SASS Wire Forum

Remembering

My friend Jim Gribben. Cpt, 5th Special Forces Group. KIA on March 17, 1970 leading a Mike Force battalion.

I was serving with the 1st Cav a few provinces over at the time. A wonderful guy and great leader. :FlagAm:

https://army.togetherweserved.com/army/servlet/tws.webapp.WebApp?cmd=SBVTimeLine&type=Person&ID=50811

88FB437E-853F-48A1-8D19-DB7798EA84CD.jpeg

My heart hurts today.

And George Parounagian, John Rohr, Frank Mc Nutt, Martin Beck, Terry Ketter, Louis  Geneseo .....and others whose faces are fresh but names have faded.

Heroes who gave all for America. Never forgotten.

May they rest in peace and honored glory.

:(

Quite a day for survivor’s guilt.

I'm not sure whether it was running in the 5K two weeks ago that honored the memory of Nick Rozanski, who was killed at the same time as my friend Shawn Hannon, seeing old friends there, and discussing it all, or just the natural leanings of the weekend, but Shawn has popped into my thoughts a number of times over the past few days. 

I remember as a little kid sitting in my Grandmother’s living room listening to my Great Uncles and family members discussing World War Two and the Korean War and the names of the people that they knew that didn’t “come back”.

I remember my Uncle Tom and his friends leaving for Vietnam and only my Uncle Tom coming home. I remember the newspaper articles and the nightly TV death tolls. I remember the weekly newspaper column that listed the Greene County PA wounded, prisoners of war and deaths. There weren’t a lot, but Greene County is a little dinky county In SW Pennsylvania. There didn’t have to be a lot to make a huge impact. Three or four names a week was a pretty big deal.

I remember my Uncle Tom dying when I was 14. He was 32. He had a “double heart attack”. A couple of years later I remember my Dad talking about Agent Orange an going to VA hospitals to talk with staff about whether or not Agent Orange May have played a part in my uncle’s death.

I remember. :FlagAm:

Archived