SASS Wire Forum

Interesting Protective Gear

Subdeacon Joe

1 hour ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

I have one of those helmets but not with the face protector whatzit sewn on below.

Probably worth in the $4-600 range, depending on condition. I missed out on buying one foe $125 years ago. Been kicking myself ever since.

5 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Probably worth in the $4-600 range, depending on condition. I missed out on buying one foe $125 years ago. Been kicking myself ever since.

This will kill you:  I got mine in 1959 from an old man who thought I'd like to have it.  His son brought it back from France when he was mustered out of the Army in 1920.  The old gent was an international chess player with a dozen or more games going on by mail all over the world.  (He taught me to play chess but I was never very good at it.)

He was crippled up and I spent that winter shoveling his walks so people could get in and out.  I never asked him for anything, but the next March he gave me the helmet and a German rifle for my birthday.  It wasn't a 98, but older and used by what he called "home guard cadre".   I don't think I ever knew exactly what it was and I have no idea what became of that old rifle, but I still have the helmet.

I guess I should dig it out and put it some good use, like a decoration in my den.  I haven't seen it since we moved here 4 1/2 years ago, but it's "in a box in the garage", and I even remember which box.

Archived