I'm impressed that you know exactly what the cause is and how to remedy the situation AND take care of the shooter by getting them the fix ASAP. You're truly a pard to ride the range with.

In case anyone was wondering, I don't even personally know Widder. I know him by reputation and by his fine work and if you've spent any time on the Wire, you will know he's a stand-up guy.

Why do people not understand the basics of our game???

Phantom - because it is so much easier instead of doing the reading to just make a post on the Wire and wait for PaleWolf to reply .... :P

On 6/3/2019 at 11:27 AM, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

But...what, they portray themselves as having done so.

And yes, I've made mistakes, but some of these issues that come up seen pretty dang simple...ya know?

YOU!!….Make mistakes!....certainly not!!

Archived