SASS Wire Forum

1873 Lighter Loading Gate Spring?

David Balthazar

Does the 1873 see a benefit from a lightened loading gate spring? 

I have done this successfully on another style of lever gun, just don't know if the 1873 needs that heavier tension to feed properly.

Thank you!

Not any light springs available commercially, but by hour-glassing the shaft of the spring carefully, you can lighten the tension and yet not have breakage. 

No you won't break the 73 action by lightening the gate spring some.  The loading gate does have one additional function besides letting you add rounds to the magazine - it is a stop for the cartridge that feeds out of the magazine.  Since the carrier has no back, rounds will slide backwards right through the carrier and into the links of the action if the loading gate breaks.   So, that is another reason not to get too aggressive with lightening (to point of weakening) the shaft of the loading gate.

Good luck, GJ

Somewhat related.

I have a '66 Cimarron and I had the loading gate (ladle) screw loosen somewhat, and the action was jammed. In the '66 the loading gate or ladle is flush with the side plate and the side plate is also the stop for the toggles. A '73 is different. Also in my '66, if the loading gate loses tension, it had difficulty in returning home when I load the 10th round. If the gate does not snap smartly into it's home, it may interfere with the toggles. I have a short stroke kit installed and I relieved the toggle slightly to allow the gate to accept a round without bottoming on the edge of the gate. The '73 uses a different ladle.

My '66 is a trapper, made to hold 9 rounds. I trimmed the spring and am able to load 10, if COL does not exceed 1.5. Hardly the guns fault, more an issue of buying the wrong tool for the job. I just love to shoot my '66, just so much fun and I really like the ladder sight. I cranked it up to 300 yards for S&G and was able to hit the big gong at 270 yards. 

There is a sage old cowboy saying that your hip-gun is used to get back to your rifle, which you should have had with you. After shooting the '66, I think a hip-gun is really the back-up for when your '66 goes south.

66 design has a much weaker loading gate design than the 73.  If you don't reinforce the tab on the Uberti 66 gate, you are almost guaranteed to have problems!  But, reinforcing the tab is pretty easy - even cavemen ....  :lol:

Good luck, GJ

Not  wanting to question Garrison Joe, but C&I offers a lightened loading gate for the "73"    Got mine from Terry at Online Outpost.   I owe her a plug for helping me in the past.      GW

Plus it was $10 cheaper than the stock spoon from VTI       GW

33 minutes ago, G W Wade said:

Not  wanting to question Garrison Joe, but C&I offers a lightened loading gate for the "73"  

Once again, learned something!  Thanks GWW

16 minutes ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

Once again, learned something!  Thanks GWW

Learned a lot reading your advice, always read YOUR info passed on the wire.      GW

I believe Shotgun Boogie has lightened loading gates listed also

Once you get the gate dialed in, it's a good idea to always check the screw tightness every time you have the cover off for cleaning. You do not want the screw to get loose while shooting due to the certain train wreck to follow. Blue locktite isn't a bad idea. This is one of the many lessons I learned the hard way.

One more thing: Not a bad idea to have a spare loading gate in your bag. One that you installed & checked already & then took it out to place in backup mode, ready to rock.

We have 3 of Shotgun Boogies loading gates and they work great. If you have to load on through the side on the clock you will appreciate how easy they work.

Archived