SASS Wire Forum

WWII Submarine Refloated

Subdeacon Joe

USS Batfish has re-floated once again nearly fifty years after it was dry docked on display in a park along the Arkansas River.

Perhaps it's no surprise that the USS Batfish seems eager to get back in the game. Built as part of America's World War II arsenal, the sub launched from Kittery, Maine on May 5, 1943 and steamed off to join the Pacific Fleet and run patrols in the Philippine and South China Seas. She and her crew sunk nine Japanese ships and three submarines over their 21-month tour (the latter trio going down in one wild 76-hour stretch in 1945) and received a Presidential Unit Citation and six battle stars for their efforts.

https%3A%2F%2Fs3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com%2Fthe-drive-cms-content-staging%2Fmessage-editor%252F1558576942956-gettyimages-486063887.jpg?auto=compress%2Cformat&ixlib=js-1.2.1&s=7fc627678282898a436a746338a4bd12

Heading is wrong, Joe. Batfish is WW II, and quite famous. She downed three Japanese subs in about a 76 hour stretch. One I class and two RO class boats at one point submerging just far enough to leave her radar antennas above the surface to give aiming info while not exposing herself to the enemy's inferior radar sets.:blush::FlagAm:

28 minutes ago, Four-Eyed Buck,SASS #14795 said:

Heading is wrong, Joe. Batfish is WW II, and quite famous. She downed three Japanese subs in about a 76 hour stretch. One I class and two RO class boats at one point submerging just far enough to leave her radar antennas above the surface to give aiming info while not exposing herself to the enemy's inferior radar sets.:blush::FlagAm:

I just noticed the typo.  I'll fix it 

Archived