SASS Wire Forum

It Was a Long Night

DocWard

The Miami Valley area--Dayton, Ohio and the surrounding area, as well as Circleville, south of Columbus, got hit by some heavy storms last night. The storms included several confirmed large tornados. There are reports of lots of property damage, I haven't heard of any casualties as of yet, but there have been reports of people trapped. There were also very heavy rains causing flash flooding. We were in the basement until well after midnight, but seem to have made it unscathed.

There are a lot of CAS shooters and clubs in this area, and it might do to keep them in your thoughts.

https://www.npr.org/2019/05/28/727439670/multiple-tornadoes-touch-down-in-dayton-ohio-catastrophic-damage-reported?utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&fbclid=IwAR1cT3a6Ol3Wrc-7hfQekE7vLVAeo81nNzkNekleDywhW85EAAC3Ib-2MKI&fbclid=IwAR3a7ph_qRo6k5ohrpmbNN0IMkNDd9nQsuF8GUSkhvGIyHFQpjMTKiIfWmk

Doc glad to hear you are alright. Lots of news coverage on that this morning. Looks like some very devastating damage 

It was a little unnerving this morning to wake up to the news that there was a possible F4 tornado only 20 miles from me.   Sorry you had to stay in the basement so long Doc, but glad you're all right.   Please keep me posted if you hear anything about the other shooters closer to that area, I'm praying everyone came through ok

25 minutes ago, Calico Mary said:

It was a little unnerving this morning to wake up to the news that there was a possible F4 tornado only 20 miles from me.   Sorry you had to stay in the basement so long Doc, but glad you're all right.   Please keep me posted if you hear anything about the other shooters closer to that area, I'm praying everyone came through ok

If I hear anything, I'll let everyone know. Please do the same. It made for a long night, but not too bad. We never lost power, so we all just sat around on the internet. I keep most of my hobby stuff down there, so there are chairs, a desk, a worktable and more. I think I do need to double check my emergency kit down there, though. It has been awhile.

5 million people without power??? Yikes, there's only 11 million people in all of Ohio!!:o

I wonder how the Miami Valley range is?? Piqua is that area!

Pretty nasty Spring so far!

Loco Leadslinger checked in too, I would say he's ok but we all know that ain't exactly the case...let's just say he made it through the storm ok....;)

It went north and south of us. Seems common for storms to do that here. Awesome light show any direction you chose to look last night.

Kaya works for the DOT here. Busy day for them. LOTS of trees down, roads flooded, etc. And the occasional mobile home in the road.

Sorry to hear about more nasty weather.  Glad to hear folks are ok, so far.  Thoughts and prayers are with you all.  Take care.

someone has reported that Ruger Ray and Fancy Free Spirit are fine, and Blastin' Brad said him and Sew Cantina had to do the basement thing for a while but they're ok too

And Slim, you just keep yer dang Hoosier storms on YOUR side of the state line.....<_<

37 minutes ago, Calico Mary said:

someone has reported that Ruger Ray and Fancy Free Spirit are fine, and Blastin' Brad said him and Sew Cantina had to do the basement thing for a while but they're ok too

And Slim, you just keep yer dang Hoosier storms on YOUR side of the state line.....<_<

After having to put up with Ohio drivers all day it's the least I can send ya!

Batten down the hatches folks. It's a whole line of storms coming your way. Hail the size of ping pong balls a little while ago. AND IT CAME FROM ILLINOIS!

I ain't one of those drivers!  I ain't been in Indiana since last year's BP match....

and it looks like this line of storms will miss me....but Linn could be in for a rough night.....:unsure:

Up here in Northeast Ohio we haven't had anyhting but some rain. I got my fingers crossed. I live one mile from Lake Erie and the storms seem to go up and over the lake. Prayers up for all those affected!;)

I'm directly about 15 mins west of the range and all we got was one heck of a thunderstorm and more flooding.  By the look's of the field's around here the 2019 farming season will be canceled.  Report's today confirmed one casualty in Celina, an 81 year old man's car blew through his house, he was asleep.  Very sad.  Hope everyone weathered it ok and this weather straighten's up soon.

if that is the case, food is gonna be getting real expensive, after what already happened earlier in Nebraska and Iowa....we're running short of farm land not having any problems.....:blink:

10 hours ago, Calico Mary said:

if that is the case, food is gonna be getting real expensive, after what already happened earlier in Nebraska and Iowa....we're running short of farm land not having any problems.....:blink:

So far this spring Iv'e seen a total of three field's in my area being planted,  sure there's a few more but i'm bettin not many.

There are some low lying fields around here that have egrets in them because they have so much standing water. I know a few farmers that have gotten some fields planted, but not nearly as much as they want. I haven't heard any actively panicking just yet, but I believe they are worried. I don't recall it, but evidently 2011 was incredibly wet as well, and they managed. On the bright side, evidently the morel mushrooms are a bumper crop.

Tornado warnings were surprisingly widespread.

I have Perry County's weather warnings on the iPad beside my bed (it's one of three alarm clocks.  I work a rotating shift and need all the help I can get!)

When the tornado alarm went off -- sounds like an air raid siren -- I came off the bunk like I'd been clap boarded across the backside!

Family south and east of Dayton are safe, an old squad partner in Circleville reported the twister passed over his building but he experienced the same nausea as is induced by the FBI's super low frequency nonlethal sonic weaponry.  Other than the unpleasant experience, he is fine, his building undamaged, but other structures weren't so lucky.

When I ran a water plant back in Athens County, I had to have written contingencies for all kind of possibilities, and contractual agreements with neighboring water providers and other suppliers of safe drinking water.

I had a local dairy agreeing to put up drinking water in milk cartons if need be.

Lucky enough I never had to put any of these into place.

I knew about such things, Salt Fork rangers told me about responding to Xenia and seeing men with cans of beer in the BDU pockets -- Anheuser-Busch was putting up drinking water in the only containers they had, they were beer cans -- I see where Miller-Coors is sending beer cans of safe drinking water to SW Ohio now, but theirs are marked WATER.

Another severe storm alert, another one rolled through, another one gone ... why do I feel like Wile E Coyote holding up that little bitty umbrella, knowing full well most of a mountain is on its way down?

Archived