SASS Wire Forum

Nachos? What is your minimum?

I am not asking about your “people are coming, let’s go shopping recipe.” It needs ten or more ingredients 

It’s 9pm, your favorite show will be on soon, you feel like some nachos. What is your minimum requirement? Chips and cheese? Salsa? What else?

Corn chips, can of re-fried beans, can of diced tomatoes and grated cheese.

Heat the beans and tomatoes in a saucepan and melt cheese of choice on the corn chips in the microwave (30 seconds).

You can add salsa to the beans if you want more flavor.

Put sour cream and avocado on top if you have it.

Cheese, pickled jalapeños, salsa, sliced avocados or guacamole and sour cream.

Heat the refrieds, dump into bowl, top with shredded cheese, salsa, sour cream or greek yogurt, and sliced scallions.  If I have avocados on hand they go over the salsa and under the sour cream.  Serve with chips. *

*I HATE putting down chips, then dumping the stuff on top.  Chips get soggy and, towards the end, all you have are soggy chips with almost nothing on them.  More like a layed dip than "Nachos."  

Kind of amazing how they have evolved from simple fried tortilla chips, individually topped with cheese, then heated, and a slice of pickled jalapeno added, to the gloppy mess we have today.

1 hour ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Heat the refrieds, dump into bowl, top with shredded cheese, salsa, sour cream or greek yogurt, and sliced scallions.  If I have avocados on hand they go over the salsa and under the sour cream.  Serve with chips. *

*I HATE putting down chips, then dumping the stuff on top.  Chips get soggy and, towards the end, all you have are soggy chips with almost nothing on them.  More like a layed dip than "Nachos."  

Kind of amazing how they have evolved from simple fried tortilla chips, individually topped with cheese, then heated, and a slice of pickled jalapeno added, to the gloppy mess we have today.

YES!!  I used to point that out fairly often , but most of the people I pointed that fact out to didn't care , so I've pretty much given up on it. I liked the original version way better than what passes for nachos now days.

Rex :D

10 minutes ago, Rex M Rugers #6621 said:

YES!!  I used to point that out fairly often , but most of the people I pointed that fact out to didn't care , so I've pretty much given up on it. I liked the original version way better than what passes for nachos now days.

Rex :D

If you look at restaurant or ballpark nachos you get a huge mound of chips, cost maybe 25¢, and maybe a cup total of the cheese and other toppings, cost maybe 50¢, all for the low, low price of $7.50 (or more).

3 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

If you look at restaurant or ballpark nachos you get a huge mound of chips, cost maybe 25¢, and maybe a cup total of the cheese and other toppings, cost maybe 50¢, all for the low, low price of $7.50 (or more).

$7.50?  At the ballpark?  That IS cheap.  I think they're $7.95 at the movie theater.

For me it's chips, lots of cheese and lots of jalapenos.  

Angus

36 minutes ago, Black Angus McPherson said:

$7.50?  At the ballpark?  That IS cheap.  I think they're $7.95 at the movie theater.

For me it's chips, lots of cheese and lots of jalapenos.  

Angus

No idea,  really.   A couple of restaurants around here have simple nachos for 7 or 8 bucks.  I haven't been to a ballpark in ages. 

Archived