SASS Wire Forum

Anybody want to talk about loading 223 on a Dillon 550?

Having trouble in stations 2 & 3 keeping the case to stand upright.  If not perfect in station 2 I spill powder all over everywhere.  If not perfect in station 3 I wreck/bend the case mouth & destroy bullets.  Station 4 shell stands perfect. Using correct shell plate and pins.  Other than being a bad re-loader what is my problem?

We will talk about priming on the 550 another time.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Marlin

How did you confirm that you have the correct headspace of the sized case. Hope you have a gauge to confirm HS.

Snug the shell holder down to where it just barely turns freely, with no up down play.

.223 on a D/550 is easy-Been load'n that round on mine for 32+ years.

I only load boat tail bullets-No flat base.

OLG

Give the inside of the case mouth a good chamfer.  Un-chamfered brass will snag a flat based bullet most of the time and a boat tail occasionally.

Duffield

On 5/26/2019 at 7:58 AM, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Snug the shell holder down to where it just barely turns freely, with no up down play.

OLG

3 hours ago, Cowboy Junky said:

I'm going with the floor plate too loose too. I have loaded a lot of 5.56 on mine and had no issues at all so it's an adjustment issue for sure.

+1. Cases should not wobble. I've loaded boatloads of .556/.223 with none of those issues at all...

Make sure the set-screw on the primer slide that holds the primer seating 'stem' is fully seated and 'tite'.

If you are loading mil-spec cases-You'll have to chamfer the primer pocket to remove the crimp ring.

OLG

Archived