SASS Wire Forum

Cowboy Church at the Tri-State

Well, this past weekend was the MA/CT/RI Tri-State Cowboy Shoot. On Sunday, I conducted a short "Cowboy Church" service. Had about half a dozen people in attendance, and we had a nice time. Prior to the service I turned my guncart into a makeshift pulpit, complete with a homemade cross. And yes, that is a Schofield sitting on the lid. I thought it would make for a nice pun. Nobody got it. Not even the fellow who goes to the same church I do until I explained it to him. Then he laughed. If I do this again next year, I'll have to remember to bring my Scofield with me to set it next to the Schofield. Maybe that'll make it more obvious.

CartPulpit.thumb.JPG.c96a49160f9368f32ce873f01d4e06fe.JPG

That the event is called "Hellfire are Barrister's Junction" is a remarkable coincidence, and no, it was not the subject of my short sermon.

Oh by the way, I shot it clean.  :)

Congratulations on the Clean Shoot.  I did hear some fine singing coming from the tent when I got there Sunday morning.

i missed the nuance but appreciated the effort in this reading , i like it when cowboy church actually ties things together , we gennerally have it at the meets i go to but i like your efforts , 

I personally think a Cowboy Church service should be available at Annual and bigger matches. We added this to our annual a handful of years ago and it is well attended. Approx 35 out of 115 shooters attend the service.

Good on you HK!!

Thanks for the kind comments.   For whatever reason, going to church just isn't part of the culture here in New England like it is in other parts of the country.  Historically ironic in a way, and the possible reasons why are a discussion for another forum.  This was the third year I've done it after the fellow who was doing it before me stopped.  The crowd may be small, but well, "Where two or three are gathered in my name, there will I be also."

I guess that's the most important thing to remember.

Archived