SASS Wire Forum

Hammer spurs on rifles,,,,,

I've shot Marlins since 2006, but still shoot my 73 made in 1976 without a hitch.    sold my 66 with all the bells and whistles and as short stroked as you can get, because I couldn't run it as fast as my Spur Marlin,  I couldn't find the front sight as quickly as the Marlin,  or my NI 73...

until lately that had me baffled,,,  my Marlins and my 73 the front and rear sights are visible with the hammer down,,,  but a newer 73 I couldn't find the sights quickly again,, the culprit,,, the hammer spur on my newer 73 blocks the sights, and you can't see the sights until after it's levered,,,  anyone else encounter this,,,

If I ever take to shooting the newer 73 I'd have to lower the spur,,,,

CC

Yep, same situation,doesn't  bother me much.If the stage calls for rifle in hand I find myself looking over the sights until I lever the rifle.If  I transition to the long gun I usually lever it as it settles on my shoulder,so the spur doesn't get in the way. 'Course I'm not the speediest shooter so it don't matter much .

9 hours ago, David Balthazar said:

Yup, they all got 'em. I believe the purpose was to let the shooter know the gun ain't prepared to fire...

true, but some don't get in the way of the sights before being cocked,,,

26 minutes ago, Snakebite said:

Just take the sights off..... problem solved.

bwahahahaha,,, or the spur!

17 minutes ago, Cheyenne Culpepper 32827 said:

bwahahahaha,,, or the spur!

I've got a cool little Remington Magazine Pistol...I collect oddities...and you can do what they did. Put a hole in the hammer so you can look through it and see your front sight.

No need to thank me.

:mellow:

On 5/31/2019 at 4:06 PM, Cheyenne Culpepper 32827 said:

until lately that had me baffled,,,  my Marlins and my 73 the front and rear sights are visible with the hammer down,,,  but a newer 73 I couldn't find the sights quickly again,, the culprit,,, the hammer spur on my newer 73 blocks the sights, and you can't see the sights until after it's levered,,,  anyone else encounter this,,,

Now ya' made me go look.  On my .38WCF straight stock, the hammer spur blocks the sights, same on an original, born in 1880.  On my .38sp pistol-grip stocked '73, the sights are not blocked.  Never even realized it. 

Archived