SASS Wire Forum

Dan Wesson 1911: got an opinion?

I'm looking to buy a new 1911, preferably a Dan Wesson in 10mm.

Right now, I'm looking at a 5" Silverback or a 6" Bruin.

Anyone have any experience with DW and their 1911 pistols?

Thanks

..........Widder

In my limited experience, DW offers the best non-custom made 1911 currently on the market.  Higher quality and better fit and finish then the current run of Colt and Kimber 1911s.  I also like how DW stayed true to the JM Browning design and opted to not add a firing pin safety like almost every other 1911 currently being produced.

What July Smith said.

The nominal price increase for a DW you'll pay over a Colt, Kimber, at al is money well spent. 

From what I've seen I'd say they are almost on par with Les Baer 1911s. 

Aside from the caliber I can't see any of these over-priced 1911 variations being able to do anything my Rock Island Arms 1911 can't do as well and for around $400.00.  Springfield is as good, but costs more.  Still inexpensive, but a bit more.

Of course if you're willing to pay for bragging rights, then.........!?

Own a DW PM-38. It has been a great pistol. Significantly better than a RIA 38 Super I tried. Better fit, better finish, better trigger, better ergonomics, and more accurate. But it cost almost 3x as much so I would expect all that. 

2 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Aside from the caliber I can't see any of these over-priced 1911 variations being able to do anything my Rock Island Arms 1911 can't do as well and for around $400.00.  Springfield is as good, but costs more.  Still inexpensive, but a bit more.

Of course if you're willing to pay for bragging rights, then.........!?

It's like comparing a $16,000 Ford Focus to an $80,000 BMW X-Series. Either one will get you to the grocery store and back if that's all you're trying to do. But if you could have either one for free, which one would you choose?

My DW Valkyrie Commander is the most accurate 9mm I own.

We have a nationally recognized 1911 gunsmith here, builds $5k+ IPSC race guns.

Took it to him to see if there was anything it needed and his final verdict was that it is built equally good as he can do.

21 hours ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

It's like comparing a $16,000 Ford Focus to an $80,000 BMW X-Series. Either one will get you to the grocery store and back if that's all you're trying to do. But if you could have either one for free, which one would you choose?

I'd take the focus, but I'd really rather have a better Toyota Tacoma.  Mine's sorta shop worn and shabby.

When I was still into cars I'd have gone for an Xk-120 or 140, an Austin Healy 100-6 or 3000, a TR-3, an MGA of any model, a Datsun 1600 or 2000 Fairlady roadster, or 240Z, a Lotus Eleven LeMans version, or a whole herd of others for fun cars, and a Chevy, Ford, or Dodge sedan for everyday family stuff.  Except for the Lotus I had one or more of each of the others.

Nope.  No experience.  No Opinion.  No help.  AND .... I didn't stay in a Holiday Inn Express.  I still have a 1911 though.  It's a Kimber.  I really like Springfield Armory (had 3).  Liked my AMT Hardballer (had 2).

I don't know much about Dan Wesson but kimber and sig are excellent and out do a colt hands down but they do not feel the same nor shoot as good as a wilson.  The rock island often have sights that I can't see anymore but otherwise seem fine, just have not fired one

20 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

I'd take the focus, but I'd really rather have a better Toyota Tacoma.  Mine's sorta shop worn and shabby.

When I was still into cars I'd have gone for an Xk-120 or 140, an Austin Healy 100-6 or 3000, a TR-3, an MGA of any model, a Datsun 1600 or 2000 Fairlady roadster, or 240Z, a Lotus Eleven LeMans version, or a whole herd of others for fun cars, and a Chevy, Ford, or Dodge sedan for everyday family stuff.  Except for the Lotus I had one or more of each of the others.

Well, to use a slightly better automotive analogy, consider you have your choice between a Datsun 510 and a BMW 2002, or to be fair from an engine displacement perspective, a BMW 1600. Both are great little cars in their own right, and are wonderful enthusiast cars. The BMW cost a bit more new, and the materials, fit, finish, ride quality and more were reflected in that price. The BMW was intended to be a "compact executive car," the 510 one of the early economy cars out of Japan. You will have a ton of fun in either one, but off the show room floor, one held a distinct edge in quality.

While I've never owned a Dan Wesson, I've examined plenty and have been around 1911s all my life (starting at age 10!). They are among the best-built guns in their price range... not as snazzy as a Wilson but definitely better assembled and made of better parts than any Kimber or Springfield. If I were interested in modern-style 1911s one would be inside my safe. Alas I only like classic 1911s, and Colt is the best maker of those even though IMHO they can't build a decent modern one to save their life.

Good info Pards..... Thanks.

At present, my 10mm possessions are the EAA Witness Compact and the SIG P220 ELITE.

The EAA is roughly 3.5" and the SIG is 5".

I plan to get a Dan Wesson 10mm 'Bruin' in 6" soon and compare Chronograph/accuracy testing with it to the EAA and SIG.

The Bruin is a 1911 and I would really like a top notch  1911 in 6" 10mm.

At present, I have an opportunity to get a Dan Wesson 'Silverback',  5" in 10mm but don't think

my banker (Bunkhouse Boss)  can handle me getting 2 of them in a short period of time..... ;)

Again, thanks for the info.

..........Widder

Archived