SASS Wire Forum

LOOKING IT INTO THE HOLSTER

Circuit Rider Jeff

1 hour ago, Deuce Stevens SASS#55996 said:

I look mine in with my left eye while tracking the next target with my right eye. 

How in the world can you see in 2 different locations?

Guest Texas jack Black SASS#9362

Some shooters seem to have had their belly buttons raises so I would not be surprised to see eyeballs relocated so to be able to track a target and watch the gun into the holster. :D :FlagAm:

1 hour ago, Hells Comin said:

How in the world can you see in 2 different locations?

It’s a trait generally found in Missouri and Arkansas folk but occasionally poos up in Michigan........

As a cross-draw duelist, I don't as a general rule, but I noticed the other day that I do when pistols are not the last gun on the string, especially if there is a movement to the next shooting location.  This is likely because I'm still holding the pistol with my off hand at my belly button with the barrel partially in the cross holster and I look them in before leaving the line.

8 hours ago, Buck D. Law, SASS #62183 said:

J-BAR and Tennessee Williams, you're both right. While the inherent proprioception is inherited, one's ability to improve from their base exists to varying levels. Not everyone is capable of training enough to be at the very top of this game, but everyone can improve.

I'm getting a bit of a kick out of the conversation because when I teach an introduction to CAS to new shooters, the first thing I do is give them the field sobriety test and I've never had anyone fail. As I tell them, "The reason you can touch your finger to your nose with your eyes closed is that you've spent your entire life picking your nose. You've practiced a lot. Now the goal is to practice gun handling movements to the point that they are as natural as picking your nose." I teach to look into the holsters, but I understand that it is possible to practice to the point that it might not be necessary for some. After all, we can stick a spoon into our mouth and stick our fingers into our ears without the ability to see either. 

Shooting is no different in many ways than anything else we do. When we began learning to drive, we were full-on focused on steering, accelerating, braking, and watching everything and everyone extremely closely. We were so focused on individual things that we lacked focus on the whole driving thing. We were at our most dangerous during that stage and insurance companies know this. Eventually, we drove enough that we relegated all of these things to the subconscious mind. When I went to my truck this morning, I did not have to think; open the door, get in, put the key in the ignition, place my foot on the brake, turn the key, put the shifter into reverse, release the brake, and press the accelerator. It's a good thing too. Did you notice that I didn't shut the door? Oh crap, there goes the door!

I advise starting out looking them in. After some practice, a shooter will begin to learn where they are and they will do everything faster. They might stop looking them in and they might just do it so fast that you won't notice without the aid of slow motion. As long as you're hitting the holster. . .you're doing it the right way. :)

Well said Buck. I totally agree, especially with the last paragraph. 

It helps a bunch when you have someone build your rig that fits your particular ergonomics. 

"...Not everyone is capable of training enough to be at the very top of this game, but everyone can improve...."

aint that the bottom line of it all ?

16 hours ago, Deuce Stevens SASS#55996 said:

It’s a trait generally found in Missouri and Arkansas folk but occasionally poos up in Michigan........

Glad I don't live in Michigan. The snow here is bad enough. We sure don't need any poo.:P

FYI, it does not slow you down to look the gun into the holster. 

With a good fit and stance, you don't need to look , but unless you have practice it enough to make it automatic, you may forget to during a match.   (I rarely look.)

If you are moving, etc, you will have a little different dynamic so that it is easier to miss the holster, so it is insurance to look, if you can remember.

Deuce Steven's, not only a top shooter but a cowboy who is got an eye on his target and that hot dog your eating at the same time! Lol

OCITM_d.jpg

On 5/30/2019 at 2:37 PM, Lawdog Dago Dom said:

https://thedeadones.files.wordpress.com/2014/01/marty-feldman-1934-1982.jpg

[Froederick and Igor are exhuming a dead criminal] 

Dr. Frederick Frankenstein : What a filthy job.

Igor : Could be worse.

Dr. Frederick Frankenstein : How?

Igor : Could be raining.

[it starts to pour] 

29 minutes ago, Hashknife Cowboy said:

Learn to re-holster without looking.......know your gear.

I've know World Champs, National Champs, all the way down the line that knew their gear as good as you can know your gear...and they've missed the holsters.

So...it'll happens...

Phantom

Guest Texas jack Black SASS#9362

Now I know why the mens bathrooms have more on the floor than in the urinals  :FlagAm:   pay attention

8 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

I've know World Champs, National Champs, all the way down the line that knew their gear as good as you can know your gear...and they've missed the holsters.

So...it'll happens...

Phantom

YUP!!!    

SCJ

Interesting thread. However, what I find MOST IMPRESSIVE about this topic is the vocabulary!

And to think, all this time I thought Tennessee Williams was a Hillbilly! :wub: 

Big hugs!

Scarlett

To me it's all a risk vs. reward proposition.  The best thing that can happen by not looking pistols into the holsters is to shave maybe 1/10th of a second off my stage time.  The worst thing that could happen is a dropped gun.  The risk far exceeds the reward so I look them in. 

5 hours ago, Moog said:

Wait! You guys shoot with ur eyes open? i knew i was doing something wrong.

Now hang on there. Don’t make assumptions. We’re only talking about looking guns into holsters. Nobody mentioned shooting those guns. :D

No need to look it into the holster, every gun manufacturer puts that blade at the end of the barrel that some call a sight, it's really a holster guide to assist with the entry into the holster.

They even make those little brass slip on covers to make'em bigger for those that need a little extra help holstering.

Heck, I even heard some "gamers" file'em down for POE (point of entry) to make holstering even faster and more accurate.

Totes.

Archived