SASS Wire Forum

Passing things on....

Just sharing this because...

I am downsizing.  ‘Bout 30 years ago I started making Windsor chairs. Windsors came about in the time 1750-1820. A style of chair that was hand made and an early industry in America. I made many chairs at Mike Dunbar’s school in Hampton, NH. He is retired now.  Among those chairs was a pair of children’s chairs, a little “sack back” style chair and a chair with longer legs, a high chair.  All three of my grandkids have used them.

When my #2 daughter got married I gave her a set of chairs that she has used for 20+ years. I recently gave her 4 more including what I think was my best work, a settee. It is not easy to get a six legged chair to look right with only hand tools and an eyeball.

i am pleased as punch that she wanted more of my chairs and my brands. When I suggested that in ten years or so there might be someone might be in need of the kid’s chairs because she will be a grandmother she gave me a B).

I’d love to see some pictures of your work. One of my good friends builds Windsor chairs out here and they are beautiful.

I have a friend who said she didn't understand the Southern attachment to things -- it's just stuff.  Well, no, it's not.  It's the link to people we loved, and who loved us, that we treasure.  Your great-grandchildren are gonna love those chairs.

FWIW, the legs, turned parts above the seat, and rockers are hard maple, the seat is pine, the bent parts, the crest, and the carved spindles are red oak, and there are two pieces of cherry on the hands.

no electrons were harmed in the making of this chair.

Very nice. How many Windsor chairs have you built over the years?

Are you still building them?

That’s to bad, you do nice work and are obviously very talented. You build your chairs using nearly all hand tools and I admire that a lot.

Two more....

Photos could be better

perhaps some context is in order, before the 18th century, the common folk did not have chairs, stumps or planks were more common. While the privileged classes had more ornate chairs.  A few unique properties of the Windsors actually let the legs tighten instead of loosen as the joint aged.

3007A143-F889-40D3-8F01-D24A8CFDC4DC.jpeg

735FC503-E10C-44FC-8D18-BF0B1F12E96E.jpeg

My wife loves Windsor chairs.

Archived