SASS Wire Forum

Wearing Holsters

John E.B. Rawton

The handbook reads.

“Main match holsters must be located one on each side of the belly button and separated by at least the width of two fists at the belt.“

I imagine this as two strong side or two crossdraw or maybe a strong side and a crossdraw. 

Obviously one can not have two right/left holsters on the same side. But what about a left hand strong side and a right hand crossdraw?

both holsters are on the left side of the buckle but drawn with different hands. 

And then, if it is not a main match or category, would holster placement be an issue?

9 minutes ago, John E.B. Rawton said:

The handbook reads.

“Main match holsters must be located one on each side of the belly button and separated by at least the width of two fists at the belt.“

I imagine this as two strong side or two crossdraw or maybe a strong side and a crossdraw.  Correct.

Obviously one can not have two right/left holsters on the same side.

But what about a left hand strong side and a right hand crossdraw?  Left Hand Stong Side and a Cross Draw on the other side of the belly button is fine.

both holsters are on the left side of the buckle but drawn with different hands.  No

And then, if it is not a main match or category, would holster placement be an issue?  Yes

Good grief!  If folks applied ½ the ingenuity they spend on ways to gain an advantage, that "transporter" from "Star Trek" would already be in production!

9 hours ago, John E.B. Rawton said:

The handbook reads.

I imagine this as two strong side or two crossdraw or maybe a strong side and a crossdraw. 

Obviously one can not have two right/left holsters on the same side. But what about a left hand strong side and a right hand crossdraw?

both holsters are on the left side of the buckle but drawn with different hands. 

And then, if it is not a main match or category, would holster placement be an issue?

X = holster (any type)

* = belly button

X * X = OK

XX * = NOT OK

* XX = NOT OK

1 hour ago, Griff said:

Good grief!  If folks applied ½ the ingenuity they spend on ways to gain an advantage, 

? Advantage? Don’t see any advantage over any other holster position. 

My point was “main match”.

If I was not shooting a main match or let’s say shooting JWS which is not even a sass category, would it apply,

to which the question posed was answered.

Thanks.  

1 hour ago, John E.B. Rawton said:

? Advantage? Don’t see any advantage over any other holster position. 

My point was “main match”.

If I was not shooting a main match or let’s say shooting JWS which is not even a sass category, would it apply,

to which the question posed was answered.

Thanks.  

Since Josey Wales is not an official category, it would be up to the club. Using Pale Wolf’s example, I have seen it like this

XX*XX

4 hours ago, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

X = holster (any type)

* = belly button

X * X = OK

XX * = NOT OK

* XX = NOT OK

But what about:

* X *

:D:D

10 minutes ago, Tennessee williams said:

Exactly how much of that crossdraw pistol can be past the bellybutton? None,Handle, hammer, half the cylinder?

Rules don’t say anything about the gun, it’s the holster that’s important :D

Technically, *XX could be okay if the second X was treated like the bb was between the two holsters.  A 225 degree dance would likely be required.

Still looking for the advantages....

33 minutes ago, Tom Bullweed said:

Technically, *XX could be okay if the second X was treated like the bb was between the two holsters.  A 225 degree dance would likely be required.

Still looking for the advantages....

Not looking for advantages. My game is not about speed or an edge over the other cowboys. I like thinking about style points since my only competition is me. I figure the longer I take to shoot a stage the more fun I have. I like 6-8 minute matches myself. 

On 5/27/2019 at 6:05 AM, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

X = holster (any type)

* = belly button

X * X = OK

XX * = NOT OK

* XX = NOT OK

* = belly button...Is this for inny belly button or outty belly button???  Just wondering...

Texas Lizard

2 belly buttons = 

X*XX*X

These days you probably can have your belly button moved to the right or left of center. Can you wear  3 holsters but only use any 2 at a time? 

43 minutes ago, Hells Comin said:

. Can you wear  3 holsters but only use any 2 at a time? 

NO.

"...one on each side..."

2 sides (L & R) = 2 holsters

I think two holster on one side would get you negative style points. :lol:

1 minute ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

...and a two-stage limit per match.

19 minutes ago, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

NO.

"...one on each side..."

2 sides (L & R) = 2 holsters

When that rule was introduced, Gunzilla had to stop wearing this rig:

Gunzilla1.JPG

1 hour ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

Gunzilla1.JPG

Not sure why. He could still wear the rig he would just have to only carry 2 main match pistols. He could put pocket pistols in the other set of holsters. 

Pg. 3 SHB

- Main match holsters must be located one on each side of the belly button and separated by at least the width of two fists at the belt. (Note: Pocket pistol and derringer holsters are not “main match” holsters)

Same thing would apply to the OP. He could have 2 holsters on one side but only 1 of which could carry a main match revolver. Just a pain at the unloading table having to pull ALL that iron out to show clear. 

3 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

It is only about where the pistols are drawn from. Style is in the eye of the beholder. 

56D3002F-0C43-4925-A971-3616176B8795.jpeg

REVOLVERS

Revolver Requirements

.  No more than two main match revolvers may be carried to the firing line.

SHB p.38

Your questions have been addressed regarding the application of SASS rules.

"Optional" (non-SASS) category regs may vary significantly as they are up to the MD/club offering those categories.

I would suggest seeking additional information from those sources.

6 hours ago, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

SHB p.38

Your questions have been addressed regarding the application of SASS rules.

"Optional" (non-SASS) category regs may vary significantly as they are up to the MD/club offering those categories.

I would suggest seeking additional information from those sources.

Agreed! i got my answer way back when. Appreciate the replies and humor. Thanks. 

10 hours ago, Turkey Flats Jack said:

Not sure why. He could still wear the rig he would just have to only carry 2 main match pistols. He could put pocket pistols in the other set of holsters. 

Pg. 3 SHB

But as he's not allowed to use the shells from those "bandoleers" he would also need an additional shotgun belt, .... or sliders, ......  or his pockets full of shells :D

12 hours ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

Gunzilla1.JPG

If you  look close you can see two pocket pistols holstered right above the large conchos. Looks like he is carrying a total of 6 pistols and a shotgun.

7 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

If you  look close you can see two pocket pistols holstered right above the large conchos. Looks like he is carrying a total of 6 pistols and a shotgun.

well dang I missed those lol

Archived