SASS Wire Forum

11 degree forcing cone on omv

Bucky Buckskin

Your mileage may vary.  Do your OMVs have accuracy issues and do they tend to collect a lot of leading and crud in the forcing cone?  If yes, recutting the forcing cones to 11* may benefit you.  I don't believe there are any cons to this mod, but the pros might go unnoticed unless you are actually having issues in this area.  Like I said YMMV.

As I understand it.  The need to have an open (11 °) forcing cone is due to the variation of the end of the cylinders.  Most, if not all manufacturers cut the chambers from the recoil shield end of the cylinder.  This allows some variation at the chamber end of the cylinder.  The chamber end may or may not line up perfectly with the forcing cone by some degree.

I do know of one manufacturer that cut the chambers on his cylinders from the forcing cone end and as a result he did not have any issues with the line up and did not need the forcing cone opened up that much.  If memory serves, his were only 5°.  This was a huge benefit to anyone who shot black powder.

If you have problems with the revolvers spitting lead from the cylinder-to-barrel gap (sometimes occurs), or if your cylinder chambers are larger ID than your barrel bore (rarely occurs), you will probably benefit in the accuracy department from reaming a forcing cone.  

Doing it to fix leading in the forcing cone, which is almost always traced back to bullet alloys that are too hard for proper expansion of the bullet base, is silly (IMHO).   Just use 9 Brinell hardness bullets or so.

Doing it to try to improve accuracy is almost totally unnecessary for Cowboy main match shooting.   Recommend practicing more, instead.   If you are trying to win long range pistol side matches, and you already have good results at shooting those, then a better forcing cone might make a detectable difference.

Good luck, GJ

2 minutes ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

If you have problems with the revolvers spitting lead from the cylinder-to-barrel gap (sometimes occurs), or if your cylinder chambers are larger ID than your barrel bore (rarely occurs), you will probably benefit in the accuracy department from reaming a forcing cone.  

Doing it to fix leading in the forcing cone, which is almost always traced back to bullet alloys that are too hard for proper expansion of the bullet base, is silly (IMHO).   Just use 9 Brinell hardness bullets or so.

Good luck, GJ

We only use Bearcreek for SASS/CAS and I can assure you that the fouling was drastically reduced on my .44's.

The same is true on every other revolver that I own and re-cut to 11*

OLG

This is actually kind of a loaded question.  First and foremost, Ruger are famous for undersize cylinder throats.  Your first step is check the cylinder throats.  I never actually met a Ruger with correct throats.  Most 357 Vaquero had throats of .355 or less.  The throats should be .3575 or .358 for a .357 Bore.  Slug your bore.  You should be able to tap a .357 sized cast bullet thru your throats with a light tap from a pencil.  If the bullet sticks tight the throats need reamed out.  That will make a large noticeable difference is felt recoil and accuracy.  Then consider the forcing cone.  There is no down side to an 11 degree forcing cone of itself.  Without correct throats however, it may not have much effect.

4 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

We only use Bearcreek for SASS/CAS and I can assure you that the fouling was drastically reduced on my .44's.

And I understand Bear Creek supplies 13 Brinell slugs.  Unless you are shooting about 1100 FPS, that hard a slug gas cuts and deposits lead in forcing cone.  Cutting a more tapered forcing cone can reduce the leading, but there are certainly cheaper ways to fix that.  Again, IMHO.   And in my experience, too.  I shoot several Ruger revolvers with factory angle forcing cones, none gather lead in the forcing cones.

Good luck, GJ

I am asking this question because I have my guns out to have a action job and it is a service offered by the smith. He said to me that having the forcing cone done was up to me and I need to decide if it is right for me. I just don’t know enough about it but from what I gather it definitely has no down sides besides spending a few more dollars for the work. 

Archived