SASS Wire Forum

Jefferson City Mo

Noz

They got the snot kicked out of them by a tornado last.  Lots of people hurting and hunting for shelter.

Warden Callaway and his Owl Creek Raiders are close to Jeff City.  Here’s hoping they are all OK and they check in soon.

That’s awful. My heart goes out to them.

Having lost a home to a fire when I was in high school,  I can say that it’s such a devastating sickening feeling when you lose everything. I was hoping to read that no lives were lost but that is not the case. Three people lost their lives.

You would think that with today’s technology that “we” would have better forecasting but tornadoes just cannot be accurately predicted and adequate warnings just can’t be gotten out in time to save lives and minimize injuries.

Prayers up.

I don't know where RED KNEE lives, exactly, but he sent me an email pic of a twisty

estimated about 2 miles from his house.   He was taking the picture from his 'Safe Room'.

No, it wasn't his gun safe room but rather a specific room built into his house for such an

occasion.   That 'Twisty'  looked darn big and mean.

..........Widder

I had to go through Joplin right after, only a few days after the bad one that went through there!!

I’ve seen the results of others as well, but THAT was catastrophic on a nuclear level!!

There are a lot of pictures of damage in Jefferson City on Facebook.  It looks like the worst damage was in a relatively short patch.  A lot of older buildings heavily damaged.  Rooftops off. Trees down.  Some walls blown out. Lots of windows broken,  etc.  But not complete devastation like Joplin. 

I haven't heard of any damage on the north side of the river - the side we live on.  We live some 25 miles north of Jefferson City and only got 1/2" of rain. 

I've checked with Doc Hurd who lives in Jefferson City area and he's ok. 

Prayers to all affected in the Jefferson City area.  My wife has family north of there near Columbia.  Tornadoes, I think, are the most severe of storms.   Helped with clean up after the one in 2008 in Windsor Colorado.  Amazingly, only one life lost and such a terrible mess.  They scare the H out of me.  

Mother Nature at her worst.  Not as bad as some of the others, but still major destruction.  So sorry.  Prayers up again for those folks.

Missouri River is flooding out of it’s banks tonight at Jeff City.  Dang.  As if the tornado wasn’t enough.

On ‎5‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 8:31 AM, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

That’s awful. My heart goes out to them.

Having lost a home to a fire when I was in high school,  I can say that it’s such a devastating sickening feeling when you lose everything. I was hoping to read that no lives were lost but that is not the case. Three people lost their lives.

You would think that with today’s technology that “we” would have better forecasting but tornadoes just cannot be accurately predicted and adequate warnings just can’t be gotten out in time to save lives and minimize injuries.

Prayers up.

Man proposes, God disposes, the weather is Gods province, man has no say in it...….

What will be coming next is more flooding. I live on a bluff over Truman Lake and the last I heard it was 26 feet above normal pool. There are 5 other lakes that feed into Truman which also are at dangerous levels. Truman feeds into the Lake of the Ozarks (Which alone has more shore line than California coast). That lake feeds into the Osage River which goes to the Missouri just East of Jefferson City. Truman at this time should have somewhere around 1,500 miles of shoreline. More rain is coming over the next 10 days so Missouri is getting into deep trouble with water. So thankful I live on the bluff way over the water. 

I thought they built Truman Lake to control the level of Lake of the Ozarks?   The Osage has been flooded in past week.  I seen video of a cabin sliding off into the river.  Many secondary roads are closed along the Missouri in Missouri.  Cedar City (what's left of it) north of Jefferson City is flooded across the whole flood plain.  

I'm no good with FB but here is a link to flood pictures on the Missouri River along our southern border of our county.

• 3 weeks later...

Probably gotten to be old news but the flooding continues along the lower Missouri,  its major tributaries and the Mississippi. Even away from the rivers,  we continue to get waves of thunderstorms that keep us under flash flood watches.  

Shot this video from our front porch after the rain slacked off.  It's just a little branch that you can step across. It normally flows around to the right but has jumped out and going across the field.  I can see the creek now and it's running bank full. It can get out of it's banks on our farm but never for very long.   

Sister just sent me a text.  She and husband was heading to Columbia but turned around when they came to a flooded place on a secondary highway.  

Sorry to hear that you folks can't get a break from the weather.  Praying for you all.  My wife has family in the Columbia and Fayette areas.

Archived