SASS Wire Forum

Another way to look at attending State and Higher Matches

Buckaroo Bubba

I have often heard, "I am not good enough to shoot at the State match", or "I am not ready to shoot a State match". (I was guilty of this years ago).

Well here is another way to look at attending a "Big Match".

Consider for a moment that you go to your State match, you meet some new friends from another State, some really great friends. Your State match might be the only time you get to see these new friends. Now you go back the following year, and you meet some more new friends maybe from another State plus you get to visit with your friends you made last year. Then the following year and so on and so on.

True, the competition at the State and Higher matches gets tougher and if trying to win is the only reason you go to a big match, so be it. But I think for most of us it's something more. Like the SASS motto says "Come for the Shooting, Stay for the People". That really hits you when you go to a State or Higher match. Often that will be the only time you get to see those friends during the year.

I have met so many great friends by attending our State match, from other States and just from other parts of my State. When we get back together once a year we just pick back up where we left off.

So just do it! Don't worry about your skill level or experience, those matches are for everyone. Go to your State match or Regional or visit another State's match or Winter Range or EOT...

(I know, there is additional costs involved but it's worth it)

Take advantage of all this sport has to offer.

Great thread, BB. If I attended matches because I thought I was going to win, I wouldn’t attend many matches. Meeting new people and hanging out with old friends is plenty of reason to attend big matches. 

Well said. 

I finally went to a state match other than TN this year(KY) and had a ball. 

I'm gonna make it to Ohio State one of these years. When you coming to TN State? :D

•  I get to shoot interesting side matches at major matches likes the Plainsman, long range and cowboy clay events.
  • My wife and I can shop the vendors.  We always go home with a few purchases.
  • We camp with our fellow shooters for a full day of enjoyment.

Local matches don't offer all the above.  Plus winning your category or a side match is a real ego-booster that keeps one coming back to the local practice range.

This year's match planning seemed particularly stressful at times.  But knowing the folks I hadn't seen for months or years lifted my spirits and energized me.  It stuck with me as they began arriving as early as mid-week and the reunion went on for five days.  At the conclusion of our opening ceremony I was struck with a thought.  I asked everyone to take a few seconds to look around and see how many people they knew before they began cowboy action shooting - excluding family.  There was a noticeable silence.   Then I said, "Here's to strangers that become friends and friends who become family!"  Yeehaw!  And off we went.
We started with new friends who lived within about 2-3 hours of us and now we have friends from all over the world.  Go to the match!   

38 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Well said. 

I'm gonna make it to Ohio State one of these years. When you coming to TN State? :D

If you are considering the Ohio state match then by all means consider the Michigan state match--Wolverine Rangers Range War.  It takes place over the Labor Day weekend.  This year is the 21st anniversary of Range War and with that, there were 21 half price entries available to the first 21 registrants who had never shot Range War before.  As of a few days ago there were still 3 half price "tickets" to be had.  Registration for the discount must be made on-line.  https://wolverinerangers.formstack.com/forms/2019rangewarshooterapp

Well said BBubba!

When someone tells me that he is not ready for a BIG match, I point out that there is only ONE person that cares hou you do - YOU!

The rest is about friends old and new.

If I didn't attend our Ohio State match, I would barely shoot at all! Not for a lack of trying, it just seems my schedule is consistently too full, or there is something in the way. My scores show it, believe me. But heck, the upside is everyone else in the Duelist category this year could say, "Well, I didn't finish last!" Oh, the other upside? I had a great time, got to shoot with great people, and had a good dinner Saturday night! I had to miss the Friday steak dinner because of work.

59 minutes ago, Outrider Outlaw said:

If you are considering the Ohio state match then by all means consider the Michigan state match--Wolverine Rangers Range War.  It takes place over the Labor Day weekend.  This year is the 21st anniversary of Range War and with that, there were 21 half price entries available to the first 21 registrants who had never shot Range War before.  As of a few days ago there were still 3 half price "tickets" to be had.  Registration for the discount must be made on-line.  https://wolverinerangers.formstack.com/forms/2019rangewarshooterapp

I'd really like to especially since this is Deuce's last time to run it(for a while). The kids being in school/sports and it being Labor Day weekend causes several scheduling conflicts; that and an 11 hour drive. I'll look at it a little harder when I get my son's Cross Country schedule.

6 hours ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Well said. 

Yeah I hear you Tyrel! My buddy Six Gun Seamus was telling me about meeting you at one of the matches this year.

The balance act of Family, Vacation Time, and Money seems to interfere with me going to a lot of matches.

I always try to get to Ohio St, and 2-3 other annual matches. Michigan State typically lands on our monthly match at Tusco, someone has to run it.. and the PA State Match is the same weekend as Ohio St. and Indiana lands in July which is hard with Family plans.

I will probably never be a top shooter, but I enjoy shooting at annuals. I have made many lifetime friends across this country that I blessed to know, and hanging out and playing cowboy and camping for the weekend is a great escape from life. If it wasn't for the friends I have made through my travels, I could not have made it through the last year

I tell folks who say they aren't good enough for a "big" match,  It's like a local match only bigger.  I'm blessed in that I've gotten to travel a bunch to shoots, and have made friends from all over the country.  I can't get enough either!

