SASS Wire Forum

Reshoot scoring?

Dusty Devil Dale

Does anybody understand why both scores are turned in for a reshoot?  (See SHB Glossary - - Reshoot)

Does anybody actually do that, or is this a leftover dinosaur from a now- long-past time? 

Just asking.  

1 hour ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

Does anybody understand why both scores are turned in for a reshoot?  (See SHB Glossary - - Reshoot)

Does anybody actually do that, or is this a leftover dinosaur from a now- long-past time? 

Just asking.  

It is recommended procedure to write down the original score in event it is determined that a reshoot was not justified.

Many major events now require "sign-off" by a match official above the PM before granting a reshoot at the time of occurrence.

17 minutes ago, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

It is recommended procedure to write down the original score in event it is determined that a reshoot was not justified.

Many major events now require "sign-off" by a match official above the PM before granting a reshoot at the time of occurrence.

Interesting.  Thank you for the prompt clarification.  I never thought about a reshoot being protested or rescinded.  The glossary account was not clear how the two scores could or should be used.  Thx again. 

Professional scorekeeper here.  Only once in the last 20+ years have I been asked to record both scores.  In my experience, fewer reshoots are being granted these days, and I can't remember one that did not seem justified.  Usually, if there is a question, it gets resolved before the reshoot happens.   I truly do not see the point of recording both.

Case in point (not reshoot-related, but the advantage of recording scores for ALL completed stages):

Last stage of EoT (some years ago).

Shooter restaged revolver in an "illegal" manner at the end of the stage.

Score (raw time + penalties) was recorded (paper scoring only was being used)

Match official on the posse then declared the violation was a MATCH DQ...notation was made on scoresheet.

While waiting for awards ceremony, someone asked a different match official about the penalty for the violation.

It was immediately confirmed that it should only have been a STAGE DQ.

Match Scorekeeper was notified; posse scoresheets were checked and changed accordingly.

Rewritten category listing was given to the awards MC.

Shooter ended up "buckling" in category (<10 shooters in the category)

It is a good idea, especially if the reshoot is questionable. Rather than slow the posse down, it enables them to keep going and the back up score is there if you need it. Not used often but it is better than having to go back and reshoot it after the fact. And sometimes that is not possible at shoots the need to reset targets for the next day.

Archived