SASS Wire Forum

‘73 double feed/ fail to extract

Smokestack SASS#87384

I made this quick video in response to a friend asking how to clear a double feed or failure to extract in an 1873 or 1866 Winchester type rifle. Hope this is helpful to those who were unaware that it can be done without taking the gun apart. With a bit of practice this can usually be resolved in under 5 seconds.

A suggestion.

Check the extraction groove on your brass.

Starline has the widest and deepest groove that the receiver extractor can get hold of.

RP has the narrowest groove and the Extractor can and will ride up out of the groove.

Others fall in between.

If you have a rifle that fails to extract some rounds, check the head stamps.

2 hours ago, Smokestack SASS#87384 said:

To be clear, the video I posted was not part of anyone’s DVD. It’s my own work and my motivation for making it was to help a friend out, not to make money. 

Thought you got rich make'n BBQ's :lol:

Great video:excl:

OLG

I have this happen twice lately with a 73 that I shoot once in a while,,, couldn't figure out how it happened, never had it happen with my Marlins.. I thought the extractor was weak but couldn't make sense tho since the round in the chamber was unfired,,,   on my Marlins I file it so the extractor never comes off the case.. maybe look at that for the 73 also

2 minutes ago, Cheyenne Culpepper 32827 said:

I have this happen twice lately with a 73 that I shoot once in a while,,, couldn't figure out how it happened, never had it happen with my Marlins.. I thought the extractor was weak but couldn't make sense tho since the round in the chamber was unfired,,,   on my Marlins I file it so the extractor never comes off the case.. maybe look at that for the 73 also

If the round is unfired, it’s caused by operator error the lever was not closed completely and the round was chambered by the nose of the extractor but it never snapped over the rim. 

Just now, Smokestack SASS#87384 said:

If the round is unfired, it’s caused by operator error the lever was not closed completely and the round was chambered by the nose of the extractor but it never snapped over the rim. 

Uh yep!

2 minutes ago, Cliff Hanger #3720LR said:

On this one, I would check and clean the bolt and the bolt guides.

It sound like something is not letting the bolt slide all the way forward.

Maybe built up grease and dirt.

My guns were very clean... Has nothing to do with this.

Bullet got pushed into chamber but before the extractor was able to go over the rim, the operator started to open the action.

Surprise!!!! Now you got a jam!

Phantom

Archived