SASS Wire Forum

Nickel Plated Pietta with black eagle (Colt like) grips?

Warden Callaway

We went in a Cabelas in Owatanna,  Minnesota last week to check out their used gun rack.   But did take a look at their new guns. A nickel plated Pietta with black eagle (Colt like) grips caught my eye.  I asked the salesman to get it out and he did but it had a stupid lock over the trigger guard and he wouldn't take it off.  I soon seen it had the transfer bar action. Just put it back...

Anyway,  it peaked my interest.  I can't find an equivalent Pietta nickel plated model with black eagle like grips and Colt style action.  The Cimarron web site is too convoluted to know what model is what.  I don't see on on the EMF Pietta web site. 

Anyone with more experience with the Pietta product line may be able to help me figure out if there is a model in that configuration available. 

Are you sure it was nickel and not stainless? I am not aware of any pietta currently being produced in nickel. 

As for cimarron, it’s actually very easy to tell if it’s s pietta or uberti. The model number is MPxxxx fir uberti and PPxxxx for pietta. When last I spoke with someone from cimarron, I was told that any gun they offer can be had in any of their custom finishes, for a price. For a price. 

11 minutes ago, El Hombre Sin Nombre said:

Are you sure it was nickel and not stainless? I am not aware of any pietta currently being produced in nickel. 

As for cimarron, it’s actually very easy to tell if it’s s pietta or uberti. The model number is MPxxxx fir uberti and PPxxxx for pietta. When last I spoke with someone from cimarron, I was told that any gun they offer can be had in any of their custom finishes, for a price. For a price. 

The Cabela's website says nickel.  The one in the store said nickel.

https://www.cabelas.com/product/F-LLI-PIETTA-SINGLE-ACTION-REVOLVER/1887308.uts?slotId=3

Next to last on the widespread.  "Nickel Plated, SA73-1132/BEA"

17 minutes ago, Marshal Chance Morgun said:

Owatanna,  Minnesota! Please tell me that you shot at Cedar alley while you were there.

Nope.  Didn't have it on my list of things to do.  We were making a desperate run to hunt morel mushrooms.   Our youngest son lives in Greenfield west of Minneapolis.   He's a avid outdoorsman.   He had several big patches of morel mushrooms spotted and needed my help picking them.  We returned on Friday with a sack full.  :rolleyes: 

1 hour ago, Warden Callaway said:

The Cabela's website says nickel.  The one in the store said nickel.

https://www.cabelas.com/product/F-LLI-PIETTA-SINGLE-ACTION-REVOLVER/1887308.uts?slotId=3

Next to last on the widespread.  "Nickel Plated, SA73-1132/BEA"

That is interesting. It says they are a special run celebrating 50 years of partnership. It’s very hopeful to me, as I have been trying to acquire a nickel pietta for some time. Thanks 

Note the low price, as compared to a nickled Uberti.  This may be a case of getting what you pay for.  I think Pietta's budget nickle guns are not so hot, based on what I've heard.

I picked up a "Pistolero" last year at the local Sportsman's Whse. 

Cimarron, Pietta, "Exxxxx" S/N, nickel-plated, (but it has one-piece wood grips.)

No transfer bar
Mfg. code for 2018

I am a big customer at Cabelas and saw these a few years ago. Looked good and the price was great. My brother, another pard and I each bought a set. Had to have them shipped from a store several states away to get them as our local cabelas would not carry them due to odd local law requiring all handguns to be stamped with a model name or number. My brother and I sold ours within a few months as the quality was in line with the price. My pard  coudnt  sell his as the transfer bar broke in one and no replacement parts can be found. These are apparently a special run for cabelas.  My recommendation is to steer clear unless your looking for some realllly low cost/quality entry guns.

MK

1 hour ago, Montague Kid said:

I am a big customer at Cabelas and saw these a few years ago. Looked good and the price was great. My brother, another pard and I each bought a set. Had to have them shipped from a store several states away to get them as our local cabelas would not carry them due to odd local law requiring all handguns to be stamped with a model name or number. My brother and I sold ours within a few months as the quality was in line with the price. My pard  coudnt  sell his as the transfer bar broke in one and no replacement parts can be found. These are apparently a special run for cabelas.  My recommendation is to steer clear unless your looking for some realllly low cost/quality entry guns.

MK

3 hours ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

Note the low price, as compared to a nickled Uberti.  This may be a case of getting what you pay for.  I think Pietta's budget nickle guns are not so hot, based on what I've heard.

