SASS Wire Forum

OLG probably has an answer ---- Unique

Anyone have a safe load  for a 45-70 Sharps rifle using Unique for a 525 grain lead bullet.  I am looking for about 1050 fps or so.  Somehow I am thinking that a suggested load of 13.8 grains may be a mite high.  See what shooting Black powder will do to you, when you have to have a smoke-less load you are up a tree. Land owner is afraid of fires from black powder in the heavy grass land (hog hunting).

My 3rd Edition Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook doesn't list any loads with that heavy a bullet.  The heaviest they list for the 1886 Winchester & 1895 Marlin is 420gr.  where the range for Unique is 11 & 13.5... So yeah, I'd say 13.8 for a 525 bullet is too stout.

Their listing for the Ruger #1 & 3 shows a 464 grain bullet with charges between 10 & 14.8 grains of Unique.  All show using a dacron wad over the powder.

If your rifle is an original Sharps, I'd be VERY careful about much experimenting with smokeless powders.  

And my 4th Edition of that same loading book doesn't list any recommended loads for Unique in the 45-70... at any of the 3 levels of their "safe for use in" listings.

If you have to use smokeless you might consider Accurate 5744. I realize that isn't what you ask for but I have used it in years past and it makes some decent lightish recoil loads and it has load data for that heavy of a bullet.

image.png.3ae25e15ed427cda00efc187e77889d7.png

image.png.563baa6bdca56c65bf1b778eab9d28f0.png

DING DING DING  Rex is right... Rex I do love that rifle.  Thank you again!

OLG - The rifle is a Shiloh I bought it from Rex.    OLG The landowner insists that I not use BP he is scared of a fire. The grass is 2 - 5 foot tall and it is drying out. He usually cuts for hay, but this year he is letting it go to till under in the fall. Right now he has hogs going crazy.  I figure I can hit a few with the heavy bullet at the range I will be shooting at - 10 feet to 100 yards. Beyond a 100 there is no way to see anything.

Tyrel Cody -I used to use 5744 but in my Pedersoli but there was too much unburned powder left. I went with Unique and or IMR 4198. 

A quick Google search indicates people using 9.0 - 13.5 with heavy bullets like that. I wouldn't. 5744 is dirty burning, but this is what it was made for.

Here's an old post on the Shiloh Rifle forums - I see Lumpy's name there several posts down from this one.

Read the 3rd line in the second post here:

http://www.shilohrifle.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=18584

THIS IS OBVIOUSLY A TYPO, DO NOT EVEN THINK ABOUT IT!

I’ve shot tons of 330 and 405 grn bullets out of Marlin with 14.2 Unique. 

I just got a Shiloh Sharps. 535 Grn bullet  with 15.0 Unique is 1150 FPS. Mild load, much gentler than a mid-range 4198 load. Seemed to work well. 

I shoot my Win 76 45-60 with a 305 grn bullet 12.0 Unique 

31 minutes ago, Hoss said:

I’ve shot tons of 330 and 405 grn bullets out of Marlin with 14.2 Unique.

Lessee here... tons, plural... two tons = 4000 pounds... times 7000 grains per pound = twenty eight million grains... divided by 330 = around 84,850 bullets...

14.2 grains per load... times 84,850 = 1,204, 870 grains, divided by 7000 = 172+ pounds...

Actually, for a serious shooter, over a few years and three or four rifles, that's not really out of the realm of possibility.

Just yankin' yer chain, Hoss. ;)

But not much, cuz it looks completely doable.

1 minute ago, J Bar Binks, #47015 said:

Lessee here... tons, plural... two tons = 4000 pounds... times 7000 grains per pound = twenty eight million grains... divided by 330 = around 84,850 bullets...

14.2 grains per load... times 84,850 = 1,204, 870 grains, divided by 7000 = 172+ pounds...

Actually, for a serious shooter, over a few years and three or four rifles, that's not really out of the realm of possibility.

Just yankin' yer chain, Hoss. ;)

But not much, cuz it looks completely doable.

Well, I am on my 3rd 8lb  jug of Unique. Plus a couple of 1 pounders. And I dont use it for Shotgun or 38 sp. 38-55, 45-60, 45-70

now I’m fretting about it in my sharps with the heavy bullet. 

I use 5744 for smokeless loads in 45-70 and 45-120. It works pretty well at around BP equivalent performance. For serious work and shoulder punishment 4198 is outstanding in rifles that can take it. Everything else gets GOEX. 

