SASS Wire Forum

Thanks for the help, Goto what I needed from Jackrabbit Joe #414

I bought a Marlin 1894 in 357 and got to testing it out last week. So far, I have determined it needs a new hammer spring ( I have several), a one piece firing pin (got 2 left), a screw to replace the push button hammer safety ( I need one of these) and the last person that had it filed off the lever safety. I went to Brownells for the lever safety and they are on backorder. from what I can tell, without the lever safety, it can be slam fired or fired out of battery. I can see taking some parts out of a rifle to make it faster, but not this one and I am not going to fire it without. Does anybody have one they don't need and want to sell it.  It is part number 63 on this drawing. I also want to buy the screw for the hammer safety. Let me know what you have. Thanks

marlin parts.JPG

22 minutes ago, Warden Callaway said:

Is this the part you need?

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/407860D

Yo Maddog McCoy If that's the part I have one. Send me your info and will mail it to you no charge...Sent you a PM with info pard.

Tighten the allen screw to keep the cross bolt safety from working. Many Marlins are running just fine without the lever safety. Slam fire not real likely as the hammer will follow the bolt in and not have much force. I'm sure not all would agree!

46 minutes ago, Eyesa Horg said:

Tighten the allen screw to keep the cross bolt safety from working. Many Marlins are running just fine without the lever safety. Slam fire not real likely as the hammer will follow the bolt in and not have much force. I'm sure not all would agree!

My thoughts also.  Marlin has several safety features and I'd think it would be nearly impossible to have an out of battery discharge. 

One the blade on the lever fits into the cut in the bolt and also through a slot in the side of the firing pin.  The blade pushes the firing pin back and I don't think it will let it go forward until lever is closed. 

The two-piece firing pin will not align until the locking lug pushes it up inline. The lever pushes the locking lug up. So the firing pins are not aligned until the lever is closed.  

About the only thing the trigger to lever interlock does is prevent the trigger from being pulled before the lever is closed. If it is,  the hammer will follow the bolt down. The older 1894 don't have this feature. 

In addition,  the cartridge is not really against the bolt face until the bolt shoves it into the chamber.  

Thanks to Jackrabbit Joe #414 for the lever safety.

I had a Marlin with a one piece firing pin slam fire when I broke the lever safety spring. I was running it fast and if I hit the trigger before the lever was completely shut it would slam fire. I don't think it would with a 2 piece firing pin, but I am installing a one piece  on in this rifle so I prefer the lever safety to work.

Thanks for the replies, still would like to find the screw to replace the hammer block safety.

Maddog McCoy

OK Maddog McCoy its on the way tomorrow.

See you on the range some where in time.

JRJ

10 hours ago, Maddog McCoy SASS #5672 said:

Thanks for the replies, still would like to find the screw to replace the hammer block safety.

I suspect the little set screw is a standard size available at Ace Hardware or industrial supply store.  Trick is getting the right size.  Our local Ace hardware and Fastenall are accustomed to me dragging in some gun part and going through their their assignments.  I usually find someone and tell them what I'm bringing in and what I'm up to. I've not been refused yet.

If you have any assortment of small screws,  you may find a screw that fits the thread and then take the screw into the hardware store to find a match. I've done that before.  

P.S.  I've never taken out a hammer block safety - just tightened down the screw until it was fixed in the fire position.  But I suspect there is a plunger or ball and spring under the screw. Gun parts Corp lists it as an assembly.  

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/453200A

Here's a link to Slicks site for the safety cross bolt screw replacement. About half way down the page of Marlin parts:

http://www.slickmagicguns.com/SlickMercantile.html

and another for Long Hunter:

http://www.longhunt.com/storelh/index.php?route=product/category&path=88_93

Archived