SASS Wire Forum

Load Data For a Percussion Pistol

Diablo Blanco

My pardner gave me a muzzleloader pistol and I don't have any experience with blackpowder. It's a Jukar from Spain if that helps, believe it's .45 caliber as the .440 lead balls I've got roll right down the tube but don't rattle around. If I patch them and load them over 25 grains of FFFG equivalent pyrodex should I be okay? Any advice that keeps me from losing an eye would be greatly appreciated!

20190524_150743.jpg

I have no experience with the Jukar.

Assuming there are no flaws in the barrel, 25 grains of FFFg is about half the charge of a .44-40 cartridge so it would be a mild load for the caliber.

I would touch off the first few shots at a distance with a string on the trigger to be sure.

The old timers were said to lay a white sheet on the ground in front of the muzzle.  If they found unburned powder grains on the sheet they would reduce the charge.  Never tried it myself as I am not interested in maximum loads, but it’s a thought.

Clean promptly and thoroughly after using Pyrodex.  You may find real blackpowder ignites more easily because it has a lower ignition temperature.  Sometimes you can get a “pop-bang” delay using Pyrodex in a percussion gun.

Pard;

I only use Goex 3F or other Brands of Real Black Powder.....

But your suggested load will be safe , if the gun is not damaged in some way ...

Jabez Cowboy

6 hours ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

The old timers were said to lay a white sheet on the ground in front of the muzzle.  If they found unburned powder grains on the sheet they would reduce the charge.  Never tried it myself as I am not interested in maximum loads, but it’s a thought.

That's very interesting, I'm not interesting in chasing the maximum load just yet, just the most accurate one. But that might be good to know someday!

4 hours ago, Jabez Cowboy,SASS # 50129 said:

Pard;

I only use Goex 3F or other Brands of Real Black Powder.....

But your suggested load will be safe , if the gun is not damaged in some way ...

Jabez Cowboy

I'll definitely be trying the real thing eventually, but my buddy included the pyrodex so I figured I'll shoot it up first.  

1st... lose the Pyrodex... a fouler product has seldom been foisted off on consumers.

2nd... Buy Lyman's Black Powder Handbook.   You'll be amazed at how few questions you'll then have.  

First make sure it is not loaded. Take the ramrod and drop it down the barrel. It should reach to the hole where the nipple is attached or very close. Take the nipple out and give it a thorough cleaning. Make sure there are no obstructions in the barrel. If you shine a light in the hole where the nipple was you should be able to see it by looking in the end of the barrel.

I would also not use Pyrodex in a percussion pistol. I shoot around 70 lbs of real BP a year in everything from flinters to LR cartridge rifles.

kR

PLUS ONE to GRIFF

also

PLUS ONE to Kid Rich

Pyrodex is a RUSTING agent that just happens to burn.  The only use for the stuff I can think of is lawn fertilizer.  Spread it thin.  Splurge a few extra bucks and find some real BP or APP.  Did I happen to mention ... Pyrodex SUCKS!!.  If I didn't mention that Pyrodex SUCKS, I apologize and allow me to mention ... Pyrodex SUCKS.

3 hours ago, Griff said:

1st... lose the Pyrodex... a fouler product has seldom been foisted off on consumers.

I quit Pyrodex due to the corrosiveness, but still have a couple hundred .44 Russians loaded with the stuff. I shot 60 of 'em at a match Saturday, and... damn, what a mess to clean up at the end of the day - far worse than real black or any other sub.

If I patch them and load them over 25 grains of FFFG equivalent pyrodex should I be okay?

20-35 will be just fine, but the manufacturer's recommendation is likely around 20.

I was given a similar jukar but never fired it yet. Too busy with cap guns. 

Would like to get a round to it someday. 

E9EB1F55-270E-444F-8FBC-8D876852955D.jpeg

Took it out for a test run, .440 balls over 25 grains of pyrodex yielded the group seen here offhand at 10 meters. First time shooting a muzzleloader, loved it.

Retro Range Time.jpg

Percussion Pistol Group.jpg

On 5/26/2019 at 4:48 PM, Griff said:

On 5/26/2019 at 5:01 PM, Kid Rich said:

...I would also not use Pyrodex in a percussion pistol.,,

What they said, times ten.

Archived