SASS Wire Forum

Warming up?

Shooting Bull

This game is actually a sport.  As with any other sport the participants benefit from warming up prior to going on the clock.  Since my much better half won't let me quit my current full time job and shoot full time I can't make it to warm up matches that are held the day before big matches start.  That leaves me starting "cold". I find that even at monthly matches I tend to fumble through the first couple of stages until I get warmed up.  I don't lose any sleep when it happens at a local monthly but when I go to Winter Range or any other big match I don't want to fumble on ANY stages.  If you're in the same boat as I am, what do you do physically and mentally to warm up and get ready for a match?

warm up stages the day before you shoot do nothing. Yer still "cold" the next day. 

If they have an area to warm up (like at WR), do a little lite shooting.

Otherwise, practice shooting smooth and clean on your first stage at monthlies.

Phantom

1 minute ago, Smokestack SASS#87384 said:

The very first thing you have to do is stop telling yourself that your first few stages will be rough. It’s a self fulfilling prophecy. 

Very true...but the nerves are a bit on edge. 

Focus on two things: Smooth and Front Sight.

1 hour ago, Shooting Bull said:

This game is actually a sport.  As with any other sport the participants benefit from warming up prior to going on the clock.  Since my much better half won't let me quit my current full time job and shoot full time I can't make it to warm up matches that are held the day before big matches start.  That leaves me starting "cold". I find that even at monthly matches I tend to fumble through the first couple of stages until I get warmed up.  I don't lose any sleep when it happens at a local monthly but when I go to Winter Range or any other big match I don't want to fumble on ANY stages.  If you're in the same boat as I am, what do you do physically and mentally to warm up and get ready for a match?

Considering they only shoot 4 stages a day at WR & EOT it would be tough to get warmed up.  It's in your head, I feel the same way. I'd prefer to shoot all 12 stages in a day and go home. 

Use Conventioneer's stage at EOT to warm up before your wave starts.  If you have the early wave and no one else is at that Bay, find another RO trained shooter and have them "second" you while you warm up.

Good luck, GJ.

So, I was awakened at the hotel with the sound of clickytee, clackatee, clickytee, clack, click, clack, etc.  Went on for almost half an hour.

Hell's Comin' emerged from the room next door.  His comment, "If the first time you handle your guns is on the first stage of the day, you've already lost the match."

One of the more valuable pieces of "advice" that's been gifted.

2 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

warm up stages the day before you shoot do nothing. Yer still "cold" the next day. 

If they have an area to warm up (like at WR), do a little lite shooting.

Otherwise, practice shooting smooth and clean on your first stage at monthlies.

Phantom

2 hours ago, Smokestack SASS#87384 said:

The very first thing you have to do is stop telling yourself that your first few stages will be rough. It’s a self fulfilling prophecy. 

^^^^^

My feelings exactly.

..........Widder

1 hour ago, August West, SASS #45079 said:

So, I was awakened at the hotel with the sound of clickytee, clackatee, clickytee, clack, click, clack, etc.  Went on for almost half an hour.

Hell's Comin' emerged from the room next door.  His comment, "If the first time you handle your guns is on the first stage of the day, you've already lost the match."

One of the more valuable pieces of "advice" that's been gifted.

What was the call on that stage? :lol:

The first stage of the day, I will go over the sequence in my head over and over again.  It helps me most times.  Last weekend, I shot the first stage out of my usual order, i.e. second shooter as opposed to next to last, and I screwed up the order of fire for a P.

For the past couple of years at the Show-Me Shootout/Missouri State Championship match held in September by the Southern Missouri Rangers, we have dedicated one stage for pre-match warmup both days.    One hour before the Shooter's Meeting, there is a range officer at that stage with a timer.  Shooters can address the targets in any manner and with any firearm they wish.  That stage is also manned by a range officer as a repair and test stage while the main match is going on...in case a firearm misbehaves and needs some work done on it during the match, the repair can be done by the owner at that stage, and he can test fire it before returning to his posse.  

It has been my privilege to be the range officer at that stage.  I usually have a camera with me and if the shooter wants a video of himself so he can critique himself, I'm glad to email him a video when I get back to a computer.  It seems the better shooters are the ones who take advantage of the warm up opportunity.  It is fun to watch the champions feed off each other, comparing times, while practicing before the match!  We have received positive comments about making this opportunity available and plan to do it again this September.

Warming up a bit at the hotel or camp site is an excellent idea. But I’m also hearing your mind set plays a major role in your early match performance. (Yes, I already knew that.) I’ve already got my pre-stage routine down. What kind of mental prep do you do immediately before starting the whole match match?

