SASS Wire Forum

45 LC and 38 Spec Pistol or Rifle Primers?

BloodyBill

In addition to The Original Lumpy Grits advice above. longer rifle primers may be too high, protruding from the pistol cartridge case. 

I have seen revolver cylinders jam because of high primers, that I suspect were rifle primer loaded in the pistol cases.

I STRONGLY urge you to buy a loading manual and study it carefully.

I would also recommend you find someone mentor your loading efforts and critique your method.

It could save you some heartache.

PLUS ONE to EVERYBODY ABOVE.

Did BUY A RELOADING MANUAL get mentioned??  Well, BUY A RELOADING MANUAL!!

The correct term is 45 Colt.  There is no 45 "Long" Colt.  Marketing ploy only.

Reproducing an exact load from a loading manual requires you to use the given componets. In our game of Gallery Round ammo, it really doesn't matter which brand as long as you gun will pop them. However, rifle primers are taller and increase the possibily of discharge in the magazine. They are also generally hotter, but that wouldn't matter much with light loads.

4 minutes ago, Snakebite said:

Reproducing an exact load from a loading manual requires you to use the given componets. In our game of Gallery Round ammo, it really doesn't matter which brand as long as you gun will pop them. However, rifle primers are taller and increase the possibily of discharge in the magazine. They are also generally hotter, but that wouldn't matter much with light loads.

Only LR primers are 'taller' than LP.

Small rifle, and small pistol are identical in size. 

OLG

Side question on primers:  sometimes the manuals specify CCI 500, others WSP, but I never see Federal 100 mentioned.

It is my understanding the Federal primers will fire even under a light touch from a hammer with a light spring kit.
The CCI 500 are reputed to be a harder case, and require a higher striking force.

Any words from the experienced hands about this?

Guest Texas jack Black SASS#9362
On 5/28/2019 at 3:11 PM, BloodyBill said:

I shoot 45 LC and 38 Spec reloads in both handguns and rifles.  Should I use Rifle primers or Pistol primers ???

And you have followed the reloading instructions in your reloading manual and you still need to ask.?

15 hours ago, bgavin said:

Side question on primers:  sometimes the manuals specify CCI 500, others WSP, but I never see Federal 100 mentioned.

It is my understanding the Federal primers will fire even under a light touch from a hammer with a light spring kit.
The CCI 500 are reputed to be a harder case, and require a higher striking force.

Light touch no, but lighter touch yes.

The difference in hardness between a CCI and a federal is pretty small though so I usually set up my guns to just pop CCIs and reload with federals so that I don't get light strikes ever.

On ‎6‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 11:13 PM, bgavin said:

Federal small pistol primers are the go to primers for competition guns (i.e. light trigger/hammer hitting action jobs) in either single or double action revolvers. Many guns are setup for Federals only. You can go too light for Federal too. For double action just need to turn the strain screw in a bit if light hits. For SASS single action it's a bit more work (change hammer spring?).  

I mentioned this in another primer thread, but I will not have a firearm that is primer specific........all of my guns will run with whatever I use.....Bugler

Archived