SASS Wire Forum

What you reckon?

Alpo

The woman was born in 1882. In 1916 she's telling someone, "My father fought in the War of '98, and the Insurrection".

That would be Spanish American and the War of 1861?

Kansas was Yankee, right? That's why Quantrill burned Lawrenceburg?

43 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Lincoln was sending troops into SC.  Sounds like an invasion.  

Troops were already in S.C. And, probably every other Southern state, since they were all in the Union at the start.  

4T is speaking of who fired first, and I believe that would be PGT Beauregard taking aim at his former US Military Academy instructor Robert Anderson inside Ft Sumter.

I believe Steel Eyed Steve is correct, as to the Span Am War and the following Philippine Insurrection. Otherwise, if it was the Civil War being described as the "Insurrection" it would have been first in her description of her father's service.

5 hours ago, Steel-eye Steve SASS #40674 said:

and the Philippine Insurrection. 

Couple chapters later we find her father was born in 1852.

I guess the Philippine is correct.

15 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Lincoln was sending troops into SC.  Sounds like an invasion.  

Okay, we have a lot of troops in California.  If California put together troops of its own and fired on Camp Pendleton it would NOT be an invasion if the Marines wiped up those rebels.

Your argument doesn't hold water.

California is not part of another country.

South Carolina was part of another country - the Confederate States of America. And even though the CSA had tried, through diplomacy, to get the USA to withdraw their troops from CSA soil, Lincoln didn't do it. There for the CSA attacked an invading foreign army.

Your comparison of California and South Carolina is like comparing apples and oranges. If you wish to compare apples to apples, compare the United States rebelling against England in 1776 with the Confederate States rebelling against the United States in 1861. That is the same thing. The only difference is that the South lost the Second American Revolution.

Kansas is a separate country, it's in the way of Missouri going to Colorado for vacation in the mountains.

Archived