6 hours ago, Hells Comin said:

13.23 and clean 

AW  said  it was about  a half  hour  

11 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

3 hours ago, Shooting Bull said:

What kind of mental prep do you do immediately before starting a match. 

These two points are interconnected for me.  When traveling for a shoot, I always plan on shooting the warm up stages.  While I'm still 'cold' the next day, it helps me get into the 'groove' of the event, though on my recent away match, that 'P' on the first stage was a slap of reality.  I'm not a fan of traveling, and having my first day on the range being main match day, makes me feel 'rushed', and that for me derails any mental prep.  If I have a local two/three day match, where I can travel to and from home, I just plan on having all my gear and supplies all laid out in advance.  Early to bed, early to rise.....little things like that also help with my mental prep.  Anything to keep my mind uncluttered, and focused on the match.

34 minutes ago, Cemetery said:

These two points are interconnected for me.  When traveling for a shoot, I always plan on shooting the warm up stages.  While I'm still 'cold' the next day, it helps me get into the 'groove' of the event, though on my recent away match, that 'P' on the first stage was a slap of reality.  I'm not a fan of traveling, and having my first day on the range being main match day, makes me feel 'rushed', and that for me derails any mental prep.  If I have a local two/three day match, where I can travel to and from home, I just plan on having all my gear and supplies all laid out in advance.  Early to bed, early to rise.....little things like that also help with my mental prep.  Anything to keep my mind uncluttered, and focused on the match.

Warm up stages to me are a great way to wear yerself out...then there's the Screw-up factor where you have a less than stellar day and your Main Match is @!)#! up!!!! This said, I'm always out (unless something real important is keeping me away), at the range the day before the Main Match...get's ya acclimated to the environment.

But the neat thing about this game (and pretty much all games/sports), do what works for you.

Phantom

Dry firing to get up speed, in the AM right before the match, and practicing (empty) gun transitions work OK for me.  Day-before warm ups usually only drain my self confidence.  I can't get psyched up for them, so I usually shoot poorly, shoot slowly, and make mistakes. 

I actually agree 100% with Phantom and Smokestack on this topic. 

For us we don’t do warm up or even side matches at title matches. Fatigue on ourselves and guns is why. We may shoot a speed event to test out guns and send a few downrange however we don’t shoot them for time. At a small annual then sometimes we will. Warming up does not have to be actually shooting for us. Sometimes we play catch with a football for just a little bit before we start shooting.  We just loosen up and get the blood flowing to the brain because that’s what is most important. We also do some holster transitions at the truck and pick up our long guns just to get the feel of them. This is what Matt Black does at every big match. It seems to work well for us. I know that if we don’t do these little rituals things don’t go as smooth. Figure out what works for you and do it at every match. So the short answer to your question is we think side matches and warm up match are horrible practice prior to shooting a big match. These are lessons we’ve learned the hard way.  

My first stages are usually my best. We have clubs around that do warm up stages but I don't shoot them because it might become a crutch. Plus, I don't want to waste one of my better stage times on a stage that doesn't count fer' nothin'...…….lol. 

16 hours ago, Hashknife Cowboy said:

I listen to some "Don Edwards" on the way there......

Best advice of the day!

SCJ

10 hours ago, Colt Faro, SASS #54579 said:

I actually agree 100% with Phantom and Smokestack on this topic. 

For us we don’t do warm up or even side matches at title matches. Fatigue on ourselves and guns is why. We may shoot a speed event to test out guns and send a few downrange however we don’t shoot them for time. At a small annual then sometimes we will. Warming up does not have to be actually shooting for us. Sometimes we play catch with a football for just a little bit before we start shooting.  We just loosen up and get the blood flowing to the brain because that’s what is most important. We also do some holster transitions at the truck and pick up our long guns just to get the feel of them. This is what Matt Black does at every big match. It seems to work well for us. I know that if we don’t do these little rituals things don’t go as smooth. Figure out what works for you and do it at every match. So the short answer to your question is we think side matches and warm up match are horrible practice prior to shooting a big match. These are lessons we’ve learned the hard way.  

AWESOME input!  Thank you VERY much. 

(Except for that first sentence.  You lose some credibility for that one. :lol:)

11 hours ago, Doc Shapiro said:

It’s all in your head. That said, some dry fire with all 4 guns in the morning will help. Also, walk about and just loosen up. 

I relate to the "all in your head" comment and need to do more walking about, loosening up, ---- but really need to get to more matches to get familiar with my "game" for this sport.

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Archived