SASS Wire Forum

Comparing Shot Timers

Max Payne

I have significant hearing loss, which causes me challenges when practicing alone.

I used a Pact Timer for years, but I can't hear the buzzer either on the table or the belt. I then bought a ShotMaxx II wrist timer. I have to hold it close to my ear in order to hear it, & I have to pull my hearing protection out some. Really not too good for the limited hearing that I have left.

I saw that Competition Electronics came out with the Pro Shot Timer 4 Super, which they tout as having the loudest buzzer at 105db. I don't know the db's of the others, so I don't really have a frame of reference. I did see it has an output jack that I may be able to use to activate a light when I practice. Also, I notice that PACT now has a PACT III, & the description says the buzzer is much louder.

I'm leaning towards getting the new Pro shot Timer 4 Super, depending on the feedback I get from this forum. I also saw that it is much larger than the others, which really isn't a big deal when practicing alone.

All experienced feedback will be appreciated.

Competition Timers are my pick, we’ve used the Pact at our club for a long time but when the speaker/buzzer goes bad they just want to buy a new, basically if anything happens they want you to buy a new one, If Pact gets wet forget it, the Competition ones dry out and are fine.

Also reviewing splits, par, changing settings ,menus I’ll take Competition 2 any day. 

Competition Timers have really treated my club right.

AO

1 hour ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

I prefer Pact.

Frequency is more important then db's in my opinion.

Phantom

ME thinks your opinion is correct.   I learned that from 4 separate Audiology test from the VA.

105db won't mean crap to my ears if the frequency is one of those I seem to  be immune to..... ;)

But, my guess is the freqs used in our Timers are good enough because I can detect most 'Beeps'

if the timer is within a couple inches of my ear.

Max:  When I did a couple videos on shooting the SG, I had to clip the timer on my shirt collar in order

to react to the beep.   Its something you might want to consider.

..........Widder

7 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

ME thinks your opinion is correct.   I learned that from 4 separate Audiology test from the VA.

105db won't mean crap to my ears if the frequency is one of those I seem to  be immune to..... ;)

But, my guess is the freqs used in our Timers are good enough because I can detect most 'Beeps'

if the timer is within a couple inches of my ear.

Max:  When I did a couple videos on shooting the SG, I had to clip the timer on my shirt collar in order

to react to the beep.   Its something you might want to consider.

..........Widder

I'm very sensitive to certain frequencies as I have Profound hearing loss in the high frequency zone. Moderate to sever everywhere else. 

Born with bad ears:(

Phantom

PS: But grateful for what I've got;)

I have an old Competition Electronics that treated me well.  But I really  like the CED7000 shown in Dillon"s Blue Press.   The ones I have  heard have a shrill , high pitch whistle that MY ears react to.  Plus it is small enough to fit in your shirt pocket but believe they had an armband.       GW

2 hours ago, Max Payne said:

I have significant hearing loss, which causes me challenges when practicing alone.

I used a Pact Timer for years, but I can't hear the buzzer either on the table or the belt. I then bought a ShotMaxx II wrist timer. I have to hold it close to my ear in order to hear it, & I have to pull my hearing protection out some. Really not too good for the limited hearing that I have left.

I saw that Competition Electronics came out with the Pro Shot Timer 4 Super, which they tout as having the loudest buzzer at 105db. I don't know the db's of the others, so I don't really have a frame of reference. I did see it has an output jack that I may be able to use to activate a light when I practice. Also, I notice that PACT now has a PACT III, & the description says the buzzer is much louder.

I'm leaning towards getting the new Pro shot Timer 4 Super, depending on the feedback I get from this forum. I also saw that it is much larger than the others, which really isn't a big deal when practicing alone.

All experienced feedback will be appreciated.

I’ m a little like you Max and I don’t know if it’s frequency or db’s but I can’t hear a Pact nearly as good as I can hear my Pocket Pro.

Randy

I wish more stages would allow the shooter to start himself; timer on the table, or in the TO’s hand, shooter’s finger on the button.  The “TO” could pick up the timer and follow the shooter when he moves to a new position. I don’t like being touched/tapped/whatever if I am having trouble hearing the beep.  Why not let me start myself?  Is it really that important to start with my hands on my hat?

