SASS Wire Forum

RV question re: solar and inverter....

Grizzly Dave

For those who have an RV with solar and an inverter, what do you use the inverter for?

Obviously any 110 ac appliances, but in actual use, how much and which ones do you use it for?

I'd like to get solar on my camper, but a decent inverter seems to cost dang near as much as the solar set up, and other than the TV to watch a movie now and then, I don't know that I'd use it enough to justify the cost, especially as I can get a 12v dc TV....

What is your experience?

I sold my RV and now have a small travel trailer without an inverter. When I had the RV I would run the microwave oven, toaster and TV/VCR on the inverter. When my wife was along and we were boondocking she’d use it for her hair curlers or curling iron. Hope this helps. 

Griz

Might be easier to decide what appliances you want to use powered by your solar system.Then you can configure your system according to your needs.

IMHO the limiting factor(other than cost) will probably be the space available for bigger or extra batteries.

Choctaw Jack 

Thanks guys.

I was using the RV term loosely as I have a small travel trailer.

I don't drink coffee or curl or blow dry my hair, and if I want to use the microwave or AC I'll fire up the generator.

Right now if I want to watch a movie I have to fire up the generator, which powers the TV and tops off the batteries.

My hope is to power normal DC stuff, along with a DC TV with a fairly modest solar setup and also to keep the batteries topped off.  

Then just use the generator to power the AC and or microwave when I want them.

I don't have the space, or deep enough pockets for a solar system and huge battery bank capable of running those two, and if the only thing I would use AC for currently, it seems to make more sense to get a DC TV than a much more costly inverter.

2 hours ago, Grizzly Dave said:

Thanks guys.

I was using the RV term loosely as I have a small travel trailer.

I don't drink coffee or curl or blow dry my hair, and if I want to use the microwave or AC I'll fire up the generator.

Right now if I want to watch a movie I have to fire up the generator, which powers the TV and tops off the batteries.

My hope is to power normal DC stuff, along with a DC TV with a fairly modest solar setup and also to keep the batteries topped off.  

Then just use the generator to power the AC and or microwave when I want them.

I don't have the space, or deep enough pockets for a solar system and huge battery bank capable of running those two, and if the only thing I would use AC for currently, it seems to make more sense to get a DC TV than a much more costly inverter.

That’s what I did in my little trailer. My little Honda generator works out very well for 99% of my needs. I never watch TV when I’m camping at matches, to busy with other stuff and my IPad will suffice for movies if I get bored. I read a lot too and that doesn’t draw much current from the trailer batteries, all of the lighting is LED.

1 hour ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Solar panels are very nice to have on a RV. ;)

OLG

Yep, had em on my RV but haven’t needed solar bad enough to spring for it on the Casita, someday maybe.

13 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

Yep, had em on my RV but haven’t needed solar bad enough to spring for it on the Casita, someday maybe.

I like coming back to the RV after a full day of jeep'n or shoot'n and the batteries are fully charged, all without run'n the gennys.

OLG

4 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

I like coming back to the RV after a full day of jeep'n or shoot'n and the batteries are fully charged, all without run'n the gennys.

OLG

That's why I want solar on my camper right there.

7 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

OLG

Yeah so do I but I don’t mind running the generator. Someday I’ll add solar.

I think the inverter would be more important for a Motorhome.  If you wanted to drive and have a set of plugs for the TV or say an electric fridge you can run those going down the road without a generator.

thats the only time I ever used it....unless dry camping I would run it all night for the residential fridge than run generator to charge back up next day.

Griz, in my opinion, the solar is worth its weight in gold. I've got a single 130 watt panel and Blue Sky controller, and with good sun, my four golf cart batteries are full by noon. Never have to plug the rig in prior to going on a trip, batteries are always full. The only trade off is that you have to check your battery water at least monthly because your batteries are always charging. I  had a 600 watt inverter for the last 9 years. It powered my TV, DVD player and various computer and phone and electric razor chargers with no problem. But it wouldn't make a full pot of coffee. I just this week replaced it with a 1000 watt and I'm finally happy. No reason you can't be happy too. PM me and I'll get my old one in the mail to you. It's a Magnum Energy MM600 with remote control.

We just added solar to our 5th wheel last weekend. Went to Maybelle last weekend to shoot pictures of wild horses and will be trying it out in the boonies in July. Right now just making sure all works. Most expensive part was the batteries as we went with the Lithium Ion type (two of the things), 3000 watt pure sine wave inverter to run Sharon's computer for her photography stuff. Don't recall the panel output off the top of my head but think about 190 watts? Runs the microwave just fine (haven't checked the coffee pot yet) but will be using the twin Honda 2000's for the A/C until I get a better feel for what works and what doesn't. Biggest reason for the solar is Sharon has troubles loading/unloading the Honda units and she has plans for solo camping or girlfriend camping now that she is retired. (two more years for me)

All the best

:FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

Harbor Freight has a 20%off coupon effective this weekend.You can build a basic solar system pretty cheap.(got no vested interest in the company, just passing on info).Their solar panels have gotten good reviews,and their kits are affordable.

Archived