SASS Wire Forum

Trail Boss Load rifle 45LC

Major Bill

Looking for a cleaner load for Wild Bunch rifle shooting 200 RNFP. Trail Boss 5.7 gave me a PF of 172 and 861 speed. Powder 5.1 powered PF to 152.2 and speed of 647.

However it appeared to be dirtier rifle. Anyone have luck with different Trail Boss load for cleaner weapon?

I don't about this so-called 45LC, but 6.0 grains of Reddot behind a 200 RFN and good crimp in my 45 Colt rifles gives a clean burn.  Makes PF @~825fps.

51 minutes ago, Major Bill said:

Looking for a cleaner load for Wild Bunch rifle shooting 200 RNFP. Trail Boss 5.7 gave me a PF of 172 and 861 speed. Powder 5.1 powered PF to 152.2 and speed of 647.

However it appeared to be dirtier rifle. Anyone have luck with different Trail Boss load for cleaner weapon?

I was using 5.5 of TB as my go-to load.  Not sure I remember it being all that dirty

current is Red Dot 

If you want cleaner, you need to load heavy. Light loads will not seal the chamber and will be super dirty. I load 4.6 grains under a 200gr with a federal Magnum primers and just take all the parts out and brake clean them about every 4-600 rounds depending on gunk level. It's very similar in recoil to a 125 grain 38 over 3.1 grains of tightgroup

If cleanliness is the objective, increase the powder charge or weight of the bullet. I don't recommend anything less than 6.0 grains TB with a 200 gr bullet.  A heavier bullet with less powder - 230-250 gr produces better results because the case expands more with the increased pressure, thus sealing the chamber. If you really want clean, you can anneal the case mouth and achieve excellent results. I'd rather watch paint dry than anneal hundreds or thousands of cases.   IMO, that's what .44-40s are for.

The .45 Colt is a stiff, straight wall case that was never intended for our game. It performs better at the top end of the loading spectrum. If one must download the cartridge (and there are reasons to do so), there are certain compromises and accommodations that need to be performed/accepted which are dictated by the laws of physics. No getting around them. 

What you can live with is a personal decision. As always, YMMV.  :) 

6.2 grains of WST powder and a 200 grain bullet makes for a .45 Colt load that easily makes power factor and burns cleaner than most other powders.  Extremely accurate, too.  Although I like Red Dot as well for .45 Colt loads.

I never think of clean and TrailBoss in the same universe.    :lol:.

Good luck, GJ

13 hours ago, Major Bill said:

Howdy Bill,

The load I use with trailboss for WB is 4.6g with a 250g bullet from my 20” 73 it avg 170PF.  

I have tried numerous powders & bullets and one consistency I have found is that the 250g bullets produce the ‘cleanest’ results vs the same loads with a 200g or 180g bullet.  In practice, this was obvious just by inspecting the spent cases and the amount of fouling collecting on the carrier.

Good luck!

I use the 5.5 Grains of Trailboss behind a 200 grain RNFP.   I use this loading in my rifles and my revolvers.  It works.  Has good accuracy, very light recoil in the revolvers and none at all in the rifles, and just plain works well.

Yes, it is a little dirty, but so what?   After the match run a few patches soaked with Hoppes #9 down the bore, squirt some gun scrubber through the action to flush out any gunk, wipe it all down, oil the moving parts, and the gun is clean.  Takes all of five minutes.

And if you're not running a Lightning, which needs to be kept clean, you can probably go a match or three before you really need to clean it.

Thanks for input. Will increase up to 5.5g for now and then will try a heaver bullet, 250g, when my stock runs out. Have a great day

do try some at 5.8 TB, the diff. in recoil is minor as compared to 5.5, but the burn is much better,  Cases will still show soot but not as much as lower loads of Tb. The real answer is a heavier bullet. 

I'm shooting 5.5 of TB driving a 250 grain bullet.

I do find it a little on the hefty side in my New Model Vaqueros, but HEY! I'm a WARTHOG!

Archived