SASS Wire Forum

SASS on TV in Central Illinois!!

Lawdog Dago Dom

Bob Larson and Tom McIntyre are longtime news anchors, now retired, in the Peoria/Bloomington area. They run a monthly feature called, "Bob and Tom's Excellent Adventures," on WMBD and WYZZ TV. We sent them an email about Cowboy Action Shooting. They never heard of it. So we exchanged some emails and text messages, and they decided to do it. They wanted to interview us at home, but we decided having the inside of our house shown onTV probably was not good for home security. So we met at a western clothing store, and then filmed a match at the McLean County Peacemakers range at Darnall's Gun Works in Bloomington, IL. In this crazy time. hopefully people will see that you can have fun with guns and be safe. And maybe get a new cowboy shooter or two.  You will have to let me know who looks better, me or Shortcake!

https://www.centralillinoisproud.com/news/local-news/bob-tom-s-excellent-adventures-wild-west-right-here-in-central-illinois/2019024270

1 hour ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Did the reporters give it a go?

OLG

They did not. But their camera man, 20 something kid, had never fired a gun before and wanted to shoot the shotgun. I told him since he was at a range with use of many guns and free ammo, why not try them all? He quickly agreed. The gun belt could have went around him twice, and we popped at hat on his head. Shortcake showed him how to load the pistols, and I did the rifle. His first shot with the pistol hit steel, and he was beaming! Like a kid on Christmas morning. We could not use the studio camera to tape him (no idea why) but he gave Shortcake his cell phone and she recorded him as we went through the stage. He asked if he could come back, and we said to bring a friend. He is a junior reporter right out of college who does a story now and then. But we have a couple of media members who think cowboy shooting is pretty cool. And that's a good thing.:D

6 minutes ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

Bravo. again Dom! It seems that the best we can do is, one reporter at a time. ;)

And there it is.

This young cub reporter/camera man has his entire career before him. Wherever he goes he will remember he had fun and was treated well.

Great job you two. That was a very well done piece. Straight to the point and no wasted air time. Showed what CAS is meant to be, a mix of fun and competition.

Hope you can make it to Fall Round-up in Milan in September. In will be a great match.

Wow, excellent "gun" story for ILLINOIS, with no blood shed!!!  Lawdog you did an outstanding thing for SASS!!!  The next time I come home to Illinois I need to find the McLean County Peacemakers" and shoot with you and buy you lunch/dinner.  My parents live about an 1 1/2 hrs. southeast of you so hopefully within the next 6 months I'll be up that way again. 

Thank you for those kind words.

I think what sells the story best is that we are genuine in our love for the game. People can spot a phony a mile away, as you just demonstrated by your comment.

It would be a pleasure shooting with you, and we all grab a bite together after a match. No need to buy me a thing. Save that for some newby trying to get into the game who could use an extra thing or two.

Thanks again for the compliment.

Archived