SASS Wire Forum

Looking for a book

Alpo

This is a book (maybe a series) featuring a veterinarian named Dr. Bone. Google is no help. It wants to either give me a tv show, or REAL doctors named Bone.

This book(s) should be from the 60s or earlier.

In The Number of the Beast, Heinlein had a machine that would allow you to go to other universes. Fictional universes. They went to Barsoom, they went to Camelot, they went to Pellucidar, they went to Oz.

In To Sail Beyond the Sunset, Pixel the cat was severely damaged, so they put him in the deep freeze, while they fetched Dr. Bone from another universe to fix him.

I didn't recognize Dr. Bone's name, and wondered if anyone knew where he (she?) was from?

Is Dr. Bone in The Cat?

The Cat is the prequel to To Sail. At the end of The Cat is where Pixel is severely damaged. But I'm reading them out of sequence, and haven't read The Cat in at least ten years.

I actually thought Dr. Bone would be someone from Oz, but according to the Oz character list, he's not.

That's undoubtedly him. The interuniverse society conference was, if my memory is working, at the tail end of Number of the Beast.

Of the five Lazarus Long books, Number is #3, but in this rereading I started with Time Enough for Love (#2) and then skipped down to Sail (#5).

Thanks Pat.

15 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Alpo, click this and scroll down to Jesse F. Bone.

http://www.heinleinsociety.org/concordance/books/nb_hc.htm

Is this what you are looking for?

Apparently this is a “concordance” site for Heinlein books.

Just finished Sail. At the end of it there is a list of everyone mentioned in the book. And we find this:

Jesse F. Bone, DVM--he saved a kitten

Archived