SASS Wire Forum

Historical info on six shooter

Years ago I bought a Bisley from a guy who said it was shared by his two uncles on the Winslow police force in the early 1900's. There are a couple of initials in pencil on the inside of the pearl grips that I would like to match up to the police force of Winslow if possible but I can't find any records from the time period in question. I was in Winslow yesterday and checked at the local museum with no luck and went to the police department where the receptionist said she didn't know of any such records - well duh I wouldn't expect that she would but she didn't offer anyone else's assistance either. I have to assume that since all city employees get paid that there would be some kind of records documenting who got paid. Has anyone got an idea of what kind of records I should look for and where to find them?

You could probably look at U.S. Census records and find out who was living in and around Winslow. While that won't tell you if they worked there or not, you could probably do a google search for names with that matched the initials and something might pop. Public Library there could probably point you in the right direction as well.

2 hours ago, Tyrel Cody said:

You could probably look at U.S. Census records and find out who was living in and around Winslow. While that won't tell you if they worked there or not, you could probably do a google search for names with that matched the initials and something might pop. Public Library there could probably point you in the right direction as well.

Depending on the Census, it might show the occupation of the persons listed.

If it were me, I would start at the local public library. Determine if they have any city archives, or if they know of a local historical society that you can contact.

Not all records are kept forever. Government agencies generally have a schedule of records retention. Certain records are kept for the length of time specified on thee schedule and then destroyed. So it could be that any official records going back that far are no longer in existence.

Archived