SASS Wire Forum

Sharkbite Plumbing Fittings

Cypress Sun

Replaced my water heater today and gotta tell ya, Sharkbite plumbing hoses/fittings are the way to go. Screw it onto the nipples on top of the heater, slide it onto the feed/exit pipes (with a little force) and you're good to go. I wouldn't recommend them for concealed work or exterior work but for exposed work, they work great. You may need to install a bonding jumper between the cold water input and hot water exit bonding jumper to assure that the hot water pipe is grounded if it is metal pipe however.

Thought I'd let ya'll know.

I had to make an emergency repair to the water line from the city side of the water feed. The 75 year old galvanized pipe had rusted through where it left the ground (pier and beam house) just cit the pipe off, slip on a Shark-bite, slip it over the galvanized, then cut out a section of galvanized, slip in some  PEX and another Shark-bite to the remaining section of galvanized to the rest of the water line. Temporary fix worked. I will not go into the complete replacement of the old water lines in the house...

I used a shark bite fitting partially out of curiosity.  My plumbing is under the house and the basement is unfinished with a concrete floor and french drains so a failure would be of little real concern as it would not cause any significant damage.  I figured I would replace it if it ever leaked.  Nope, no leaks, not 1 year later, not 3 years later, not 5 years later.  never a drop of moisture on it beyond the occasional condensation on the pipes in general.  I wish I had invented, developed, produced and marketed this product, cause it is a winner.

I've used them several times for emergency repairs. They're good. I usually use PEX for hidden stuff though.

• 3 weeks later...

Great stuff. Not cheap but they can really save you a lot of aggravation. 

I used several of those fittings to connect a water heater discharge pipe to the pipe that drains outside the house through the wall. Worked great.

My father in law is a hard man to please.
He will use nothing else.

J. Mark's testimony is also most compelling.

I'm sold!

Archived