Unburned cereals of powder in the barrel shouldn’t bother you unless the load is erratic, inconsistent or temperature sensitive.

IMR 3031 is your hero in the 45-70.  I have used it in a Pedersoli Sharps and Rolling Block with good results with all bullets from 385gr to 525gr.

A case full of IMR 4831 will work well enough, but leaves a lot of unburned kernels in the barrel.

Good Luck,

Duffield

I used 5744 in my 50/140. I requested information from the powder manufacturer on loads for that caliber and received load data from them.  Bullets were stated to be 685 grain but turned out to be 720 grain. I needed a long bullet for that chamber. It is a Pedersoli made Rolling Block. Loaded cartridges are 4 inches long. I haven't shot it in years but would like to try it with BP.

Horace

17 hours ago, Tyrel Cody said:

If you have to use smokeless you might consider Accurate 5744. I realize that isn't what you ask for but I have used it in years past and it makes some decent lightish recoil loads and it has load data for that heavy of a bullet.

image.png.3ae25e15ed427cda00efc187e77889d7.png

image.png.563baa6bdca56c65bf1b778eab9d28f0.png

I am using an Aussie equivalent for this powder (AR2205) in my Pedersoli sharps and it seems to work pretty well.

I am using 22gr behind a 535gr proj for around 1140fps.

Well I didnt blow up the gun using the larger load. BUT the chrono gave the velocity as 1067 for 20 shot average.  The primers were still rounded at the edges of the pockets and the firing pin indention was not deeper than any of the BP rounds I have fired.   I dont know at this point.... I do think it is time to contact the manufacturer and see what their thoughts are. Thanks for all so far...

REX   my eyesight is deteriorating and after the DR visit yesterday the best he could get me to is 20-25 and he thinks I need to bite the bullet (no pun intended) and go ahead and do the cataract surgery.... Now I wish I had bought the scope too.... Hope your wife is doing well and all the family.

Well, I broke down and bought a pound of 5744. I think I’ll try 22grns with a 535 bullet. 

Btw, these were my first shots out of the Shiloh at 100 yds using the Unique load 

614BFD0D-EE2C-4E4D-91E2-A4DA1E591AFC.jpeg

On 6/1/2019 at 5:45 PM, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Hoss, 3-4" at 100 yds needs some tuning.

How much Unique did you use?

With smokeless-You should use a firm roll crimp.

Also-Plot your shots. Like which one is the CBS.

OLG

No doubt some work to do. But those were my first shots with new rifle. I shot it a few rounds when I first got it, but this was my first real range trip. 

I was using 15.0 Unique. With a roll crimp. 1142 FPS on first shot, but then mt chrono went off line. I think it was too windy for it. I also loaded some 4198. It’s was quite a bit stouter load according to my shoulder. 

I picked up some 5744 to try.

On 6/1/2019 at 3:59 PM, Muleshoe Bill SASS #67022 said:

Well I didnt blow up the gun using the larger load. BUT the chrono gave the velocity as 1067 for 20 shot average.  The primers were still rounded at the edges of the pockets and the firing pin indention was not deeper than any of the BP rounds I have fired.   I dont know at this point.... I do think it is time to contact the manufacturer and see what their thoughts are. Thanks for all so far...

The 45-70 Cartridge will take chambers pressures in excess of 60,000 PSI and show none of the excess pressure signs you referenced.

The action on your Sharps will fail long before before you are even close to the loads that a modern Ruger #1 or #3 can easily handle.  

12 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

The 45-70 Cartridge will take chambers pressures in excess of 60,000 PSI and show none of the excess pressure signs you referenced.

The action on your Sharps will fail long before before you are even close to the loads that a modern Ruger #1 or #3 can easily handle.  

Not true in BP era guns. Oh-HECK no in a rolling block..........

Shiloh '74's has exceeded Ruger #1 in HP White Lab destructive testing.

The Sharps '74 is one of the strongest single shot receivers ever made.

OLG

On 6/1/2019 at 5:45 PM, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Hoss, 3-4" at 100 yds needs some tuning.

How much Unique did you use?

With smokeless-You should use a firm roll crimp.

Also-Plot your shots. Like which one is the CBS.

OLG

Lumpy, this one mo Betta!  200 yds. 25 grns 5744. My chrono still not working but I’m guessing 1150 or so. 

B7C0DBBA-6830-40AE-B0CC-A8011D5A2A79.jpeg

Archived