SASS Wire Forum

Any of you...

Dirty Dan Dawkins

No.

No.

no.

No.

And No.

Based on past experience you cannot special order anything from wally world.

Store employees will tell you they can but reality is that corporate decides what gets shipped to a store and the store has zero input.

I've talked with the sales lady at our local Walmart.   They have a catalog that you can pick from.  They call and check availability.  You pay some down payment.  They get it in.  I think you loose the down payment if you don't buy the gun.  The conversation was several years ago.  The catalog had an amazing choice of guns. 

16 minutes ago, Warden Callaway said:

I've talked with the sales lady at our local Walmart.   They have a catalog that you can pick from.  They call and check availability.  You pay some down payment.  They get it in.  I think you loose the down payment if you don't buy the gun.  The conversation was several years ago.  The catalog had an amazing choice of guns. 

Amazing choice... You mean something above what an average gun store has available through their distributors???

I don't know about WallyWorld but shooters have some tough decisions to make. Find a gun across the country for a "bargain price" and have it shipped or go to your LGS and have em order it for you. I love to support my locals (Amazon and the like are killing local commerce) but I also like to save a buck. I have done both, mostly because the LGS did not have what I wanted (Lg frame Vaqueros) and I found them on Gunxxxxxx. I have also walked into said LGS and found exactly what I wanted and even though it was a little more than online, I bought it. We have two in town, one smaller than the other. I love the guys at the smaller one, but to order something through them makes the price a good bit more than I can get it elsewhere. I do buy other than guns from the locals, I try to support them when I can. As for the aforementioned Arkansas based super store, our stores in town have had their gun selling privileges revoked more times than I can count and unless they were giving it away, I don't think I'd ever buy from them. Usually just shotgun shells.

I wouldn't even consider buying a gun from Wal-Mart much less special order one from them. Sorry but I'm of the opinion that when it comes to firearms I'd rather pay a few bucks more and support my local gun shop where I know I'll get 100% product support, and customer appreciation from them. Just my honest opinion.....

walmart places orders with places by saying we want xxx amount at xxx price. They then get the quality of xxx price on that product if that company decides to take the contract. So no I dont buy guns from there. I do support my independent gunshop and often have him order from his distributors the things that I want. 

1 hour ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Amazing choice... You mean something above what an average gun store has available through their distributors???

It's been several years since I had the conversation.   Maybe I'll take another look next time I'm in the store and report back.

When we started CAS,  we went shopping for a short list of specific guns.  We hit every one in a 100 mile radius.  Most shops and guy behind the counter were clueless.   They had nothing in the way of cowboy guns and were reluctant to talk about ordering anything.  One local shop I've done business with for many years tried to sale me a Ruger 2245 for CAS because it was a great target pistol and he had it. 

We have found a couple of great gunshops that often have cowboy guns. One will order anything for his price plus $25.  He backordered a second Taylor's Smoke Wagon Deluxe for me.  He even took an old safe queen in on trade.  

9 minutes ago, Warden Callaway said:

It's been several years since I had the conversation.   Maybe I'll take another look next time I'm in the store and report back.

When we started CAS,  we went shopping for a short list of specific guns.  We hit every one in a 100 mile radius.  Most shops and guy behind the counter were clueless.   They had nothing in the way of cowboy guns and were reluctant to talk about ordering anything.  One local shop I've done business with for many years tried to sale me a Ruger 2245 for CAS because it was a great target pistol and he had it. 

We have found a couple of great gunshops that often have cowboy guns. One will order anything for his price plus $25.  He backordered a second Taylor's Smoke Wagon Deluxe for me.  He even took an old safe queen in on trade.  

Well I'm sure the Walmart salesperson is far from clueless:lol:

Non-Cowboy guns in this instance. I definitely buy cowboy guns either used on the WIRE, Outdoors Trader, or from the likes of SASS gun dealers such as Taylors, BFAC, Cimmaron,  or small cowboy gunsmiths/gun shops. I try to support the cause.  One thing I am always certain to do is if I buy it " with action job" of no known provenance, I pay my gunsmith to go through it before I even fire it. Ship it straight to him and tell him to take a peak, do whats needed. Pay th eman and don't ask questions.

Ok, done ramblin'. Back to Wal-Mart, I'm looking around for youth/ladies model bolt rifle for the wife ( and the 8 y/o to occasionally use), the price is hard to beat without the hassle of shipping and such from Gunbroker, Gunprime, Guns America, Kentucky Gun Co, or anywheres else .....but they only stocked 243 and 223. We were wanting one in 7-08 or 308. They said they could get'em if they had them in their book, but I needed the manufacturers model number. I have the manufacturers numbers. Just wondering if anyone special ordered anything from them, and if they had a smooth transaction.

I wondered if Sam Walton raised hell about folks  ordering through the Sears Roebuck catalog rather than walk into his Ben Franklin franchise. 

:D

A buddy of mine special ordered a Remington 1187 for duck hunting through Wallie World.  He had no problems and the process went without a hitch.  Remember choices are limited at WM.  Personally I am a  big supporter of the local shop.  I appreciate genuine customer service, good conversation and a free cup of coffee.  Worth the extra few dollars.

1 hour ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

Buy your guns where you want to.  It's a free country.  If the LGS has a good deal, great, buy it there.  If their prices aren't competitive then I'm going somewhere that offers a better price. If that's Wally world or Gunbroker so be it.

I agree. Some folks can afford and justify paying an extra fifty or hundred bucks and some can't. I've noticed in the past that finding a good deal is definitely frowned on by a lot of people here.

