SASS Wire Forum

Lowering hammer spurs

Marshal Hangtree

I'd like to have the hammer spurs on my Taurus Gaucho's lowered.  The hammers are stainless.  I remember reading several months ago about a good source for this modification, but my "search" talents on this forum have a lot to be desired.  Can someone send me in the right direction?

Thanks,

MH

Boomstick Jay, but wait until August cause he should be busy with mine until then :P

I'm sure there are several more gunsmith's that can do this as well. Pretty Sure Jimmy Spurs does it as well as Lassiter, etc...

Be sure to shoot a few stages with borrowed guns that have lower hammer spurs.   I put SB hammers in my old Vaqueros and they helped when shooting duelist style, but I had trouble with the spurs hitting the web between thumb and trigger finger when shooting two handed.  So on that pair I’m back to original hammers, and use them only for two handed categories.  When I want to shoot as a Duelist I use my Old Armies with spurs lowered by Lassiter.

Thanks, Tyrel.  Boomstick Jay was who I was thinking of before, but I just couldn't remember his name.  I'll be sure to slip him an extra $20 to put mine in front of yours. :lol:

J-Bar, I only shoot Duelist or Gunfighter, so a two handed style would not be affected.  My thumbs just aren't quite long enough to make pulling the hammer back with my shooting hand comfortable or anywhere near speedy.

MH

53 minutes ago, Marshal Hangtree said:

Thanks, Tyrel.  Boomstick Jay was who I was thinking of before, but I just couldn't remember his name.  I'll be sure to slip him an extra $20 to put mine in front of yours. :lol:

J-Bar, I only shoot Duelist or Gunfighter, so a two handed style would not be affected.  My thumbs just aren't quite long enough to make pulling the hammer back with my shooting hand comfortable or anywhere near speedy.

MH

What you need is more RECOIL, that'll raise the muzzle up making it an easy reach for your thumb on the way back down; that should do you until at least August :P:lol: :lol:

14 hours ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

Be sure to shoot a few stages with borrowed guns that have lower hammer spurs.   I put SB hammers in my old Vaqueros and they helped when shooting duelist style, but I had trouble with the spurs hitting the web between thumb and trigger finger when shooting two handed.  So on that pair I’m back to original hammers, and use them only for two handed categories.  When I want to shoot as a Duelist I use my Old Armies with spurs lowered by Lassiter.

If you put SB hammers on your vaqueros still with a standard stroke and shooting two handed, you need really to short stroke them.

• 3 weeks later...

I was recently told that many hammers are "cast", and not conducive to heat bending.  Is there a good method of determining if my hammers are "cast" (assuming MIM) or if they are solid stock that can be heat bent?

Thanks y'all

1 hour ago, Marshal Hangtree said:

I was recently told that many hammers are "cast", and not conducive to heat bending.  Is there a good method of determining if my hammers are "cast" (assuming MIM) or if they are solid stock that can be heat bent?

Thanks y'all

Does anyone know what makers use cast hammers? I think I've seen them on C&Bs and flintlocks, but I don't think I've seen one on a modern or historical replica revolver.  CNC machining is so prevalent now, I'd be surprised if all firearm manufacturers aren't using it, followed by heat treating (except SS, which can't be heat hardened).  

Does anyone know for sure? 

How about on orig. historical firearms? 

CNC machining can be applied to cast, forged or billet parts. Lots of Uberti and Pietta parts look like they have casting marks and texture to me. They are steel not iron so bending and welding is easy.

17 minutes ago, Lead Monger said:

Lots of Uberti and Pietta parts look like they have casting marks and texture to me. They are steel not iron so bending and welding is easy.

Thinking about it, a lot of their parts do appear to have sand casting texture.   In fact, Ruger Vaquero receivers also have that appearance on the unfinished surfaces.  I was thinking cast iron.  My error.  

But the cast steel parts should be able to be modified easily enough.  

37 minutes ago, John Barleycorn, SASS #76982 said:

The Gaucho is out of production, not sure if I would mess with the stock parts since replacement hammers would be difficult to find at best. 

Yep.  I've considered that as well, Barleycorn.  I'd probably be better off getting thumb extensions sewn on.  :o

• 2 months later...

Well, I've looked and looked and looked for a spare set of replacement hammers, should the reprofiling of the hammer spurs causes a breakage.  Absolutely no luck so far.  Anyone have any suggestions?  Do any other hammers fit these Gaucho's?  They have transfer bars if that helps.

On 5/29/2019 at 12:16 PM, Marshal Hangtree said:

I'd like to have the hammer spurs on my Taurus Gaucho's lowered.  The hammers are stainless.  I remember reading several months ago about a good source for this modification, but my "search" talents on this forum have a lot to be desired.  Can someone send me in the right direction?

Thanks,

MH

Contact Boomstick Jay.  He has welded SBH hammer spurs onto other hammers in the past.

I just got off the phone with Lassiter, and he'll be doing the hammer work for me.  I'd still like to find a pair of replacement hammers in case I decide to go back to stock configuration.

Yepper!!  Your replacement hammers are available.  Unfortunately, they are current in someone else  guns.  You might seriously consider looking at new guns.

1 hour ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Yepper!!  Your replacement hammers are available.  Unfortunately, they are current in someone else  guns.  You might seriously consider looking at new guns.

I would, but:

1)  I can't afford to buy another set of pistolas right now,

2)  Other than the tall hammer spurs, the Gaucho's shoot great.  Very smooth action, trigger, etc.

3)  I'd probably have to spend a lot on any new guns getting slicked up, and new hammers for them as well.

But I'm always looking for someone else who might want to sell another set of Gaucho's to use for parts guns should the need arise.

Just got my converted  ROA hammers back from Boomstick..very happy & will use them at a monthly this w'end.

I like the SBH & also have them on my other cowboy  six guns.

002.JPG

Johnny Meadows put SBH hammers on my Uberti Stallons and they are just simply grrreat.

JRJ

Archived