SASS Wire Forum

How far do you know the multiplication tables?

Alpo

In the book it's early 1897. The girl is thinking about math, and says, "I knew my multiplication tables to 20 x 20, like everyone else...".

20 x 20? I was taught to 12 x 12. If it's higher than that I can FIGURE IT - for example, 14 x 18. That's the same as 9 x 28, which is 180 + 72, 252. But I don't KNOW IT. Anything up to 12 x 12 I KNOW. I memorized it. Higher than that and I have to think about it.

I wonder if they even teach the multiplication tables any more?

I learned 'em in the fourth grade. How 'bout y'all?

Second grade. It wasn’t taught in the second grade, I picked up someone else’s multiplication tables card and learned it.

Downside, third or fourth grade was soooooo boring., but I was out sick for five weeks and eventually happy that everyone else caught up to me.

I knew them up to 25x25 in engineering college, it came in handy on some quiz questions,  but haven’t tested myself in years.  I’ll get back to you, especially if I do well!  :D

I only recall learning up to the 9’s.

Multiplication tables bored me and for some reason I just could not memorize them. I was that kid that always got the question “Quick, shat’s 7 times 8?” And then I would get the “look of disdain” from Mrs Lively and then she would move on to the next kid. I really disliked that woman. I wonder if I wouldn’t learn the “Times Tables” just to irk her.

I was a weird kid...

I learned up to 12 X 12, I can figure out easy ones above that like 20 X 16 etc. but when it comes to for ex: 17 X 43, I use the old 17 over 43, or the calculator!! :lol:

_______

_________

= 731

20 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I learned up to 12 X 12, I can figure out easy ones above that like 20 X 16 etc. but when it comes to for ex: 17 X 43, I use the old 17 over 43, or the calculator!! :lol:

_______

_________

= 731

didn't show what you carried, going to have to dock you a few points overall--;)

51 minutes ago, Cheyenne Ranger, 48747L said:

didn't show what you carried, going to have to dock you a few points overall--;)

Oh...was this a test???:lol: 

I carried in my head:P

I remember a kid when I was in grade school that learned to use a slide rule because he said he could not remember his multiplication tables. 

I learned later how to use a slide rule in physics class. 

The example above with 17 X 43 I tried with the top slide rule in picture and with my older eyes I got close with 730 but it was just a tad over the line and that is where it is handy to be able to extrapolate. When I was in the Navy's nuclear power school it would get me close enough for government work.

IMG_0850.JPG

2 hours ago, J. Mark Flint #31954 LIFE said:

Astronauts went to the moon and didn't forget them, so I am going with 239,000 miles- 

Hopefully they made a round trip, so that would be 239,000, TIMES TWO. Raspberry.gif.ad3f0d217b1035c1c2f15a127229df20.gif

On ‎5‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 10:55 PM, Dustin Checotah said:

I remember a kid when I was in grade school that learned to use a slide rule because he said he could not remember his multiplication tables. 

I learned later how to use a slide rule in physics class. 

The example above with 17 X 43 I tried with the top slide rule in picture and with my older eyes I got close with 730 but it was just a tad over the line and that is where it is handy to be able to extrapolate. When I was in the Navy's nuclear power school it would get me close enough for government work.

IMG_0850.JPG

My younger daughter tutors a bunch of high school students in math, science and English. I was over to her house one day, and brought one of my slide rules to show the kids. They had never seen one!  Showed them roughly how to work it, but they preferred using the calculators on their I-phones or laptops.  I asked what they would do if the power failed or their batteries ran out.  They just sort of looked at me...like what planet did you come down from?

Yes, I learned up to 12 x 12.  Pocket calculator is handy for higher and more complicated.  Otherwise, I resort to a pencil and paper.  Anybody remember how to do long division, or square-roots longhand? :wacko:

C

A

L

C

U

L

A

T

O

R

Archived