SASS Wire Forum

Boulder Bigger Than a House Destroys Colorado Hwy.

Sedalia Dave

Update: Crew blasts boulder blocking Colorado 145

The boulder on the highway was estimated to be 48 feet long, 18 feet wide and 18 feet high. It weighs about 2.3 million pounds, according to Schwantes. The other boulder crossed the highway and “blew out an eight-foot trench.” It was estimated to be 50 feet long, 50 feet wide and 26 feet high and weigh 8.5 million pounds.

This about 5 miles from my homeplace. Been watching and speculating for years on when this particular set of boulders would come down. Not unusual for rockslides on that section of Hwy 145, just the size of the boulders.

38 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

I think they should leave it there and rebuild the road around it.  It would likely be easier and might be less costly, and it's a great novelty like I've never seen before.

I was thinking the same thing.

2 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

I think they should leave it there and rebuild the road around it.  It would likely be easier and might be less costly, and it's a great novelty like I've never seen before.

If you saw the way people drive on that road you’d reconsider. :lol::unsure: 

I remember years ago my wife and I were in Sacramento about to head for Tahoe and and Reno when a snowstorm hit. The6 club see the highway. So we meandered around over the wine country. Then a second storm hit and the road was closed again. We went south a ways and did some sightseeing. Then back to Sac as the storm abated. Got ready to head over the mountains next  morning when I turned on the tv in the motel room. A boulder the size of the Jefferson Memorial had crashed down on the Interstate, blocking it again. We were out of vacation time so we flew back home. 

They had to blow that one up too.

We never had any boulder problems when we lived in Florida. :lol:

Now, picture a meteor that size whapping into the Earth at a speed of almost ten miles per second....   :blink:

On 5/27/2019 at 9:56 AM, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Easier to just have Acme use some of that tunnel paint.

5 minutes ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

Easier to just have Acme use some of that tunnel paint.

Bingo!! :lol:

Archived