2 hours ago, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

I picked up a "Pistolero" last year at the local Sportsman's Whse. 

Cimarron, Pietta, "Exxxxx" S/N, nickel-plated, (but it has one-piece wood grips.)

No transfer bar
Mfg. code for 2018

I just liked the combination of Pietta, 5.5 nickel and black Colt like grips. Whip me, beat me, call me Helen,  but I wouldn't have bought this one with transfer bar. 

I see the Pistolero on Cimarron website but it only list (best I can tell) a 4-3/4".  And has wood grips. 

2125286310_MinnesotamorelsMay2019.jpg.a733253e4331270235d05fd840f736fd.jpg

Son and morning haul of Minnesota morels.

Warden,

My main match pistols (and identical back-ups) are Piettas from Cabelas.  Both pair were under $400 each.  They did come with transfer bars, but our local cowboy gunsmith had no problem remedying that problem.  I've used the first pair for 3 years with no problems.  According to my gunsmith, my last pair that he did, a few months ago, were some of the nicest Colt clones he has ever worked on.  

If you wind up with a pair from Cabelas and have trouble finding a good gunsmith to remove the transfer bars, please PM me and I will give you my guy's contact info. 

1 hour ago, TN Mongo, SASS #61450 said:

Warden,

My main match pistols (and identical back-ups) are Piettas from Cabelas.  Both pair were under $400 each.  They did come with transfer bars, but our local cowboy gunsmith had no problem remedying that problem.  I've used the first pair for 3 years with no problems.  According to my gunsmith, my last pair that he did, a few months ago, were some of the nicest Colt clones he has ever worked on.  

If you wind up with a pair from Cabelas and have trouble finding a good gunsmith to remove the transfer bars, please PM me and I will give you my guy's contact info. 

I figured that it was possible to do a transfer bar delete like a Ruger. But by the time I paid someone to do the job, I have as much in them as buying ones made right to start with. 

Owatonna,MN!  I haven’t been up there since 1985 when I went up to install a new accounting/computer system at Modern Metals Mfg a subsidiary of the company I worked for in Chicago!  Great people, great fishing and that is the first and only Cabela’s I have ever visited. They have great Renaissance festivals too!  Thanks for the memories. 

Warden,

It wasn't that bad, price wise, plus he short stroked the first set.  The already short stroked versions for Taylors and Cimarron were much more expensive.  

3 hours ago, Nimble Fingers SASS# 25439 said:

Owatonna,MN!  I haven’t been up there since 1985 when I went up to install a new accounting/computer system at Modern Metals Mfg a subsidiary of the company I worked for in Chicago!  Great people, great fishing and that is the first and only Cabela’s I have ever visited. They have great Renaissance festivals too!  Thanks for the memories. 

I bet Owatanna has changed a lot since 1985!  

We were passing through on our way to son's house west of Minneapolis.  

TN Mongo,  I'm tempted to get one and do a DIY transfer delete job on it.  (I have a neighbor with TIG welder and knows how to use it.)

Does the action otherwise work like a Colt?  That is,  half cock load notch? Does it have a removable cylinder bushing? 

I found this video on the gun that shows it well.  One thing that sticks out is how far forward the trigger sets. Almost to the center of the trigger bow.  The trigger bow itself looks small and almost round instead of an oval. 

9 hours ago, levi littleton said:

Bunch of the fancy Piettas are nickel.  MY 7.5" TR is nickel as are others from Cimarron.    Heck a bargain.

Oh my god. You are absolutely right. I completely forgot about those. I love the TR pistol. That's one of my favorite. Plus I have a pietta nickel cattlebrand sitting in my safe. How soon we forget what we have, and I really don't have all that much.

48 minutes ago, El Hombre Sin Nombre said:

Oh my god. You are absolutely right. I completely forgot about those. I love the TR pistol. That's one of my favorite. Plus I have a pietta nickel cattlebrand sitting in my safe. How soon we forget what we have, and I really don't have all that much.

Oh please!  Tell your wife  that story, but here among friends?  "I really don't have all that much?"   Come on Hombre...you can do better with mi amigos..   :rolleyes:

1 minute ago, levi littleton said:

Oh please!  Tell your wife  that story, but here among friends?  "I really don't have all that much?"   Come on Hombre...you can do better with mi amigos..   :rolleyes:

It's all relative. Speaking of relatives, my pops has something like 100 times what i've got. And much nicer stuff too

Archived