I've heard it described as a giant family reunion where you actually like everyone. Oh......and you get to shoot, too.

I attended my first "big match" at the Wolverine Ranger's Range War.  I was asked to share my experience with other new comers.  I wrote a little primer.  True, written for Michigan, but there are probably a few tips for the new comer that applies to all matches.  You can find my article here:  https://www.wolverinerangers.org/RW General Docs/RangeWarPrimer.pdf

A few years ago I attended my first State match here in Florida.

I had been shooting Outlaw for a couple of years and had managed to eek out a win or two at the local matches against my mentor/nemesis, Larry Earp. So I figured it might be my time.

As luck would have it the Gang of Outlaws plus one came down from Tennessee and Kentucky that year so I got to shoot with, and get my butt handed to me by not only Larry Earp but TN Tombstone and Whiskey Creek Johnson. Cheering them on was Copperhead Joe, Miss Bo and Iron Maiden.

I know Judge Em All Duncan and Yaz were there too but not sure if they shot Outlaw or not.

Anyhow we all went to dinner together and I ended up sitting between Lady T and Miss Bo. How could that be bad? Copperhead Joe started talking to me about Black Gold. Everything being included in the price, entertainment, hillbilly Olympics, etc.

Went to my first Black Gold that next July.

I had so much fun there it changed my life. I wanted to do more big matches, meet more cowboys so that's how Outlaw Bullets was born.

Been meeting more and more new friends ever since.

Don't wait until you think you can win.

Know in your head if you go to a State Match you have ALREADY WON.

Waimea

2 hours ago, Sixgun Seamus said:

I've heard it described as a giant family reunion where you actually like everyone. Oh......and you get to shoot, too.

The past two years at the Ohio State match, I've asked on the application to be posse'd with you and Kay, "or other patient shooters!"

2 hours ago, Sixgun Seamus said:

There's been known to be shooting at some of the giant family reunion's down here, but you did mention liking everyone :lol:

I am / have attended/ 5 state matches this year. It is all about the people nothing to do with where I place. Huge fun

I haven't shot in a state match yet, but am planning to shoot in an out of state annual and a state match later this summer.  We bought a travel trailer last summer with plans to start traveling to other matches.  This was also a new experience for us.  Never owned a camper or went camping.   We traveled to a next door state for a club's annual match in early May and camped at the range.  It was my first time to compete somewhere other than my local club.  I had a great time, met some nice folks and now I'm ready to do more of these.  I'll never be a top shooter either, but for me seeing how other clubs run their match, meeting great people and seeing some new country is what makes it for me.  We hope to meet up with all the pards that we met at that match somewhere down the trail again, soon.  

i generally attend at least two every year , im one of the lower half always in finishing but somebody has to be there and i have made way too many friends not to , i want to shoot more but time constraints dont allow , i will miss one of my favorites this year due to family commitments - i will miss those friends , working on a different match to fill that gap , 

A bit like speed events..most say it's a waste of time & have no chance..for me they are fun to run against yourself..& as I tell the wife 'look at them as function firing'...she does them most times now just to make sure everything is right !

Another thing about going to annuals and state shoots, is it makes your own annuals better. You learn new sweeps, see different props, see what works, and see what doesn't. I keep a notebook in my camper where I scribble down ideas from other shoots in the evenings, or notes about things to avoid, and bring them back home to aid in planning my own state shoot/annual. We try to make ours fun for everyone, and if we succeed, a lot of that is due to things I learned by attending other annuals

3 hours ago, StirrupTrouble said:

Another thing about going to annuals and state shoots, is it makes your own annuals better. You learn new sweeps, see different props, see what works, and see what doesn't. I keep a notebook in my camper where I scribble down ideas from other shoots in the evenings, or notes about things to avoid, and bring them back home to aid in planning my own state shoot/annual. We try to make ours fun for everyone, and if we succeed, a lot of that is due to things I learned by attending other annuals

I just returned from PA State.

They have a plate rack with a swinger underneath that is diabolical.

Took pictures so I can steal the idea, just like a good Outlaw would do.:lol:

Waimea

PS If I worried about my placement, I'd not shoot anymore.

PPS More disheartening to me are all of the problems I had away from the match last weekend; couldn't get my heater to work (it was cold), spilled water on the floor the night before coming home and badly rusted two SGs (found out when I got home), broke the switch off my pilot light and couldn't turn it off (someone helped me :wub: ), took a horrible road home that landed me about 80 miles south of where I needed to be (bad advice),... I WANT A NEW TRAILER AND A CA MAP!

8 hours ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

More disheartening to me are all of the problems I had away from the match last weekend

Just bought a camping trailer.  You are scaring me.

FWIW, I use a 1998 Sunnybrook Fifth Wheel that has been to Texas, Oklahoma, Arizona, Utah, Colorado, South Dakota, Montana, Wyoming, Nevada, Idaho, and multiple west coast annuals in the last five years.  RV's require regular maintenance due to the nature of being a portable campsite.  If you are able to keep up with that, they can last a long time and are reliable.  Some brands are better put together than others as Allie has said so it is important to check user reviews prior to any purchase.

Archived