SASS Wire Forum

Long range side match with 73’

Croc Holiday

So I wanted to shoot a long range side match at the upcoming state match and signed up thinking I’d work something out.  All I have currently is my 73 in .357/.38 main match rifle with stock sight.  Curious how well it worked at distance, I took it to the range with some of my cowboy loads.  I’m glad I didn’t have any real expectations of success.  It was sad haha.  

So my question...  match is next week so getting a peep site and sighting it by then isn’t really doable.  Am I buggered or is there a way to make my rifle work as is?  I currently shoot .38.  Would a higher power load in .357 work without damaging my rifle?  Are there store bought rounds I can get that work for distance?  Should I make a sign “Need long range rifle” and stand at the range entrance?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Not sure what range will be for sure but it’ll be no more than 100 yards.  Yes, I think it’s the tang sight (mounts on stock and is adjustable).

Pistol caliber rifle long range side match usually does not go out farther than 100 yards. Is that what you are talking about? If so just shoot some factory Cowboy loads and aim a little high at the 100 yard target. Most PC Rifle side matches I have seen are timed and have 25, 50, 75, 100 yard targets. I shoot them with my regular .45 rifle and usually win or place near the top. It is just a matter of how fast you can get on target and knowing where your rifle shoots.

I was just sitting on the back porch thinking of this very subject... I was watching re-runs of Longmier last night wondering how he was making such a long shot with a saddle gun.

The short of the long is that that gun was made for a purpose. Long range rifles have another purpose. Their tasks are not interchangeable.

The sights are too big. When you can see the traget past your front sight you can't see what your trying to hit.

The barrels are too short. Movement of the barrel has a greater error ratio. You can't use the amount of slow burning powder you need in a short bbl.

If it were me, I'd just shoot the match with what I have. You have no time to fix a new or your old gun. Consider it a handicap and just go have some fun. If you actually hit anything you may be the talk of the town. Get the biggest bullets you can find. A slower burning powder than you normally use. And work up a round to use that does not max out at .357 specs.

You may have a trajectory of an M-79 grenade launcher, and you won't win the Cadillac, but you can have a good time of it. I bet you'll get a lot of good advise from those at the range for next time...

I’ll have fun no matter what.  So I’m good there :D.  

I have no idea what to expect.  Match description so far is “long range match”.  Not sure if it’s pistol caliber or not.  I assumed not.  I do know the max distance at the range is 100 yards (they’re working on a longer range but it’s not done) so I was going for worst case.  I hope it’s the multi distance thing described.  I’d do alright for half of it at least haha.  

I should note...  I don’t load yet.  I have someone who may let me use their loader if I have a specific load but not sure they can before the match.  I know what I have is terrible at 100 yards so my easiest option is store bought ammo.  I had some 158 gr HSM cowboy rounds left over that I tried.  They weren’t much better than the 125 gr cowboy rounds I use.  Anything from Sportsman’s WH they’d recommend?

56 minutes ago, Half Deaf Hoss Deveraux said:

Not sure what range will be for sure but it’ll be no more than 100 yards.  Yes, I think it’s the tang sight (mounts on stock and is adjustable).

Does not mount to the stock. Mounts to the rear of the rec'r tang.

If 100 yds is all-Then load up some .357 mag cases with some 158gn lead bullets pushing them to around 1400-1500fps, will get'er done.

Try your barrel sights first........

OLG

Are jacketed rounds allowed for long range?  I wouldn’t think so  but it would open up what I can get from a store.

14 minutes ago, Half Deaf Hoss Deveraux said:

Are jacketed rounds allowed for long range?  I wouldn’t think so  but it would open up what I can get from a store.

No.

Have you read the shooters handbook at all?

https://www.sassnet.com/Downloads/Shooters Handbook Vers 23.2 MASTER COPY.pdf

OLG

2 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

No.

Have you read the shooters handbook at all?

OLG

I didn’t know if side match is allowed to mod that rule like they do to higher fps for range.  That’s why i said “I wouldn’t think so.”  Just looking for options.

The original Grumpy Gritz…..Maybe some more coffee is in order for you on this fine Sunday morn

Half Deaf....Good that you asked the question here, rather than showin up with rounds you can't use. That said, Grumpy Gritz makes a valid point, as most of the answers are in the handbook. You'll probably need to read it several times... I as sure as hell have and probably will for years to come

Rather than asking here, where responses can be more aligned with what THEIR club allows, ask YOUR Match Director.   He may require SASS legal pistol caliber ammo in said long range.    Especially if targets are closer in than 75-100 yards.  High velocity pistol ammo can pose a hazard to non hardened targets... and things like gas-checks can be a hazard to spectators, shooters & staff when launched @ high velocity at close-in targets.  Don't assume.

I've seen where even long range rifle caliber ammo must be within SASS rules.  Don't assume. 

2 hours ago, Fast Freddy said:

The original Grumpy Gritz…..Maybe some more coffee is in order for you on this fine Sunday morn

Really-Why so? BTW, I always have a cup or 2 in the morn. -_-

The OP ask'd a question. I answered that question, and provided a link for the OP to reference to.

I will counter your 'suggestion' with--maybe you should clean your glasses..........:lol:

OLG

Griff - I have been trying to find out.  I asked one of the organizers at the match yesterday what to expect.  He’s not the director and hadn’t heard.  Nobody knows yet.

Sounds like there may be more variables than I anticipated.  I’m new and have zero idea what to expect.  Well...  I expect to do crappy at 100 yards but that’s it haha.

Ah well, I’ll just wing it.

Hoss, when my son shot his Rossi 92 .357 at our long rang match(100 yards) he did quite well using 158gr bullets in 38 special cases moving about 900 FPS. I don't remember him changing the rear site, just aimed at the top of the targets. 

53 minutes ago, Half Deaf Hoss Deveraux said:

Griff - I have been trying to find out.  I asked one of the organizers at the match yesterday what to expect.  He’s not the director and hadn’t heard.  Nobody knows yet.

Sounds like there may be more variables than I anticipated.  I’m new and have zero idea what to expect.  Well...  I expect to do crappy at 100 yards but that’s it haha.

Ah well, I’ll just wing it.

Go out and get sight settings for 50-75-100 yds, and make note of the sight settings.

OLG

I've won pistol caliber rifle matches with factory stock sights on my gun.

Know where your load hits, and practice your marksmanship.

Any reloading manual load will be safe in your .357 magnum rifle.

Good luck, GJ

I’d buy a box or two of factory cowboy Ammo in 357(if your rifle is chambered in 357 factory cowboy rounds will not hurt it any) 158 grn’s Would be better than 120 grn Bullets in my opinion. I’d do as suggested above and range in at 50, 75, and 100 yards and maybe keep going a bit for the fun of it and record what both the rear sight was in when you were in the ball park at each range.

i would also like to say that my wife’s Winchester 73 (miroku) in 357 is a very accurate rifle and an absolute joy to shoot. 

Archived