SASS Wire Forum

Hearing Protection

Ramblin Gambler

The topic of hearing protection comes up every once in a while, and every time it does, these peltor ear plugs are brought up.  The last couple times I recommended them.  Well recently I've heard that the US military sued 3m over ear plugs that look just like these so I figured it needed to be brought up again.  If these plugs are different from what was being used in the military, I haven't been able to figure out how to tell the difference.  I guess I'm going to go back to disposable foam for the time being.  I'm not sure exactly what was defective about these, but I was always having to push them back in. 

Image result for peltor 3m ear plugs

27 minutes ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

The topic of hearing protection comes up every once in a while, and every time it does, these peltor ear plugs are brought up.  The last couple times I recommended them.  Well recently I've heard that the US military sued 3m over ear plugs that look just like these so I figured it needed to be brought up again.  If these plugs are different from what was being used in the military, I haven't been able to figure out how to tell the difference.  I guess I'm going to go back to disposable foam for the time being.  I'm not sure exactly what was defective about these, but I was always having to push them back in. 

Image result for peltor 3m ear plugs

sounds like we had the same experience with them.  I'm back to my custom molded ones

I've always had problems with the one size fits all ear plugs.  Even the crushable foam plugs always pop out of my right ear.  I've tried the custom plugs and they don't work for me either.  I've been pretty much stuck with the Peltor Tacticals that fit behind your neck.  Recently came across an ad for the Walker bluetooth silencer style ear plugs.  Thought what the heck, it's just money.  Bought a pair and gave them a tryout.  I like them a lot.  They come with several size plugs so you can adjust them.  I use a standard in my left ear and a small in my right ear.  They have a soft plastic hook that hooks over your ear for extra support.  They are rechargeable and you can get several recharges from the plastic storage case without having to plug it back in again.  It did take a couple of outings to get used to them, but they work great for me, and I don't get any ringing like I do with the foam plugs.  When I ordered them through Walker's web site, they offered a LE and Military discount.  I told them I was retired LE, and they gave me the discount.

10 minutes ago, Sarge said:

I've always had problems with the one size fits all ear plugs.  Even the crushable foam plugs always pop out of my right ear.  I've tried the custom plugs and they don't work for me either.  I've been pretty much stuck with the Peltor Tacticals that fit behind your neck.  Recently came across an ad for the Walker bluetooth silencer style ear plugs.  Thought what the heck, it's just money.  Bought a pair and gave them a tryout.  I like them a lot.  They come with several size plugs so you can adjust them.  I use a standard in my left ear and a small in my right ear.  They have a soft plastic hook that hooks over your ear for extra support.  They are rechargeable and you can get several recharges from the plastic storage case without having to plug it back in again.  It did take a couple of outings to get used to them, but they work great for me, and I don't get any ringing like I do with the foam plugs.  When I ordered them through Walker's web site, they offered a LE and Military discount.  I told them I was retired LE, and they gave me the discount.

Bluetooth? Can you listen to music etc..

14 hours ago, Chili Pepper Kid, SASS #60463 said:

Bluetooth? Can you listen to music etc..

Yes you can. I was looking into them and that feature is one of the upgrades from the previous model. I'm still on the fence about them with the $299 price tag. 

Back in the '60's and early '70's, I used things called Lee Sonic Ear Valves. They had a piston which was supposed to close when subjected to the blast from a gunshot. Problem was...THEY DIDN'T WORK!  Valve didn't close fast enough.  By the time I figured out they didn't work, I had suffered severe hearing loss in my left ear (the one that gets the muzzle blast from a highpower rifle fired by a right-handed shooter.  By that time, Lee was out of business, so I couldn't sue them! :angry:  When the custom-fitted plugs became available, I switched to them...while behind the firing line at CAS matches. When I step up to the firing line, I don a pair of over-the-top-of-my-head muffs. That is in addition to the plugs! I also carry some foam plugs if I'm going to a concert with loud music.  How do I fit the muffs over a cowboy hat?  I don't!  My persona is a cavalry officer, so I wear a kepi, which the muffs fit just fine. ^_^  Oh, BTW, you will still get some noise conduction through your skull bones.  Aside from removing you HEAD, not much you can do about that! :rolleyes:

I thought it was the impulse dampening that might have been defective because I never noticed a difference no matter which way they were inserted. 

Thanks for the tip trailrider, I'll leave my head in the truck (with the AC on, of course) next weekend.  I don't need it anyway since I learned to shoot outlaw. 

Everyone need to look at the review that says thay last only 4 hous. Will not last a full match.I have some that go around your neck and you pull out the ear plugs to use.Thay are rechargble and are exposed to laast 12 hous and i can onley get about 6 hour before thay go dead. Not long enuf for a full match.

