SASS Wire Forum

I've been experimenting again

Been at the reloading table again and loading up some 357 magnums for long range shooting. According to Hodgdon, I can easily put 19 grains of H110 powder in my case with a 158 grain bullet with a gas check. Anyone else try this? I know 17 grains gives me about 2000 fps. Using a Rossi 92 with a 24" Octagon barrel.

No need to push a bullet that hard at a CAS match. That would be a fine deer load but save the folks around you some discomfort. Try Unique, about 6 grains, same bullet. You'll be more than happy.

I have loaded 15.3gr H110 under a 160 LGCSWC and it makes a 20” Rossi shoot like a real rifle.  Haven’t chronographed them, but shoot real flat.  Loaded a bunch after being faced with 300 yard rams and main match ammo at a match last year.

interesting, but Lyman stops short of 16gr with a 155 LGCSWC...

I can easily put 19 grains of H110 powder in my case with a 158 grain bullet with a gas check. Anyone else try this? I know 17 grains gives me about 2000 fps.

I don't believe your 2000 fps with 17gr of H110. 

2400 (recommended published powder for 357 with 158gr bullet - the highest fps is 1232 fps.  Add to the equation, 2400 and H110 have comparable burn rates, 67 and 71 respectively.

So pump in the extra 2 gr of H110 if you desire because IMO you're not even going to be over 2000 fps or equal to 2000  fps with 19grs.

My opinion - Waste of Time with a velocity that has not been chronographed with 17gr of H110

Archived