3 hours ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

Buy your guns where you want to.  It's a free country.  If the LGS has a good deal, great, buy it there.  If their prices aren't competitive then I'm going somewhere that offers a better price. If that's Wally world or Gunbroker so be it.

It's a free country??

Really??

Didn't know that:lol:

3 hours ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

The list of things you don’t know is probably quite long.

Ah now, yer just still mad... About the fact that i KNOW that taking the lever safety out of a 73 isn't smart...

When i meet ya in person we can compare intellectual capacity.

:lol::lol:

Just now, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Ah now, yer just still mad... About the fact that i KNOW that taking the lever safety out of a 73 isn't smart...

When i meet ya in person we can compare intellectual capacity.

:lol::lol:

I think the list of things you know that aren’t so is probably almost as long as the list of things you don’t know.

I’m particular about the company I keep so it’s unlikely we’ll be doing any meeting or comparing. I would rather have a root canal or take my MIL to a match.

6 minutes ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

I think the list of things you know that aren’t so is probably almost as long as the list of things you don’t know.

I’m particular about the company I keep so it’s unlikely we’ll be doing any meeting or comparing. I would rather have a root canal or take my MIL to a match.

Ah now, don't be bitter like your PM.

Enjoy your MIL...or... Whatever:lol:

21 minutes ago, Goody, SASS #26190 said:

Hey Phantom, did you move off to Colorado without returning my copy of "How to Win Friends and Influence People"?

Heyya Goody!!

I've got too many friends already... You were my last one:o

Phantom

No, no, and no...

The only thing gun related I buy from Wally is my shotgun shells. $5.50 a box for the 1oz 2 3/4 dram eq estate. LGS sells the same for $7.50 a box. $2 difference doesn't seem like much, but when you buy 20 boxes at a time, it's $40 more from the LGS... Plus taxes...

2 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Heyya Goody!!

I've got too many friends already... You were my last one:o

Phantom

As long as you're happy, I'm happy. You visiting any of those "specialty" shops? My nephew says the gummy bears are the bomb!

5 minutes ago, Goody, SASS #26190 said:

As long as you're happy, I'm happy. You visiting any of those "specialty" shops? My nephew says the gummy bears are the bomb!

Ha!!!!

Noooooo...I'm an FFL so I don't do dat. 

You be good my friend!!!!!!

Phantom

Well, I admit it, I am cheap. I only buy guns that I find the best bargain I can get on them.

Therefore, I only by guns at gun shows, pawns shops, cowboy shoots, the sass wire, gunbroker.com, auctions, flea markets (when I was in Alabama), friends (Yes, I have 1 or 2 maybe) and anywhere else I can find them.

I have not bought a brand new gun since I gave up my FFL years ago and if I was to buy a brand new gun, I would get it where I can find the best deal.

That being said, I would most likely start with a couple of the cowboys I know that have FFL's.

On 5/29/2019 at 9:38 AM, High Spade Mikey Wilson said:

I wouldn't even consider buying a gun from Wal-Mart much less special order one from them. Sorry but I'm of the opinion that when it comes to firearms I'd rather pay a few bucks more and support my local gun shop where I know I'll get 100% product support, and customer appreciation from them. Just my honest opinion.....

And yet I have bought 4 guns from a LGS and the gentleman doesn’t acknowledge my past patronage!  So it can go both ways. I used to have a favorite shop in Miami, 5 minutes away from my employer, and I would give them a chance every time to match the price I was getting. They have yet to match , but I used them for transfers as at $25 a transfer, they were the cheapest. 

Nimble, is that all you have purchased from that LGS, 4 guns? I not only purchase my firearms from my LSG, I also buy all of my reloading supplies from them as well plus have all of my gunsmith work done there also.  It also doesn't hurt that they are SASS affiliated and cater to the cowboy action shooters.  Just lucky I guess......

3 hours ago, High Spade Mikey Wilson said:

Nimble, is that all you have purchased from that LGS, 4 guns? I not only purchase my firearms from my LSG, I also buy all of my reloading supplies from them as well plus have all of my gunsmith work done there also.  It also doesn't hurt that they are SASS affiliated and cater to the cowboy action shooters.  Just lucky I guess......

I think I have only purchased 4 from my LGS, since most of what I buy are Colts and they can be really hard to find. If I do need something new or more modern, I always ask him first and if he can get it, I ask him what's better for his profit margin, to buy from him or the ffl fee (which is $100). If it's the former then I order it. If the latter then I have it shipped to him. It's not so much about the price for me as it is about building a good relationship. With so few shops left in my area, it's nice having one that knows you, You never know what the benefit might be. For example, just today I was there for lunch and low and behold he's got a Colt in .44 special with a 44-40 cylinder that wasn't even in the case, but instead in the back awaiting my arrival. So maybe 5 guns?

8 hours ago, High Spade Mikey Wilson said:

Very few LGS in my area handle reloading supplies and powder. I think Bass has some of the supplies but I have gotten components more from private sellers and gun shows along with equipment. My last 4 guns were all rifles, new 1873 & 1866 Moriku Winchester’s, and 1917 P-17 Winchester and a 1886 Winchester from a pard on the SASS classifieds. The last pistol also from SASS pard was a Walther CCP in 9mm. My next one is either going to be a Colt King Cobra new edition and have an old model 6” barrel installed to replace the 3” one or a Winchester 1895. I would have loved to purchase the one that just sold on the Classified but I have been between “projects” and have to pay bills first. But most shops in my area like plastic pistols and AR or AK rifles. Oh and the prices are higher than retail at Shoot Straight!  

Archived