The plugs mentioned in the first post work by using the small orifice theory.  Essentially the sound waves can’t fit through a small hole once they get big enough.  Ie the air becomes too viscous and can’t be pushed through the hole.  There is a good paper on how they work along with test data from explosive testing. 

They do reduce sound, but the amount of reduction varies depending on the sound level.  Even at maximum attenuation they do NOT offer enough protection for shooting sports.  Fine for a hunter who does 1 shot, but not enough for 100’s or 1000’s a shooter is exposed to in a day at the range.  

For best protection use plugs with muffs over the top.  That gives about 45-50db of protection.  Use electronic muff to help bring back the ability to hear line commands. Plugs alone top out around 30 dB and with the skill most people use for insertion they only provide about 15 dB of protection.  

When I was still in the Army, my primary hearing protection was a peltor headset - on some ranges, I would wear foamies AND peltors.

I dont think I EVER has a set of rubber flanged army earplugs that worked worth a crap.  Foamies always worked better for me.

Sure buying one pair of rubber flanged plugs might be cheaper in the long run, but I always got better results with foam ear plugs.   I can get a couple of hundred pairs of foamies for 20-30 bucks and all things considered, a box of foamies is harder to loose than a set of rubber reusable plugs.

I dont have a set of peltors that "fit" under a cowboy hat and since most of the loads being shot are low-pressure pistol loads and low power shotgun shells, my primary hearing protection now is a set of foamies unless I am shooting high-powered rifles or shooting at an indoor range.  Then, it's right back to peltors AND foamies.

• 3 months later...
On 5/28/2019 at 5:55 PM, Hells Comin said:

Don't tell anyone. 

Too late, I use them and they work very well. :D

The new type used are good. Three different sizes. Med is standard. 

Ear Plugs Nrr 24 Impulse Battleplugs Meduim

by Moldex

around $19 with case and cord.

24 db is not a great level of protection for heavy shooting.  Look for plugs that give at least 30 when inserted properly.  Then INSERT THEM PROPERLY.  Some ear canals are crooked enough that you have to pull up and back on your outer ear while inserting the plug, whether solid or foam.  If you don't immediately notice how quiet things got, you didn't get them put in right.

Good luck, GJ

growing up i never used anything - only after working environments changed that i found them , anything is better than nothing but always use the best you can find , we only have one set - im lucky mine still work after all those years of neglect , i do think the ambulance chasing lawyers have a part to play in many of these discussions , but im not going to say they are wrong in their efforts , 

there was a time when pencil erasers and cigarette filters were available - they helped , just sayin , 

Peltor tactical earplugs model TEP-100 are fantastic.  I had the walker game ears, and they’re not even close to being as well made or as functional as the Peltor.  The Peltors have a weather resistant case that takes batteries, and those batteries recharge the tactical plugs. They have two levels of amplification so you can easily hear range commands.  They’re very comfortable and they stay in place.  $300 is kind of steep, but they do work very well.

On 9/13/2019 at 10:38 AM, Grass Range said:

At one time I saw a muff set that came around the back of your head instead of over the top so you could wear them with a hat. Anyone know if such a pair of muffs being made now?

I have a set of those (the peltor optime linked above), but they didn't help.  They were no different than standard ear muffs with the band rotated around to the back.  For me, the muffs themselves are too big.  The hat just sits on top of them and any breeze or sudden movement will knock it off.  I chalk it up to my head shape though, so good luck, I hope they do the trick for you. 

I purchased some Peltor electronic ear plugs. With the optional foam inserts they are rated at 30 DB. They are comfortable and last for a day long match with no issues. Come with a fitted hard case that allows for recharge. Amazon has them for less than 150.00. During prime specials this summer they were reduced to 115.00. 

They are lime green for industrial use , color may seem strange but it sure helps to find them.

8 hours ago, Grass Range said:

Thanks that does not ssound like what I would want. I wear a baseball cap so I can get my muffs on

Oh I thought you meant cowboy hat. In that case I recommend not getting those that go around the back of your neck because you pick up a scratching noise from the metal bar rubbing on your clothes.  Just stick with standard muffs. 

15 hours ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

Oh I thought you meant cowboy hat. In that case I recommend not getting those that go around the back of your neck because you pick up a scratching noise from the metal bar rubbing on your clothes.  Just stick with standard muffs. 

What I mean is I now wear a baseball cap so I can wear the muffs and the earplugs. I will try one of the behind the head models listed here

14 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

In my grave I would not wear that hat

Archived