7 minutes ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

I wish more stages would allow the shooter to start himself; timer on the table, or in the TO’s hand, shooter’s finger on the button.  The “TO” could pick up the timer and follow the shooter when he moves to a new position. I don’t like being touched/tapped/whatever if I am having trouble hearing the beep.  Why not let me start myself?  Is it really that important to start with my hands on my hat?

I  have used this method for side matches to control the starting position.  Prevents creeping and other questionable starting positions.   GW

I just tell the person timing me to just stick it right to my ear. God bless our old ears. Waaa, Haw.

Our posses, here around the Ottawa area, in Canada, seem to use a lot of R U Ready Speed Timer 3000's, (they're readily available

Problems seem to develop with them when the warmer weather hits and they go wonky, losing times, shutting down etc.

We try to keep a couple of spares in the shade or in a cooler.

Anybody else with the problem?

How did you solve it?

Other timers that stand up better in the heat?

Got some more info:   I talked to the tech at Comp Electronics. The beeper in the new Super is the same one they use in the Pocket Pro. It does have an option module that lets you drive a horn (Comp Elec has these), but the horn needs a separate 12 v source to drive it. I think the module can drive a light, so an LED of some sort should work. I noticed Randy said he can hear the Pocket Pro better then a Pact, so I'll pay more attention to one of these next time & see if it works better for me. For now, my ShotMaxx II wrist timer works well for 1st shot & total time. It get confused on which split goes with which shot, so it's some help on splits, but not right on the money. There are lots of settings, such as sensitivity, & I have experimented a lot, but haven't been able to get it perfect. I sent it back once when the display stopped working & so they either fixed it or sent a new one. Can't tell which. If I wear the Shotmaxx upside down on my wrist so the speaker is toward my ear, & if I always start hands on hat, it works well enough to get the job done.

My real problem is that I have to pull my hearing protection out a little to hear the beep (even in matches), & I'm afraid the increased noise from shooting is making my left ear hearing worse. I have a Cochlear on my right, so I'm completely off the air with that one.

Thanks for all the feedback. When I get too old & feeble to keep shooting cowboy, I'll get the Cochlear implant in my left ear also. My Cochlear works much better for conversation than my hearing aid.

You can mod a pocket pro to have a headphone jack:

If you do this, you can just plug it into a set of basic electronic muffs that have a line in jack.  Like you said it's for practicing on your own time so it doesn't matter how it looks.

And I think one of CED's high end timers may have a headphone jack.

I think you should just stop practicing gamer!:D

Problem solved!:wub:

I don't having hearing issue and if I'm not mistaken the "new" PACT timers are louder and higher pitched than the old ones. Mine is so loud if I use it to dry fire I have to put a foam ear plug in it to prevent hearing damage...…...lol. We have the Pocket pro and pocket pro II's at the club and the are much less of a "tool" IMO but they work fine for a match. 

Junky is correct, the older PACT units had a different frequency and a little lower volume.

I much prefer the way PACT timers work, where the buttons are and that they work on release.  My only wish is that they were more temperature tolerant.

But since we have hearing problems that are frequency sensitive, getting the right freq is as important as higher volume.  And that becomes a personal issue due to the individuals hearing loss.  You may want to ask your doctor what frequencies work best for you and go from there.

Max Payne, 

I contacted Pact for the info on dB output of the Shot Timer III. 

Pierce @ Tech Support said:

“It runs a little over 100db. The improvement for most shooters in the lower frequency.”

It took a while to get the answer. Hope this helps.

CJC

On 5/29/2019 at 7:42 AM, Jackaroo, # 29989 said:

I think you should just stop practicing gamer!:D

Problem solved!:wub:

Oh! I'm the gamer, right? Purly & I have started calling each other "Jackaroo" when we know some BS is being pulled.

1 hour ago, Max Payne said:

Oh! I'm the gamer, right? Purly & I have started calling each other "Jackaroo" when we know some BS is being pulled.

Thats right. 

:D:o I think them things are called 'earing aids, can you get them in Georgia?:wub:

See ya soon, we fly out Monday.

We're still using the brass horns that you put to your ears in Georgia.

• 2 weeks later...

The dog collar is probably a good idea. Especially for Purly.

Archived