SASS Wire Forum

Skytrain

Subdeacon Joe

https://worldwarwings.com/heres-all-the-c-47-skytrains-flying-to-normandy-for-d-day-2019/?fbclid=IwAR3D05F0_TcVgmhTV0pXREQJJjHm0Qck8Mxqh15M9tXBDRZUMLYxTF1EIlc

5. “Drag ’Em OoT” N473DC – Aero Legends / Paddy Green

drag.jpg Archangel12 / Public Domain

Drag ’em Oot flew the U.S. 82nd Airborne on D-Day and went on to fly a second mission on the very same day to resupply the troops in France. She also participated in Operation Market Garden in September 1944, the largest paradropping operation in history.

14. “Luck Of The Irish” N836M- Air Heritage

irish.jpg tractorhead04 / YouTube

This C-47 flew with the 53rd Troop Carrier Wing , 435th Troop Carrier Group’s 75th Troop Carrier Squadron. She flew two resupply missions during the Battle of the Bulge and towed Waco CG-4A gliders for Operation Varsity on March 24, 1945. She then repatriated Allied POWs from France to England at the end of the war.

13. C-47A RA-2944G

12. “Betsy’s Biscuit Bomber” N47SJ – Gooney Bird Group

betsy.jpg Skeet Shooter / Public Domain

N47SJ, built in Oklahoma in 1944, arrived too late for D-Day, but still contributed to the war effort in Operation Market Garden and the Battle of the Bulge. She also participated in the the Berlin Airlift. Her name, “Betsy’s Biscuit Bomber,” pays tribute to the wife of museum owner and Gooney Bird Group co-founder Glen Thompson and to its role in dropping supplies to troops.

Didn't our own Marshall Dan Troop drive a DC-3?   :huh:

Come to think of it, where is the Marshall?  Anyone heard from him?  confused.gif

Meanwhile, here's Helen Brimstone a few years ago in the co-pilot seat of Betsy's Biscuit Bomber...  We were admiring the plane at an air show; I mentioned to the crew that Ms Brimstone's mom had been Donald Douglas' personal assistant during the war and they invited her aboard.  smile-or-happy-face.gif

667422809_KarenDC-3BetsysBiscuitBomber.jpg.e7221e2998c7cdf05c68f7c8f68c9b56.jpg

I have always been a fan of the C-47. My grandfather flew them in Korea. Mainly he flew cargo and supplies but one day things had gone sideways for some Marines and he got them out of there. He described the situation as "sporty."

5 hours ago, Tall Tale Todd said:

I have always been a fan of the C-47. My grandfather flew them in Korea. Mainly he flew cargo and supplies but one day things had gone sideways for some Marines and he got them out of there. He described the situation as "sporty."

Sporty.

Says it all. 

Archived